Obama's Quiet Revolution

What in the world is going on?
Non Sum

Post by Non Sum » February 9th, 2010, 3:14 pm

MT: sounds as though ol' NS feels capitalism has no limits nor should have no limits..

NS: I went to some trouble explaining the need for criminal law enforcement, AND regulation appropriate to businesses, with oversight comparable to umpires and referees in sports. So, of course, you'd assume I am advocating "no limits." Duh. :?

Why not say that I favor communism, since I spoke against that as well?

I see the crux of our agrument as my wanting ALL organizations and individuals to have the same 'legal' right to governmental access. No one should be denied this constitutional right because: they are too big, too rich, too any damn noun someone else doesn't especially like. I find the ACLU to be a perfect model in this. They defend the political rights of an NAACP, just as quickly as they would a KKK. This is because equal rights under the law transcends 'whose' rights are at issue.

Let me ask you this: what makes you so sure that a united corporate world would be inferior to a world of (often) waring nations? Business once created the middleclass, ended the feudal era, helped to create modern republics and democracy. Isn't it conceivable that business may bring us more such gifts in the future (e.g. a world united, with wars illegal)?

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » February 13th, 2010, 5:40 pm

How's things with you today, NS? Today begins a new moon which is a good time to begin new projects should you (or anyone else reading this) have something pending in the wings.

I've been busy since our return from Tucson with various things going on in the life of moi and my mate... nothing too serious, just have-to-do chores and projects to keep our wheels a'turnin'...

NS: I went to some trouble explaining the need for criminal law enforcement, AND regulation appropriate to businesses, with oversight comparable to umpires and referees in sports. So, of course, you'd assume I am advocating "no limits." Duh.

You sure did, amigo! But you left off the winkie-emoticon, which I use has a 'wink and a nod' which is the best I know how to convey 'kidding' or 'not to be taken seriously.' Please accept my apology for any misunderstanding. You explained yourself very well, thank you.

NS: They (ACLU) defend the political rights of an NAACP, just as quickly as they would a KKK. This is because equal rights under the law transcends 'whose' rights are at issue.

Equal rights, it seems to me, in order to be equal would necessitate an equal playing field to play equally in affording these equal rights. I don't see that level of equality when a large corporate entity has the power, (wealth) to trip the equality very easily to their favor. We're aware of say, the Pharma Corp is the largest investor on Washington's K Street lobbyists. Now if you or I as example were to find a cure for colon cancer that would cost $10. and we wanted to get this cure out to patients who are suffering with this disease, the Pharma Corp would either attempt a buy-out of this inexpensive cure or if that were not possible, a mass marketing attack would be the next battle tactic we simple and ill-equipped folks would have no equal footing to counter the misleading attacks mounted against us by these forces.

NS: Let me ask you this: what makes you so sure that a united corporate world would be inferior to a world of (often) waring [sic] nations? Business once created the middleclass, ended the feudal era, helped to create modern republics and democracy. Isn't it conceivable that business may bring us more such gifts in the future (e.g. a world united, with wars illegal)?

That is a very good question, N(icely) S(aid)... and worthy of discussion. Let me begin -

NS: ... what makes you so sure that a united corporate world would be inferior...

I'm not sure. But the idea of a United Corporate World would not please me and since I'm not pleased with what I envision in that scenario I will rebel against that... knowing that world will not be a world any of us will be living in any time soon, if at all.

When Nations go thru economical difficulties, like we've been going thru for 2 years plus, we find that those problems more often than not may be attributable to corporate interests. Our current health problems that currently plague us in some form or another seems as though the Phama Corp simply continues doing the easy thing for them to do - raise prices. Our banking system does basically the same thing - raise rates for services. Time Warner Corp. just recently informed (warned?) it's subscribers of but another price increase. My bet is the blue collar workers wrapped in their cubicle or the crews out on the streets are not getting any raises, but rather are experiencing higher prices for health insurance.

When powerful corporations want more money they raise rates... the corporations that have become dealers in items and services that the general populace have to or have come to rely upon for their personal lives.

I cannot comfortably imagine a Corporate World in charge of our government solely because it is the business of such corporate policy to continue raising prices regardless of any purposeful use other than to raise their stock values and therefore their stockholders interests. The general public who cannot afford, or has no desire to play, that game (and it is a game) ends up paying the piper until they're in hock for life. A government such as a democracy is run by the freedom of the citizens to vote, which ideally should surpass that of corporate rule, which doesn't have a great interest in this freedom fo the citizens as much as they care about profit making even at the expense of the citizenry.

Sure, my words are purely speculation just as one's financial investment in a race horse or a stock interest found on Wall Street... it is pure speculation. But to have a government that is pure speculation is a different, a much different game... a game that either elevates a Nation's people or ruins their hopes and dreams. I'd much rather prefer to gamble on a sound government of the people, for the people, and by the people rather than gambling my future on the possible greed and deception of a corporate CEO... a modern day aristocracy in their high-rise castles remaining aloof to the needs of the people.

NS: Isn't it conceivable that business may bring us more such gifts in the future (e.g. a world united, with wars illegal)?

Anything is conceivable in the mind's of the imaginative, but who is this business that will bear gifts like Wise men from the past? They may offer a drop of gold in return for their protection and false promises but should we trust them to run our government like a profit driven corporation from which they and they alone engorge themselves on the profits made by the low wage employees?

Sure, these same corporate heads know how the public will rush to buy the latest fashion, the latest automobile innovation, the latest electronic/digital gadget that promises more freedom and flex and more entertainment just to make sure. Let's not forget the corporate drugs makers who come up with the latest concoction that will require a lifetime of consuming lest you die far too young... keeping their profits coming in monthly like a golden goose.

