2007 Edge Question: What are You Optimistic About? Why?

What in the world is going on?
whimsicaldeb

2007 Edge Question: What are You Optimistic About? Why?

Post by whimsicaldeb » January 3rd, 2007, 1:24 pm

Source:
http://edge.org/q2007/q07_index.html
The Edge Annual Question — 2007
WHAT ARE YOU OPTIMISTIC ABOUT? WHY?

As an activity, as a state of mind, science is fundamentally optimistic. Science figures out how things work and thus can make them work better. Much of the news is either good news or news that can be made good, thanks to ever deepening knowledge and ever more efficient and powerful tools and techniques. Science, on its frontiers, poses more and ever better questions, ever better put.
What are you optimistic about? Why? Surprise us!

-----

GOT OPTIMISM?
THE WORLD'S LEADING THINKERS SEE GOOD NEWS AHEAD

While conventional wisdom tells us that things are bad and getting worse, scientists and the science-minded among us see good news in the coming years. That's the bottom line of an outburst of high-powered optimism gathered from the world-class scientists and thinkers who frequent the pages of Edge, in an ongoing conversation among third culture thinkers (i.e., those scientists and other thinkers in the empirical world who, through their work and expository writing, are taking the place of the traditional intellectual in rendering visible the deeper meanings of our lives, redefining who and what we are.)

The 2007 Edge Question marks the 10th anniversary of Edge, which began in December, 1996 as an email to about fifty people. In 2006, Edge had more than five million individual user sessions.

I am pleased to present the 2007 Edge Question:

What Are You Optimistic About? Why?

The 160 responses to this year's Edge Question span topics such as string theory, intelligence, population growth, cancer, climate and much much more. Contributing their optimistic visions are a who's who of interesting and important world-class thinkers.

Got optimism? Welcome to the conversation!

Happy New Year!

John Brockman
Publisher & Editor
January 1, 2007
I haven't read them all yet ... however one of my favorite people is ALUN ANDERSON; Senior Consultant (and Former Editor-In-Chief and Publishing Director), New Scientist and he wrote this ...
The Sunlight-Powered Future
I'm optimistic about…a pair of very big numbers. The first is 4.5 x 10ˆ20. That is the current world annual energy use, measured in joules. It is a truly huge number and not usually a cause for optimism as 70 per cent of that energy comes from burning fossil fuels.

Thankfully, the second number is even bigger: 3,000,000 x 10ˆ20 joules. That is the amount of clean, green energy that pours down on the Earth totally free of charge every year. The Sun is providing 7,000 times as much energy as we are using, which leaves plenty for developing China, India and everyone else. How can we not be optimistic? We don't have a long-term energy problem. Our only worries are whether we can find smart ways to use that sunlight efficiently and whether we can move quickly enough from the energy systems we are entrenched in now to the ones we should be using. Given the perils of climate change and dependence on foreign energy, the motivation is there.

Can it be done? I'm lucky that as a writer I get to meet some of the world's brightest scientists each year, and I know that out there are plenty of radical new ideas for a future in which sunlight is turned straight into the forms of energy we need. Here are just three of my favourites out of scores of great ideas. First, reprogramming the genetic make-up of simple organisms so that they directly produce useable fuels (hydrogen, for example). That will be much more efficient than today's fashionable new bioethanol programs because they will cut out all the energy wasted in growing a crop, then harvesting it and then converting its sugars into fuel. Second, self-organizing polymer solar cells. Silicon solar cells may be robust and efficient but they are inevitably small and need a lot of energy to make. Self-organizing polymer cells could be ink jetted onto plastics by the hectare, creating dirt cheap solar cells the size of advertising hoardings. Third, there's artificial photosynthesis. Nature uses a different trick from silicon solar cells to capture light energy, whipping away high-energy electrons from photo-pigments into a separate system in a few thousand millionths of a second. We are getting much closer to understanding how it's done, and even how to use the same principles in totally different nano-materials.
But what of the pessimist's view that we can are just too entrenched in our current energy systems to change? There is a world-wide boom in investment in green technology already under way. And there are many transition technologies coming into operation that enable practice runs for more radical genome reprogramming and creation of new nano-structures. Although the consensus view is that the sunlight-powered future won't be taking over until 2050, I'd place an optimistic bet that one of the many smart ideas being researched now will turn out to be an unforeseen winner much earlier.
I agree with his assessment and need look no further than to the current success of things like google, or even youtube how they’ve become staples in our lives; to see the truth of those future 'unforeseen' successes heading for our doorstep(s).

