Latin America shifting to the left?

What in the world is going on?
microbe

Latin America shifting to the left?

Post by microbe » April 4th, 2006, 4:30 am

The BBC have started putting some tv broadcasts on the web so people can view their programmes more widely. Last night's "Newsnight" program featured a half hour on the politics of South America and an interview with Hugo Chavez.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/n ... efault.stm

Click top right "Newsnight Player" then when new link opens top right again "Newsnight: watch the latest programme" They are doing a week long special on South America so there will be a new feature every day. Its worth watching just to watch the reporter rile the American politician.

jimboloco

Post by jimboloco » April 4th, 2006, 10:22 am

Thanks for posting this!By the way, Monday on Democracy Now, Noam Chomsky said Presidente Chavez of Venezuela has read several of his books.I would like to follow this, have 2 long work days coming up, so will continue with this after.Will you bee posting more on this, please?
Ironically, by invading Iraq, George W Bush has boosted oil prices and effectively transferred billions of dollars from American consumers to the Venezuelan government. :mrgreen:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4871938.stm
for a video news report of the Chavez story, excellent
http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/avdb/news_w ... 6x9_nb.ram

So nowI get it, follow the link you posted and can see the week's stories.Tuesday's child ain't up here yet butI will check in.
What gets me is the absolute assenine position of the neo-cons about Venezuela and allI can say is, too fucking bad, man.
Viva Venezuela libre!
Do the Stop&Go at Citgo!
[color=darkcyan]i'm on a survival mission
yo ho ho an a bottle of rum om[/color]

e_dog

Post by e_dog » April 4th, 2006, 10:42 pm

!Viva la izquierda! ?pero es Chavez la verdad izquierda?
I don't think 'Therefore, I am.' Therefore, I am.

Arcadia

Post by Arcadia » April 6th, 2006, 1:27 pm

well, sometimes it's better not to be so purista... (but I can't say if this is the case...)

e_dog

Post by e_dog » June 24th, 2006, 11:50 pm

Apparently, Venezuela wants to get a vacant seat on the Security Council and the U.S. representatives to the UN are trying to oppose it.

shouldn't countries know now that, basically, they should just vote the opposite of what the US imperial government wants them to do? how could any self-respecting politician supposedly representing his or her nation go along with what Bush and his conspirators tell them to do?

Venezuela should get the seat simply because Chavez is one of the few world leaders with the cahones to stand up to Bush.

Dave The Dov

Post by Dave The Dov » June 25th, 2006, 7:49 am

Look at what happened in the past down there. They want a change from all of it.
Last edited by Dave The Dov on March 19th, 2009, 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arcadia

Post by Arcadia » June 25th, 2006, 3:52 pm

cojones, e/dog, cojones (here we say instead huevos). Mmm, but maybe you wanted to say cajones... (that's more problematic...)

jimboloco

Post by jimboloco » June 27th, 2006, 10:53 am

we'll meet ya in caracas, arcadia!
two articles from th spring, '06, vvaw'z th veteran

World Social Forum 2006 in Caracas, Venezuela

Chavez's Venezuela
cojones, cajonez, mas problematica contra los coños,
huevos rancheros para la desayuna, por favor,
y mas tortillas tambien,
si vous plaît,
look at what the coños did thru the USofA's
La Escuela de las Américas, La Escuela de Asesinos,
the school of th americas at ft benning, georgia,
home of ranger training,
by sleepy columbia,
where an onslaught, a deluge, of peace activicts
converge each november, led by padre Roy Bourgeois,
ain't nuttin bourgeoiz about th dude,
former navyboat cap'n on th viet cong delta,
fell off his donkey an became a saint,
mercy, th opposito of th boy pretender

Furthermore, a growing US presence also introduced a sizable, unfortunately monolingual English-speaking audience, who at times felt frustrated in the Spanish environment. In a show of cultural pride, many indigenous speakers from throughout Latin America and North America gave their talks or posed their questions first in their native languages, and then in either Spanish or English. ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
While many in the US corporate media (and even among sectors of the Democratic opposition to the Bush administration) seek to portray Hugo Chávez as a determined enemy of the United States, it must be recognized that he and many others on the Latin American left are making a direct and open appeal to US progressives to join their Latin American counterparts in forging alternatives to an oppressive world system. The future vectors and dynamics of such North-South political cooperation cannot be predicted, but it occurred to many at the forum that the potential for such cooperation is enormous.
and,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
The power of Venezuela's exampleis also seen in military affairs. Recently, Argentina and Uruguay have decided that they will no longer send soldiers to train at the School of the Americas (the "School of Assassins") at Fort Benning, a step Venezuela took in January 2004. As a result, efforts by the Bush administration to punish, pressure, and undermine and isolate Venezuela can be expected to intensify.

However, these efforts by the Bush administration to undermine Venezuela can only flourish if people in the United States allow it. Here are some things you could do to counteract the Bush administration's war against Venezuela: and check it out, amigas y amigos! olé :!:

Last edited by jimboloco on June 28th, 2006, 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Arcadia

Post by Arcadia » June 27th, 2006, 7:11 pm

jimbo: I prefer to say hola to Evo in Bolivia (I don't need passport for that!). Some friends of mine wanted to go to Venezuela for the foro last summer but they changed their idea and endend in the deeeeeep south!.

jimboloco

Post by jimboloco » June 28th, 2006, 7:48 am

mercy a bit cooler around Lago Titicaca, estoy en agradable, amiga.

What happened with the latest elections in Peru?

ps, it's summer in Venezuela and winter in Argentina, all at th same time!

e_dog

Post by e_dog » February 16th, 2007, 3:54 am

!El senor Chavez tiene los huevos para suspender(?) la democratia!

!Viva el dictador de los campesinos, por los campesinos y para los campesinos!

No es necessario para tener la libertad.

Por lo menos, no es necessario en los estados unidos. Ni venezuela. !Ni nadie!

Arcadia

Post by Arcadia » February 16th, 2007, 12:27 pm

"!El senor Chavez tiene los huevos para suspender(?) la democratia! ", well, I don´t know!!

"No es necessario para tener la libertad", maybe. I also don´t like the idea.

La Suma del Poder Público and the militarism is an old tradition in these lands. Cfr. Rosas (consider one of the great anti imperialists for some people here) during the S. XIX, Juan D. Perón during the XX century.

"Por lo menos, no es necessario en los estados unidos", sure I agree with this.

Arcadia

Post by Arcadia » February 17th, 2007, 10:02 am

some things Chavez is doing with the superpowers aprobados by the Venezuela Congress:

. the bolívar with three less zeros
. fight against inflación (a classic)
. try to estabilizar food prices and intent nationalization of big comercios (supermercados) and food industries.

I still don´t understand at all what happens with the oil and the oil industries in Venezuela.

Return to “Culture, Politics, Philosophy”