How long has the hu'man proliferated on this planet..? "The appearance of Homo sapiens is dated at about half a million years, and of anatomically modern Homo sapiens at about a hundred thousand years, values that are also supported by genomic evidence." - re: astrobiology.nasa.gov

Using 100,000 years for we modern Homo sapiens, how many of our relatives relied upon the drug industry to allow them to spread their genes up to this day and age in which we live? The point being it is not our 'modern drugs' that gives us our very life, the same life we've all come from for the past one hundred thousand years, but our hu'manity itself. The Pharma Corp would have us believe that we will all perish from the earth if we don't ingest their products... or would love for us to believe that strongly in their products.

Well, Non Sum... that about covers my opinions in your last reply. Unfortunately, I have noticed that I did not reply to the post before this one of yours. Last Monday while sitting in our rented room in Tucson, I spent over one hour replying to that 2.07 Sunday reply of yours. I'm sorry you missed it. :) My ineptness (still) in using a laptop caused me to erroneously click the window closed and closed it did like a good soldier obeying it's commands, sending that lengthy piece into the great cyber-void never to be found again (I presume). I just didn't have it in me that day due to time constraints, nor do I have it in me today to reply to that as much as I'm tempted to say something about "Wars don’t “originate” in argument" and "(The Fringe), at best, is only a half truth...". It will have to wait (again) as it's now my nap time... my body speaks softly of the horizontal that awaits so closely... my mind does not deny the call and agrees... I respond.

Until the next meeting of our mynds, my friend...

Non Sum

Post by Non Sum » February 14th, 2010, 2:55 pm

Hey, MT (Motor Trending) from Tucson,
I figured you were ‘art inspired,’ and intent upon stringing bodacious beads, and setting cosmetically cosmic gems; whilst our corporate warring here would have to hold a dull candle by comparison.

MT: Today begins a new moon which is a good time to begin new projects should you (or anyone else reading this) have something pending in the wings.

NS: For me, that would have to be the annual planning for this year’s vegetable gardens. Has Tucson given you, and Soo, new creative wings and projects to fly too? I’ve often found that materials in hand will whisper creative ideas into an otherwise empty ear. Yesterday, I disassembled some kitchen chairs, and their detached bones told me how to make a couple interesting footstools.

MT: Please accept my apology for any misunderstanding.

NS: My “misunderstanding,” requiring, not your but, my apology. Forgive me, I did see the “winkie,” but felt you were just flirting. I get a lot of that. :wink:

MT: I spent over one hour replying to that 2.07 Sunday reply of yours. I'm sorry you missed it.

NS: As am I. I need you, (M)aster (Trasher), to master the good habit of doing periodic saves, or I am left condemned to continued missing out on your finest masterpieces. Hardly fair.

MT: ill-equipped folks would have no equal footing to counter the misleading attacks mounted against us by these [large, well financed] forces.

NS: Your argument is itself unfairly structured, putting apple against orange; or more appropriately, volvox against lone amoeba. To be fair in any comparison we can never pit several against one. So, the issue comes down to the right of individuals with common interests to assert those interests, as a collective, politically. Granted, some groups will have greater: membership, connections, leverage, and/or wealth, to assert than do other groups. But, the exact same extremes in diversity applies among individuals as well.

So, how do we level (in all possible advantageous elements and permutations) all individuals, as well as groupings, before granting them political contributory access? How do you intend to restrict political rights based on a particular person’s/group’s intrinsic power? Does a poor, yet articulate and charismatic black preacher, who sees the strength in ‘activist’ numbers (forming an organization like SCLC) have less power to make major political changes than does a particular industrial lobby? I doubt that.

MT: When Nations go thru economical difficulties, like we've been going thru for 2 years plus, we find that those problems more often than not may be attributable to corporate interests.

NS: Yes, business does share in some of the fault for our recent economic woes. But, I’d place a larger share of fault on the back of government. Not only for its failure to properly regulate, but also in its direct complicity by way of Fed policy, and FNMA & GNMA. But, the largest blame goes right to the American people themselves, who IMO: spend like fools, have no foresight, financially educate & plan rarely (if at all), and appear incapable of reading any contract. In defense of the government, and business, no one can safeguard hundreds of millions of financial imbeciles intent on running off an economic cliff.

MT: seems as though the Phama Corp simply continues doing the easy thing for them to do - raise prices.

NS: “Pharma” prices have far more to do with “our” government’s interference with free competitive pricing, than anything else. E.g. the best price for a Rx my wife gets is $110 per tube in this community, ranging up to $140. So, I get it from the UK, via a Canadian pharmacy, for $115, but that’s for ‘Six’ tubes. It would have cost less per tube for 12 tubes, but “my” Gov has quantity import restrictions to protect me from that savings too.

MT: Our banking system does basically the same thing - raise rates for services.

NS: Only on the rates of financial idiots whom insist on shopping for the highest prices. I have checking accounts in two banks, a local & a large national. They both charge me nothing per month for checking, and one of them gives me free on-line bill paying privileges. I have several credit cards, which give me 30 day loans, plus card convenience, at No charge per month. I think banks are a great deal, with plenty of service at no charge. What could be better than that?

MT: When powerful corporations want more money they raise rates.

NS: Not true. More often, they cut costs. Why? Because they have to compete, unless the Gov says they don’t.

MT: I cannot comfortably imagine a Corporate World in charge of our government solely because it is the business of such corporate policy to continue raising prices

NS: Have you ever factored in inflation in determining whether prices have actually gone up? The price of a man’s tailored suit is approximately the same whether that man is going to Obama’s White House party, or Lincoln’s, IF you figure the price in gold (1 oz). Why gold? Because the government cannot manipulate its price as easily. Gold too has inflation due to how much is mined. So, you see a suit is actually getting cheaper.