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » January 3rd, 2007, 8:46 pm

Yep everything is peachy
For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow.
Hard for me to take you serious on this one Deb.

We have tried to have a conversation about this before, you wound up flaming me.

I hope I can survive another day. That is the extent my optimism.

http://www.studioeight.tv/phpbb/viewtop ... 83&start=0

tarbaby
Location: Oz, or someplace like Kansas, but mostly stilltrucking's vanity

Post by tarbaby » January 3rd, 2007, 10:13 pm

We want to feel good about ourselves
because our bio-diesel E-85 four wheeler with its infernal combution engine farts less pollutants into this ocean of air that surrounds us
but everything will be peachy because we will have solar powered cars in fifty years, and maybe that wacko englisman over at oxford is right and six billion people will have been dead by then cause the earth temp went up 8 degrees.

I love science
I love scientists
I love science fiction too
It always gives me hope for the future, and concern.

So much of it good and bad turns out to be not fiction after all

So I got ying yang thing gone
they say men and women reach the same conclusions for different reasons
not to digress but it is a white matter gray matter antomical matter

well anyway
I got this schizoid optomistic/pessismistic view of the future
say the wheel year 2057
if that egg head englishman is right there will be six billion less people in the world, we will survive as a species but in a less fruitful and multiplicitous six hundred million people. Something to do with an eight degree rise in the earths ambient temperature...
Gaia scientist Lovelock predicts planetary wipeout
Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:12am ET
http://today.reuters.com/news/articlene ... rss&rpc=22
Then on the other hand in 1995 if China had gone for the electric car things would not look so bleak to me today.

http://www.studioeight.tv/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=7484

Zlatko Waterman

Post by Zlatko Waterman » January 3rd, 2007, 10:37 pm

My wife is a Math teacher and scientist. Because of her influence, I bask in the clarity of the scientific approach.

But she's a romantic too or we wouldn't have been married 22 years.

Scientists have a wonderful outlook. They observe carefully and then challenge those observations critically, with intense concentration and relentless cross-examination. They love elegant solutions, the kind both cancer researchers and poets find.

Such is not the way of politicians, the ones who operate the nuke triggers.

GWB consults phantoms conjured from the ether. Jesus is his pal and tells him a "surge" in troop levels is the best way out of the miasma into which he has unthoughtfully and inattentively plunged my country, our resources and our lives.

So I am not optimistic about him and his enclave of believers. And I am not optimistic about their "faith-based" wars and adventures in the stock market.

I am optimistic about scientists, and animals, and children, the best artists and dreamers of all.

Happy New Year everybody!

--Z

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » January 3rd, 2007, 10:41 pm

I don't know if it counts as optimism but I am hoping for a boring year. Just like Dunbar in Catch 22. I want this year to drag on forever. I don't think I can surivive 2008.

It is good to know that brilliant minds are working on long term solutions , but we need some quick fixes, some mundane miracles, like an electric car.

I am just a bitter old man I suppose.
We need political solutions we have the technology, we just don't have politcians with the courage to risk their political futures on their convictions.
"thats the problem with politicians, the ninety percent who give the other ten percent a bad name."

tarbaby
Location: Oz, or someplace like Kansas, but mostly stilltrucking's vanity

Post by tarbaby » January 3rd, 2007, 11:30 pm

I am optimistic for California
I love that state.
There was a law in California that 10 percent of all cars would have to be electric by a certain date. But then the law was overturned and so was that electric car.
All these disclosures about peoples credit files being compromised, it has been going on for years but after Californians passed a law that the credit beaureaus had to inform a customer that his credit information had been compromised it became big news nationaly.

