Lethal Injection

Go ahead. Talk about it.
stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » February 26th, 2006, 2:10 am

Glorious Amok

Post by Glorious Amok » February 26th, 2006, 3:26 pm

well, i don't think that capital punishment is theatre.

theatre is meant to be a religious rite which transfigures it's participants with the Dionysian healing powers of catharsis. and by "religious" i mean of the old tribal earth religions, not the neo-state-approved RC variety.

if capital punishment could heal like that, i would be adamantly for it. but it's neither theatrical, nor healing. it's mechanical, automated, and meant to be somehow efficient, a quality which isn't human in the least.
"YOUR way is your only way." - jack kerouac

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » February 26th, 2006, 3:52 pm

What I meant by referring to capital punishment as theater is that they have an audience which watches a person being put to death.

It's a public lynching.

It's a show.

I didn't mean it in the sense that a theatrical experience transforms an audience to the point where they have to suspend disbelief and enter a world of fantasy which can be enlightening. That's the theater you're talking about, oGloriousOne.

Capital punishment is more like Reality TV.

Dave The Dov

Post by Dave The Dov » February 26th, 2006, 5:29 pm

Like Bob Dylan sang in the song "Desolation Row". "They're selling postcards of the hanging".
Last edited by Dave The Dov on March 19th, 2009, 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ill commandante

Post by ill commandante » March 14th, 2006, 6:53 pm

We were in lynching for the money mostly. The Klan thing is just business with my family. We haven't the ambition to take up full fleged racisim. If we did, we'd find better employment than that. You're always gonna lose when the public takes up lynching. They can't manage spectacle effectively and all that investment goes to entertain a small room full of observers. We were banned from competition by The State Of Alabama, and sent packing when we showed how to make a little money off a hanging. Maybe The Iraqis could pick up some cash for reconstruction if they sold hanging rights to the networks, now that they're back in full swing.
For God & Drugs!

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » March 14th, 2006, 7:22 pm

Hello ill commandante.

Who are the "we" you are referring to?

lenny

Post by lenny » March 16th, 2006, 7:58 am

If you believe in capital punishment then you must be ready to administer the needle. Human judgement is too fallible and the scenarios for every murderer are different. Some murders are acts of premeditated hatred, some, outbursts of uncontrolled emotion. When I was in Afghanistan there was a public hanging of four men convicted of murdering four French drug smugglers and it was announced in advance so that all the residents of Kandahar could be present to watch. I left Kandahar the day before the scheduled hanging for Kabul. Two sicknesses don't equal one cure. We are such a weird species.

lenny
None of us ever gets anything we don't either need or deserve. Dry those liquid emotions and move on.

Return to “General Discussion”