MT: A government such as a democracy is run by the freedom of the citizens to vote, which ideally should surpass that of corporate rule

NS: It seems you are trying to have it both ways. The citizen can vote freely for his considered choice, AND the corporations deny the citizen any free choice. Your view appears very cynical of the individual voter; i.e. put enough funding behind any political ass, and the easily fooled/manipulated electorate will vote for him every time. How much money behind McCain would have changed your vote away from Obama, MT?

I noticed McCain, of the restricting voter contribution fame, took more from the largest collaborative lobby (telecom) wealth than any other senator; more than twice the runner up recipient. To me it is obvious that all this noise about restricting corporate contribution rights is to keep the money sources private while appearing as if they’re for the ‘little guy.’ No laws are going to stop power from connecting to power. But, you can make laws to keep it all hidden. This is what you are, de facto, advocating.

MT: who is this business that will bear gifts like Wise men from the past?

NS: The same big business that brought about the ending of the manorial system, the last time it fundamentally altered the prevailing economic system. That, I take as a major ‘gift.’

MT: it is not our 'modern drugs' that gives us our very life, the same life we've all come from for the past one hundred thousand years, but our hu'manity itself.

NS: I totally agree. I see all the pharma ads on TV, and marvel at the popular demand for all these pills. I don’t marvel at someone’s willingness to supply, and encourage, that demand. Not anymore than I am surprised that you make money filling, and encouraging, the demand for decorative object d’art. It is the job of business to supply what is demanded, and to try its best to increase that demand. But, what fools these mortals be who demand so very many un-needful things. Place blame where it properly belongs, my friend. Personally, I prefer money over pills.

"It's a kind of spiritual snobbery that makes people think they can be happy without money." (Albert Camus)

Sorry, if I became too engaged with your several pertinent points, and was overlong. Nap time, s’long dude.
NS (Non-stop Somnolence)

hester_prynne

Post by hester_prynne » February 14th, 2010, 4:10 pm

Facinating reading this discourse. I think it could be very useful in a blog for many more folks to see, I mean, I've learned alot from you all. Thank you.

Balance is what we all want I think, although really, does anyone know what that "balance" would be? How would you describe that? All I know is imbalance, especially as a female. Pardon my ignorance on this......

It occurs to me that the only power the people really have IS military service. The corporate always needs an army to defend it. That is where we can raise the price of our value to the corporate. That is where our leverage is, and only there.
Or, would they just force us to fight for them and silence us, (kill us) if we demanded higher prices from them? Or would they outsource????
Thoughts??
H 8)
"I am a victim of society, and, an entertainer"........DW

Non Sum

Post by Non Sum » February 14th, 2010, 10:45 pm

Hi Hester,
Thank you, for your generous words on a likely tedious (for most) discussion I felt sure everyone was happy to tune out. :)

HP: Balance is what we all want I think, although really, does anyone know what that "balance" would be? How would you describe that?

NS: Indeed. That is crux of this, and most other, political issues. However we may work out a “balance,” it cannot succeed if the rights of all parties involved are made unequal.

HP: All I know is imbalance, especially as a female.

NS: Could you explain what you mean by this? :?

HP: It occurs to me that the only power the people really have IS military service. The corporate always needs an army to defend it. That is where we can raise the price of our value to the corporate.

NS: You are apparently taking a ‘them against us’ perspective. ‘We’ are the corporations. We own them, sell to them, work for them, tax them, buy from them, and so very much more. Without big business, most little businesses would fail, and our modern society along with them.

Governments “need armies,” not business. Business prospers best in stable, and free, environments. War is overall bad for business, though business will always try to meet a demand, including a government’s demand for war materials. A corporate world order would be the death of armies. Businesses are in the business of making things (goods, services, information); while governments make almost nothing, but often destroy a great deal.

HP: Or, would they just force us to fight for them and silence us, (kill us) if we demanded higher prices from them? Or would they outsource????

Business gains nothing by “killing” its customers (workers, suppliers, investors, et al), but governments have rarely been reluctant in killing its, and other’s, citizens.

“Prices” (for labor, goods, and materials) are determined by ‘supply and demand,’ but governments can, and do, manipulate both of these, as well as the means of exchange (currency).

“Outsourcing” is just trying to get more bang for your buck wherever that better ‘bang’ can be found. A law can force you to purchase a lesser bang at a local source for more bucks, if you don’t like the freedom to do otherwise, i.e. you dislike the right to outsource. Or, is it just the ‘rights of others’ to outsource that you disfavor?
NS (Noted Sorcerer)

hester_prynne

Post by hester_prynne » February 15th, 2010, 12:06 am

NS_ (Nicely stated)
"Governments “need armies,” not business. Business prospers best in stable, and free, environments. War is overall bad for business, though business will always try to meet a demand, including a government’s demand for war materials. A corporate world order would be the death of armies. Businesses are in the business of making things (goods, services, information); while governments make almost nothing, but often destroy a great deal."

What is the difference between the Government and Corporations? I see them as one and the same. And let's be realistic here, it is a them against us, us against them situation because the balance is so off.
Right?
With a balance in business, more businesses of various sizes would succeed wouldn't they? Arent' little businesses failing because big businesses can sell stuff cheaper because they can buy supply in bigger volumes? Small businesses can't do this. Now, small businesses would survive better if they created and or bought more unusual items I suppose, and left the staples to the bigger businesses. But it seems that once the bigger businesses get wind of a smaller business's success with an item, they go in and buy it in volumes and the small business guy is out. I'm sure this sounds very elementary to you, but this is how I see it in my rather noninformed mind. Inform me in simple terms if you can, of where i'm missing the boat here. There needs to be some regulations here it would seem to me, to balance it. Sort of a territorial regulation..."Big biz, you can sell this stuff, but leave this other stuff for the little guy to sell...?"