Yeah I am optimistic for women and children, the passion of poets and scientists.

I wish they could all be california girls.
“Where is that man who has forgotten words that I may have a word with him?”

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » January 4th, 2007, 12:01 am

I did not see this when I posted Norman. We must have been posting at the same time.

Such is not the way of politicians, the ones who operate the nuke triggers.

GWB consults phantoms conjured from the ether. Jesus is his pal and tells him a "surge" in troop levels is the best way out of the miasma into which he has unthoughtfully and inattentively plunged my country, our resources and our lives.

So I am not optimistic about him and his enclave of believers. And I am not optimistic about their "faith-based" wars and adventures in the stock market.
I must have got some weird weed
Sitting here thinking I sound like a electric car fanatic, a true believer

and then I start thinking about politicians like hitler. Where is dr porsche and our electric volkswagon.

sorry I ramble,
I know that this is probably sick
but hitler is dead,
he don't worry me as much as 43
oh well
hitler sure had the courage of his convictions
don't mind me deb
got damn stupid war
stupid george
stupid Osama
I been wondering about those muslim martyrs
they get 72 virgins in paradise
and I wonder what is waiting for them in hell
72 witches of buchenwald?

Zlatko Waterman

Post by Zlatko Waterman » January 4th, 2007, 1:02 am

Dear t-baby:

I live in California and have lived here for 30 years. It's a great place in some ways, where an "action figure" governor can make a political 180-degree turn on some issues . . .

But I worry about things like the 800,000 students, faculty and staff who were just electronically "mugged" here . . .

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me ... -headlines

--Z

whimsicaldeb

Post by whimsicaldeb » January 4th, 2007, 1:29 pm

Zlatko Waterman wrote:Dear t-baby:

I live in California and have lived here for 30 years. It's a great place in some ways, where an "action figure" governor can make a political 180-degree turn on some issues . . .

But I worry about things like the 800,000 students, faculty and staff who were just electronically "mugged" here . . .

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me ... -headlines

--Z
Oh-ho! Thanks for the link Norman, hadn't heard about that one ... interesting. Security and the internet - an ever ongoing adventure and yet here we all are; still using it.

More and more I'm thinking that Douglas Rushkoff's correct (emphasis added by me) ..

Peer Review: Invading Our Own Privacy
We grumble about prying eyes, yet we love to upload our identities onto the Web.
By Douglas Rushkoff
DISCOVER Vol. 27 No. 09 | September 2006 | Technology

http://www.discover.com/issues/sep-06/d ... ngprivacy/
...What is so hard to reconcile, though, in an era when the Bush administration must answer for every phone log it scans in search of possible "terror" links, is why so many people volunteer their personal information to an even wider audience. How can we be creeped out by the increasing invasiveness of security cameras or the collection of market research on every family member yet simultaneously be drawn to any opportunity to share the most intimate facts about ourselves with the world at large?

Wherever there's a seeming paradox in media culture, there's usually a larger, if unspoken, issue being played out. Indeed, there's more going on here than government paranoia, market forces, or even a cultural inclination for exhibitionism. Were we observing a species other than ourselves, it would probably become immediately apparent just how much time and energy those creatures are dedicating to the sole purpose of being able to know what all the other ones are thinking or doing at any moment in time.

It's as if we humans are not simply wiring up a communications infrastructure but creating a shared platform for self-awareness as a collective organism. And this goal—this almost instinctive push toward gaining access to one another—far outweighs our concern over how this data might be used. The priorities of the incipient group "metabeing" may already be running the show. In fact, decades or perhaps centuries from now, we may come to a very different understanding of what was going on in the early 21st century, when the parallel developments of surveillance, recognition, and search technologies seemed motivated by such topical concerns as marketing, terrorism, and fetish.

Only then, on the other side of this engineered evolutionary leap, will we be in a position to understand what this globally networked game of show-and-tell was really all about.

Return to “Culture, Politics, Philosophy”