i believe in the Peter Principle

Go ahead. Talk about it.
Doreen Peri
Site Admin

i believe in the Peter Principle

Post by Doreen Peri » March 28th, 2006, 5:55 pm

I have risen to my level of incompetence.

What should a person do when this happens?

I confess.. I haven't read the book. Is there any advice in there?

Or.... do you have any advice for me?

Have you ever risen to your level of incompetence?

If so, what did you do to rectify it?

Just curious.

Artguy

Post by Artguy » March 28th, 2006, 6:20 pm

Ya ....I start all over again on something else until I get that wrong.....round and round we go....oh ya did i mention it's my B-day today.???

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » March 28th, 2006, 6:48 pm

:shock: I love that... "start all over on something else until i get that wrong" lol... :lol: sounds like a plan! Now I just have to figure out what to start 'cause i'm really screwing up what i'm doing now

Your birthday? Today? Wow... cool!

Happy Birthday to you, Kurt!!!!

Whatchya gonna do to celebrate?

Artguy

Post by Artguy » March 28th, 2006, 6:50 pm

Middle east Dinner and Arak....the Tequilla's all gone....and DSOM real loud....

Arcadia

Post by Arcadia » March 28th, 2006, 7:42 pm

Peter's what_ . I don't understand...

Feliz cumplea;os artguy!!! Have a great year!

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » March 29th, 2006, 6:55 am

I don’t believe you Doreen. The Peter Principle works in a bureaucracy. I think Artman is right; you just have to have more than one project going at a time. When you get stuck on one you move on to something else and comeback to it.

I think you are just hitting a dip in the roller coaster ride of the ego trip. That thing with your purse has got to be a blow to your self esteem. Our poor little ego, it gets hammered between the Id and the Superego

I am suffering from the Red Queen Principle myself. Life in this world of hurry up and go.

The Red Queen Principle

"This principle was proposed by the evolutionary biologist L. van Valen (1973), and is based on the observation to Alice by the Red Queen in Lewis Carroll's "Through the Looking Glass" that "in this place it takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same place."

http://pespmc1.vub.ac.be/REDQUEEN.html

Artman I wish you many happy returns of yesterday. I hope you did not get burned blowing out all those candles. :)

Arcadia

The generalized "Peter Principle"
"in evolution systems tend to develop up to the limit of their adaptive competence
The Peter Principle was first introduced by L. Peter in a humoristic book (of the same title) describing the pitfalls of bureaucratic..."

http://pespmc1.vub.ac.be/PETERPR.html

lenny

Post by lenny » March 29th, 2006, 7:51 am

Wow, this Peter Principle is a little too deep for me. I thought it was going to be about one of the potential reasons my wife left me! I tried to tell her that the 'peter' principle was too overblown and she replied "Yeah, I wish it was!" She used to call me 'deedle nick, the fug bucker'. Sorry, if this percocet humor is not acceptable here just delete this post. I am feeling a little naughty this morning, not to mention what a three year drought can do to a man! Ouch, there's something else blue and it's NOT the moon! ls.

Piece...I mean Peace,

lenny ( I swear it's the percs!)
None of us ever gets anything we don't either need or deserve. Dry those liquid emotions and move on.

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » March 29th, 2006, 8:18 am

lenny
I been running your "as fate would have it" post through my mind. Not ready to reply, I just don't want to reply with a platitude. I think I may have driven close to 2 million miles, so my thoughts about the road run to my core.
But let me say this much for now, I am happy you are okay.
I have your limbo stories saved from litkicks. I think you left off at #5, or at least that is all I have. Is there more? I sure would like to read them if there is.

Doreen I love the word "reify" no such thing as the Id, Ego, and Superego, just constructs, but Crazy Mike was big on freud, and that was the holy trinity of my childhood. I am living proof that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » March 29th, 2006, 1:21 pm

Arcadia - Truckin posted a good link about the Peter Principle. Here's a link to the book. The Peter Principle

Lenny - yer a funny guy! ;)

Truckin- Believe me. It's true! I wouldn't say it unless it were true. I passed the level of my own incompetence probably 2 years ago. I don't know what to do about it. Limbo stories? I wrote limbo stories? Yer kidding! I'm incompetent. You saved them but I didn't. You must be more competitent than me. Could you email them to me please? I'd appreciate it!

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » March 29th, 2006, 1:45 pm

Well my incompetence is showing I thought i had made it clear that the limbo stories were written by lenny or somebody like him who used the name lenny z.
lenny
I been running your "as fate would have it" post through my mind. Not ready to reply, I just don't want to reply with a platitude. I think I may have driven close to 2 million miles, so my thoughts about the road run to my core.
But let me say this much for now, I am happy you are okay.
I have your limbo stories saved from litkicks. I think you left off at #5, or at least that is all I have. Is there more? I sure would like to read them if there is
Who am I to tell you about your competence? I assumed you were talking about your day job. Not your writing.

Ride The Ego Trip was a funny bit from a comedy album in the seventies called Conception Land.

I am just a truck driver. Oh whesssssssss, but I am the greatest truck driver ever. But I am just a truck driver. Oh wheeeeeeeee...

Your up your down
it drags you all around
ride the ego trip

I am smart I am dumb
it is all an ego trip
when I feel ugly and fat nothing but ego
when I am beautiful and slim
still the ego trip

poor little ego, no happy medium

I forget where I read it
must have been mtmynd
Sam Yang private eye.

Yinging and yanging
in my padded skull
today is beautiful
still spring
cool with a possibility of more rain
plenty of trains
Last edited by stilltrucking on March 30th, 2006, 2:59 am, edited 4 times in total.

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » March 29th, 2006, 2:15 pm

Whoops... sorry i misunderstood! See? I TOLD ya I was incompetent. Thought you meant stories I wrote.

This Lenny posting here didn't ever go to Litkicks, I don't think.

Musta been somebody else.

Marksman45

Post by Marksman45 » March 29th, 2006, 3:08 pm

The secret to being good at anything:
<b>Do what you know how to do, then act as if you know how to do everything else.</b>
-- SARK

Imagine yourself magic and act accordingly, and results will follow.

<b>The first step to doing anything is believing you have the capability to do it.</b>
-- me.

Call that the Mars Principle :)

judih
Site Admin

Post by judih » March 29th, 2006, 3:18 pm

Not about Peter (but i thought it was don't rob from peter to give to paul - or was it mary?)

but about Lenny's Limbo series - yes, he posted them at the story board at Litkicks. Wonderful group - i gave them as a reading assignment to one of my favourite students before he travelled to India.

great stories.

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » March 29th, 2006, 3:35 pm

ten four j, i loved them too.
I tried to find them on litkicks but no luck, I have them saved to my HD but I don't think I should repost them here without permission. Do you remember this story by jenninot?

http://www.litkicks.com/BeatPages/msgAr ... &parent=-1

Mars I suppose what is on the back of my mind is PTSD nothing to do with all this. SARK is sunshine to me.
Last edited by stilltrucking on March 29th, 2006, 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » March 29th, 2006, 5:56 pm

Cool website... this SARK site

http://www.planetsark.com/index.htm

very clever

thanks, Mars!

Return to “General Discussion”