But i've gotten off track...we were talking about armies. Corporations and Governments being one and the same need defense. And that defense would fall naturally on you and me and our children. That is simple. It seems to me that this is a goal of persons who are making the decisions currently in our Government/Corporation. To get us to a point where there is not much for any of us to do cept join the military.

HP: All I know is imbalance, especially as a female.

NS: Could you explain what you mean by this?

I think you know what I mean by this. There is an errantly percieved imbalance when it comes to the rights and abilities of males and females that is centuries old! I realize and am very happy that we've made some progress but it's been very slight in reality. And women are losing rights again! (Thanks oh dearest enlightened guys!) :shock:
I truly believe that if women had more credibility in our world there would be less war, much less war if any. I think war is a conditioning of males that has gone on long after it's relevency. Males get paid more, more males than females in government, the "oh shit it's a girl mentality alive today!!!.
Males can dally around and be respected for it, women are sluts if they have a strong taste for physical pleasures and a variety of partners, heaven forbid!!!!! It's an ancient, and extremely stupid imbalance that even alot of women buy into...my own mother used to tell me, "save yourself until your married!!!!Let the cheap girls do their thing, the boys will want the girls who weren't cheap!!!! :roll: (I was cheap and I'm still proud of it! I mean, I would have missed out on some really wonderful times had I heeded my mother....)
I have simply never understood this imbalance of the sexes, but I have withstood it for fear of being trotted off to an insane asylum by society if I ask too many questions about it.
You absolutely know what I mean here. It's a thick and deep morass of imbalance. And I state this as a fact, not a complaint. There is a big difference. This is not a whine about women's rights. It is what it is, and has been for a long long long long time.
Changing this mistake to more balanced apparently is impossible.
Why? I dunno.
H 8)

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » February 15th, 2010, 1:12 am

Hes', I also thank you for reading these discussions and bow to your patience in doing so.

N(ot) S(atisfactory), my friend...

NS: You are apparently taking a ‘them against us’ perspective. ‘We’ are the corporations. We own them, sell to them, work for them, tax them, buy from them, and so very much more. Without big business, most little businesses would fail, and our modern society along with them.

By the same logic, 'we' are also the government. Do you believe the government is run by entities that have no hu'man qualities or ...? I may be mistaken, but I do trust our President and his staff have the same needs and desires as those who run the mega-corporations on down to the smallest single vendor providing services or products to the same public that we are all part of. Even the worst of governing tactics is done by a person or people who are/were connected to the very people they govern.

So since 'we' are both part and parcel of corporations and the government, is that not sufficient enough to realize when we take such a drastic step in allowing corporate money to influence the voting process, if that process does not include all the people rather than one Party or one candidate, we are not affording equal rights to both sides of the same coin. Can we both agree that both sides of the country's coin offers varying amounts of money to a corporation whose financial power should reflect both sides rather than choosing one side of the coin over the other. This is exactly what our government does - supports the Constitutional Rights of ALL people and not just one side or the other, the same people who support the current Mega-Corporations regardless of their political ideology.

NS: Business gains nothing by “killing” its customers (workers, suppliers, investors, et al), but governments have rarely been reluctant in killing its citizens.

Likewise, our government would gain nothing by "killing" it citizens. Who would vote anyone into a governing position that condones "killing" the very people that elected them into their position? Let's not talk about all governments here, amigo, for it diverts the attention away from the root of the discussion - the SCOTUS decision by the Republican/Conservative majority of the chosen Justices who are paid for by the citizens of our country.

NS: How do you intend to restrict political rights based on a particular person’s/group’s intrinsic power?

I have no intention of restricting political rights of an individual voter choosing/voting for another individual into government office. But if it comes to the ridiculous choice of electing a non-entity, i.e. corporation into government office, then, my friend, you may find an outraged 'Cecil" bellowing against that, with millions of others I should hope.

NS: Yes, business does share in some of the fault for our recent economic woes. But, I’d place a larger share of fault on the back of government. Not only for its failure to properly regulate, but also in its direct complicity by way of Fed policy, and FNMA & GNMA.

Blame the government? Who influenced the government thru lobbyists to do their bidding? It was Corporate money who is able to influence votes and laws to favor themselves. This may technically be the government's fault but the fault ultimately is in the hands of those who have the wealth and power to purchase votes and influence... and that is not you and I. Perhaps Obama before he finishes his Presidency will be able to influence our Congress to reign in this imbalance of Corporate influence over the People's needs.

NS: "... the largest blame goes right to the American people themselves, who IMO: spend like fools, have no foresight, financially educate & plan rarely (if at all), and appear incapable of reading any contract...."

I agree only in part with your bitter attitude towards your fellow citizens. Where we may part paths is my insistence that those same people would not be able to 'spend like fools' if it wasn't for the fools that lent them the money to spend knowing damn well these same 'fools' inability to pay off their loans. When banks doled out their credit cards to everyone and anyone, regardless of jobs or credit risks, this signals to many how cheap money really has been reduced... anyone can get it.

NS: In defense of the government, and business, no one can safeguard hundreds of millions of financial imbeciles intent on running off an economic cliff.

Government and business is people... and more often than not the same people who find themselves in financial crisis, often without choice. Nobody willingly runs off cliffs, real of otherwise, without encouragement from very seductive sirens in the guise of commercials luring the innocent into purchasing, purchasing, purchasing... keeping the economy going, so the myth went... and a strong capitalist system requires a willing public to consume without limits which in turn creates more jobs and more outlandish debt at rates fit for a Mafia. The party was bound to end.... leaving so many jobless today and many in debt they will never be able to pay off... which in turn leaves many lenders, banks without the promise of capital coming in monthly to full their coffers like a good bank should.

IMHO, the Bush Regime is the real culprit here with their nod of the head and wink of the eye to anything 'their' Congress wanted which all too often was the repeal of laws which hampered Corporate power and creating new laws which favored the same Corporate power.

Where is the health care system in this scenario or the insurance companies that provide health care? It's rather apparent their continuing upwards spiraling costs is going somewhere other than improving personal health as witnessed by our country's health issues and health statistics.

The problems we've all been troubled by I observe can be reduced to one problem - theft. Grand theft on a grand scale was the final farewell of the Bush Regime. He and his gang wiped out our Treasury leaving huge amounts of debt to 'we the people' with never a question asked by that same Congress I mentioned... they were perfectly content to steal thru pork barrel spending and back room deals with lobbyists which further reduced the Treasury. In this Republican viewpoint a big government is a bad government, so they reduce government effectiveness to govern by stealing from 'our' Treasury so it would leave our government financially crippled. That is the Republican/Conservative methodology - reduce the power of government so the lie that it is is incompetent rings true rather than supporting government so it can do it's job not only to defend the people from outside forces but inside forces that wish to harm the people thru lies and deception for easy theft, as the mentality of that party is so prone to do.

"It is only the poor who are forbidden to beg."-- Anatole France
The Wealth Distribution

In the United States, wealth is highly concentrated in a relatively few hands. As of 2007, the top 1% of households (the upper class) owned 34.6% of all privately held wealth, and the next 19% (the managerial, professional, and small business stratum) had 50.5%, which means that just 20% of the people owned a remarkable 85%, leaving only 15% of the wealth for the bottom 80% (wage and salary workers). In terms of financial wealth (total net worth minus the value of one's home), the top 1% of households had an even greater share: 42.7%.

Provided by Professor G. William Domhoff, Sociology Dept, UCSC
http://sociology.ucsc.edu/whorulesameri ... ealth.html

Non Sum

Post by Non Sum » February 15th, 2010, 12:07 pm

Hi Hester,
HP: What is the difference between the Government and Corporations? I see them as one and the same.

NS: This question may be better put to Cecil, since he sees the agendas of the two as being radically different. I see their mutual interests ‘often’ coalescing, and therefore justifying the open input of business’ interests. Business (big or small), like labor unions, is simply ‘society at work.’ It is in the interest of society to hire a police force (as an example of government), but often the self-interest of the police is not identical to that of society at-large (i.e. those who have created, and support the police). Policing is to enforce rules to control a population. Business is organized to make a profit for its owners. While business needs a peaceful environment (governance), it does not run the same risk that rulers themselves do, i.e. to rule excessively.

You and I are not among the ‘rulers,’ but we are among the ‘workers, owners, and consumers.’ There is a real balance among these interrelated three. 50% of American households are direct owners, and many more of us are indirect owners via pension plans, and insurance policies.

HP: With a balance in business, more businesses of various sizes would succeed wouldn't they? Arent' little businesses failing because big businesses can sell stuff cheaper because they can buy supply in bigger volumes?

NS: All big businesses began as small ones, replacing formerly big ones. Just like little animals replace big dominant ones. Small businesses in the US, and the world, are on the increase, and have been for decades. While this is not true in all industries (e.g. agri), it is more than compensated by other industries (e.g. info tech).

HP: There is an errantly percieved imbalance when it comes to the rights and abilities of males and females that is centuries old!

NS: While I share your distaste for social inequality, I don’t see the advances in feminism as being “very slight” at all; quite the contrary, I’m pleased to say. Yes, still much to do before we have absolute gender equality, but the trend remains with us. I am sure of it. Religion is the only threat to feminism that I can see today.

‘Inequality’ is very much to the point in the general discussion here. MT would have those with greater perceived power lose some of their rights in order to achieve balance, while I would have those with less power achieve parity in their rights with all others. IOW, don’t weaken the strong, strengthen the weak.

What I do seriously doubt is your contention that women in power would make for any noticeable difference in the amount of wars. I say this based on my firm conviction of the intrinsic equality of the sexes; they are alike in their proportions of fools and the wise.

HP: I was cheap and I'm still proud of it!

NS: Me too! I’m still way too easy. :wink:

Non Sum

Post by Non Sum » February 15th, 2010, 3:09 pm

Hi, M(yopic)T(opic)
MT: N(ot) S(atisfactory), my friend...

NS: Does that mean no extra servings of porridge?

MT: By the same logic, 'we' are also the government. Do you believe the government is run by entities that have no hu'man qualities or ...? I may be mistaken, but I do trust our President and his staff

NS: Organizations have their natural agenda you can trust them to follow: an NAACP to advance the rights of colored people, a business to make a profit, a government to rule. Natural antagonists serve to limit the excesses of these single minded interests: other racial, national, etc. interests compete for equality with the NAACP; market place competition limits profits, but government has a monopoly on power. Yes, our gov has 3 branches to ideally compete against each other in a self-limiting function, but we both know (as did the founding dudes) that this is an ‘ideal’ that can necessitate “a little revolution once in a while.”

”God forbid we should ever be twenty years without such a rebellion!” (Thomas Jefferson)

History tells me to trust ‘any government’ to pursue power at the expense of the power of all others. I want all individuals, all organizations, whatever their public or private agenda, to pit their bid for power against that of government, as well as each other, in the free market place of power.

MT: This is exactly what our government does - supports the Constitutional Rights of ALL people and not just one side or the other

NS: Government seeks its own ends, just as we all do, whether we align our interests with a group, or seek them individually. Big Bro’s primary concern is not ’your’ power (I.e. rights).

MT: Likewise, our government would gain nothing by "killing" it citizens.

NS: Not at all true. The major way Governments have gained/retained power since the dawn of history is by killing the citizens of other countries, and one’s own (insurrections). This is impossible to accomplish unless leaders are just as willing to accept the necessity of sacrificing their own people’s lives and wealth.

MT: I have no intention of restricting political rights of an individual voter

NS: Then you would restrict the rights of individuals to organize themselves into groups that seek some political end, e.g. labor & trade unions, minority organizations, sporting organizations, political committees, religious & educational orgs, etc., etc.?

MT: Blame the government? Who influenced the government thru lobbyists to do their bidding? It was Corporate money who is able to influence votes and laws to favor themselves.

NS: you think that only corporations have lobbyists? The poor politicians have no choice but to succumb to the will of a lobbyist against their own conscience, or with the interests of their constituents? A thief can defend himself by saying, “Don’t blame me, your honor, the bank’s money made me want to steal it.”? Money forces no one to do anything ‘against their will.’ If someone sells you out for money don’t blame the money, or the person who proffered it, blame the sellout.

Of course, taking bribes (direct, or as campaign contributions) is rarely the case. Organizations know their proposals must illustrate a real benefit to the elected official’s constituency. An AARP will offer data of how many voting elders are in his district. A sports organization will make a case for the increase in business and jobs result from a new stadium proposal. Why doesn’t the electorate throw the sell-outs out? Because the sale serves them, and does not really sell them out at all.

MT: those same people would not be able to 'spend like fools' if it wasn't for the fools that lent them the money to spend knowing damn well these same 'fools' inability to pay off their loans.

NS: Salesmen sell for the immediate commission, why let a credit check deny your livelihood, if no one requires it? But, the point is that we are each responsible for ourselves, or we are not free. Am I to blame if you throw your money away? Should I have stopped you? Should there be a law forcing you to get approval before spending ‘your’ money? Fools and their money are forever being parted due to ‘their own’ foolishness.

MT: Nobody willingly runs off cliffs, real of otherwise, without encouragement from very seductive sirens in the guise of commercials

NS: Did the “sirens” seduce you? So, seduction must not be coercion. You seem to imply that people are mostly children, and that they are too irresponsible to live freely in a commercial society.

MT: Where is the health care system in this scenario or the insurance companies that provide health care?

NS: Insurers are Not providers. Health too is a business, with many vendors providing many ancillary products. And, here too, caveat emptor. The buyer should buy carefully; not just on his perceived need, but also based on what he can afford. I favored national insurance, like every other modern society provides its citizens. But, a selfish electorate seems indifferent to the health of others, and so in a democracy we must allow for the will of the majority in this area as much as in areas we may favor. Don’t tell me business decided this. There are plenty of surveys to prove otherwise.

MT: “In the United States, wealth is highly concentrated in a relatively few hands.”

NS: Of course it is. ‘Capitalism’ requires large accumulations of ‘capital,’ I.e. ‘money in surplus to need.’ Without capital, you have an impoverished African village: plenty of available labor, raw materials abound, but no excess wealth to put it all to work. In a free society, where the inequalities of human nature, and fortune, are allowed to rise and fail naturally, you will of necessity find a layering of wealth. Limit those freedoms, disallow the accumulation of excess wealth, and you will have an unnatural system that insures a lower quality of life for most everyone.

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » February 16th, 2010, 1:09 am

NS: ... but we both know (as did the founding dudes) that this is an ‘ideal’ that can necessitate “a little revolution once in a while.”

That same necessity for a revolution also applies to mega-corporate power.

NS: History tells me to trust ‘any government’ to pursue power at the expense of the power of all others. I want all individuals, all organizations, whatever their public or private agenda, to pit their bid for power against that of government, as well as each other, in the free market place of power.

There is no 'Free Market" when the market is undoubtedly controlled by huge corporate interests who make sure competition does little to weaken their control.

NS: Government seeks its own ends, just as we all do, whether we align our interests with a group, or seek them individually. Big Bro’s primary concern is not ’your’ power (I.e. rights).

Corporate interests also seek their own ends, "just as we all do".

NS: Not at all true. The major way Governments have gained/retained power since the dawn of history is by killing the citizens of other countries, and one’s own (insurrections).

When was the last time our government killed it's citizens to gain/retain power?

NS: Then you would restrict the rights of individuals to organize themselves into groups that seek some political end, e.g. labor & trade unions, minority organizations, sporting organizations, political committees, religious & educational orgs, etc., etc.?

Individuals are free to do what you have sited, my friend. I have no problem with that just like you have no problem. But when ANY organization is given the right to cast it's vote as an individual has a right, there is a problem... giving a non-entity the right to vote is an extreme that makes little to No Sense but only favors the organization, the corporation or union over the people. Your argument that the people are these entities because they support them is assuming every union member, every Walmart employee, every Republican or every NRA member votes in lockstep with all other members. If they do or if they don't is nobody concern behind the curtain of the voting booth where each INDIVIDUAL casts their vote.

NS: Am I to blame if you throw your money away? Should I have stopped you?

Were you foolish enough to give me $10,000 credit without any collateral? If you were you deserve to be blamed for losing your own $10,000. If you had no collateral to cover your loan in case I was unable to pay it off, yes, you could have stopped me from spending 'your' money and the interest rate added on to that sum.

NS: Did the “sirens” seduce you?

Well... I've certainly had a few sirens in my earlier life with seductive powers that I entered in to! :)

NS: You seem to imply that people are mostly children, and that they are too irresponsible to live freely in a commercial society.

Conversely, you seem to imply that all our citizens should be as wise as yourself, if not wiser. But you know as well as I that our country, as well as all countries, are made up of all types of people, including less complicated minds such as yours. Should those folks pay more for their 'sins of omission' than you?

NS: Of course it is. ‘Capitalism’ requires large accumulations of ‘capital,’ I.e. ‘money in surplus to need.’ Without capital, you have an impoverished African village...

Whoa, big fella... slow down, eh? You're saying either you have the tremendous wealth of a Corporate giant who has unlimited amounts of money or you become an impoverished African village. That scenario leaves little middle ground in your example.
After having seen millions of jobs lost and trillions of retirement savings erased because of the financial crisis, Americans were outraged to learn that Wall Street firms paid out more than $18.4 billion in cash bonuses in 2008, the sixth largest bonus pool on record. Even more shocking, many of these Wall Street firms had just received billions in taxpayer money to help prevent their collapse.

http://www.aflcio.org/corporatewatch/paywatch/tarp.cfm
I'm talking BALANCE... and our country is clearly out of BALANCE when it comes to personal wealth, CEO wages vs Avg Employees plus many other factors that show the IMBALANCE more than should be comfortable for a Democracy.

Note-
wealth owned by top 10%

1) Switzerland 71.3%
2) United States 69.8%
3) Denmark 65.0%
4) France 61.0%
5) Sweden 58.6%
6) UK 56.0%
7) Canada 53.0%
8 - Norway 50.5%
9) Germany 44.4%
10) Finland 42.3%

Do you think the #3 thru #10 listed countries are anywhere close to being impoverished, approaching that of an African village? :lol:

Everything is perfect, just as it is.... including the public distrust of Mega-Corporate Power and a Congress willing to be bought out, unable to say no while the seductive siren of lobbying money gets waved in front of their faces. Let us not forget that same seductive siren's power when the possibility of more wealth enters into the minds of Warren Buffet by purchasing the Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railroad... or the siren seducing Kraft Foods with its $19.5 billion offer to buy Cadbury PLC.

Nobody is immune to the seductive power of money which buys power. The question ultimately is "Who should power belong to?" An individual (Czar, King, tyrant)... in the hands of a few (Corporation, organization, union)... a Government of, for and by People? It's an historical question and one that never remains unchallenged. It's a question that has begun revolutions. It's a question that no matter how many times it is asked, there is never a conclusive answer. The only answer that satisfies is one where the majority can feel there is a sense of fairness, of balance. Without balance, whether it iis personal, familial, local, or national, balance needs to be regained from time to time, even at the cries of angst that change so often brings. But in order to restore this sense of balance those accustomed to imbalance have to change or complain. Balance = health = clarity... something not only our country but the world we've all created is in dire need of.

Non Sum

Post by Non Sum » February 16th, 2010, 3:28 pm

Hi M(ister) T(ransistor),
MT: That same necessity for a revolution also applies to mega-corporate power.

NS: Have any particular 235 year-old mega-corporations in mind?
The point being that businesses generally have much shorter life-cycles than do governments. Also, if Safeway pisses you off, you can just go shop at Wally World, or another competitor instead. And, if Burger King bugs too many fast fooders, with poor price or product, then the King is surely dead & and not a drop of blood need be shed.

MT: There is no 'Free Market" when the market is undoubtedly controlled by huge corporate interests who make sure competition does little to weaken their control.

NS: Corporate history sure puts the lie to that statement. I have no idea what companies you must have in mind to corroborate this statement(?). You’ve mention pharmaceuticals, and retailers, but both of these sectors have lots of competition.

MT: Corporate interests also seek their own ends, "just as we all do".

NS: I just said that. You raised the issue by suggesting that Gov was intent on preserving its citizen’s rights. As if.

MT: When was the last time our government killed it's citizens to gain/retain power?

NS: Probably within the last 24 hours. I’ve not checked the latest press releases concerning our current imperial wars in Iraq, and Afghanistan.

MT: when ANY organization is given the right to cast it's vote as an individual has a right, there is a problem.

NS: I agree, That would indeed be a problem, since I could cast my vote several times simply by joining several organizations. Happily, I’ve heard no suggestions of giving the vote to orgs. Have you?

MT: Were you foolish enough to give me $10,000 credit without any collateral? If you were you deserve to be blamed for losing your own $10,000. If you had no collateral to cover your loan in case I was unable to pay it off, yes, you could have stopped me from spending 'your' money and the interest rate added on to that sum.

NS: I’m not following your point here(?). Would you clarify it, please.
Surely, if I lend you 10k that you have no way of repaying, then it is my dumb mistake, and not yours. And, it will clearly be me who will justly forfeit one heck of a fine for my carelessness, and not you.

MT: Well... I've certainly had a few sirens in my earlier life with seductive powers that I entered in to!

NS: :D That certainly beats tying yourself to the mast, or sticking wax into your ears. Like you, I suspect many who followed the siren call of easy money are not all that remorseful, nor repentant, either.

MT: you know as well as I that our country, as well as all countries, are made up of all types of people, including less complicated minds such as yours. Should those folks pay more for their 'sins of omission' than you?

NS: In a word, “yes.” At least, that’s what my “less complicated mind” tells me to answer. I’ll grant you that humanity is egregiously unequal in its aptitude, which is a state of affairs that can never be legislated away. Any attempt to do so, will inevitably infringe on everyone’s rights. E.g. some people are addictive personalities, or genetically prone to substance abuse. Laws get passed that no one can ingest certain substances ‘for their own good’: = prohibition/drug laws = hundreds of thousands being put in prison, given arrest records = destroying their lives. Black markets inevitably arise = dangerously inferior products cause sickness & death, = criminal element increases & thrive – who then have open wars with other criminals and police, = justice system’s non-productive costs soar, families & neighborhoods self-destruct, social order and welfare is undermined.

Yet, for all that, we did ‘try’ (but always fail) to save the addicts from themselves.

MT: Whoa, big fella... slow down, eh?

NS: You speak Canadian too, ‘eh.’ :)

MT: You're saying either you have the tremendous wealth of a Corporate giant who has unlimited amounts of money or you become an impoverished African village. That scenario leaves little middle ground in your example.

NS: You’re right, it does leave very little middle ground. You see, to raise the standard of living for a large population requires a vast expenditure of wealth (i.e. capital: ‘unnecessary money’). You need an immense infrastructure of transport, utilities, finance, production & distribution of essentials, health care, and education. Earlier I mentioned the likelihood of “mom & pop” oil tankers (which alone go for c.60 mil each, and need replacement every 10 years). Even little corner stores depend upon that tanker/harbor/refinery/pipe & truck interface. Big business is essential for middle and small sized business to thrive.

MT: After having seen millions of jobs lost and trillions of retirement savings erased because of the financial crisis, Americans were outraged to learn that Wall Street firms paid out more than $18.4 billion in cash bonuses

NS: As an owner, I too am outraged by these idiotic bonuses. I’m not trying to defend every corporate action. Who can defend everything that humans do, whether in, or outside of, organizations? :(

MT: I'm talking BALANCE.

NS: Me too! :shock:
I just don’t believe that ‘balance’ is created by finding a fall guy, and then taking away his rights and privileges. I prefer equal treatment under the law for all citizens, and then allowing them the freedom to achieve whatever their natural gifts, and fate, will allow them. True, we won’t all be as healthy, rich, smart, lucky, youthful, or as lovable as each other. But, that is the balance that the gods have written into the big picture, and there is no way to change these natural laws. Any attempt to do so will always prove counterproductive in the end.

MT: “Note-
wealth owned by top 10%”

NS: These statistics are idiotic. First, consider how they are collected. Likely via income tax statements, or worse ‘surveys.’ How honest do you think they are reported? Second, why do you suppose Switzerland has so many wealthy compared to a much richer Germany? Answer: because the German money is in Switzerland. I’ll let you guess why they put it there. What about the US? Yep, the US too is a tax haven; no, not for you or me, but only for non-nationals.

MT: a Congress willing to be bought out, unable to say no while the seductive siren of lobbying money gets waved in front of their faces.

NS: This appears non-responsive to my last post, explaining that they don’t get thrown out because they get ‘bought out’ by doing good for their constituents. Please reread, and then respond to those points.

Could you explain your point regarding “Buffet & Kraft”?

MT: The only answer that satisfies is one where the majority can feel there is a sense of fairness, of balance. Without balance,…

NS: You don’t seem to realize that ‘balance’ is a commodity subject to a subjective perspective. We are both advocates of democracy, both liberal Democrats, in fact. I have no doubts that most leaders in large businesses, and holders of family fortunes, are also advocates of a fair and impartial democracy. We’re All for ‘balance,’ it’s just that one’s man’s ‘balance’ is not always identical to another’s.

My own notion of ‘balance’ is no less subjective than your’s. The solution is (imo) to settle for, but to strive fiercely for: “equality of legal rights under the law.” Any other ‘equalities’ (wealth, health, etc.) are impossible, and any effort to enforce them will create legal monsters.

”Equality of opportunity is an equal opportunity to prove unequal talents.” (Sir Herbert Samuel)

hester_prynne

Post by hester_prynne » February 16th, 2010, 10:14 pm

MT: I'm talking BALANCE.

NS: Me too!

HP: Me Three!!!!

H 8)

Non Sum

Post by Non Sum » February 16th, 2010, 10:50 pm

Hi Hester,
I'm impressed! You're one tough lady, being able to slog through the morass of these long convoluted lectures on economics & politics, and not gag.

Kudos to you too, M(ighty) T(enacious). Lots of fun, thank you.

HP: Me Three!!!!

NS: There you have it, M(aster-of) T(ruth). Three readers, and a tripod of different visions of what makes for 'balance' for you to sit upon. All this, with not one of us being the ordained keeper of what True Balance actually is.
NS (Noble Spitoon)

hester_prynne

Post by hester_prynne » February 16th, 2010, 11:13 pm

"NS: There you have it, M(aster-of) T(ruth). Three readers, and a tripod of different visions of what makes for 'balance' for you to sit upon. All this, with not one of us being the ordained keeper of what True Balance actually is.
NS (Noble Spitoon)"

Nice shot!!! :D
Funny, though because I was thinking, well, if the bottom line is balance, and we are out of balance then that is what we protest! We can all feel it!
The imbalance.
And indeed you brought up the very subject I was pondering. What is the balance? What would it take to balance us?
I would think Universal Healthcare would be an easy start.
H 8)

PS Like I said before, I learned alot reading this thread and was enlightened as well, several times. I enjoyed reading everyone's input.
It would be cool if you recorded it for radio 8....

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » February 17th, 2010, 1:14 am

Thx, Hes'... it's good to know there is someone else 'in here' that follows this discussion.

NS: There you have it, M(aster-of) T(ruth). Three readers, and a tripod of different visions of what makes for 'balance' for you to sit upon. All this, with not one of us being the ordained keeper of what True Balance actually is.

Three balancing acts, each delicately poised upon their own opinion... the thin line that divides fact from fiction. ;)

Those who follow the signs of health measure good health as one which is in balance, i.e. when one's own body is imbalanced (dis-eased) ill health follows. (an ancient Chinese secret..!) Correct the imbalance once it's recognized and balance returns bringing with it a sense of well-being: centered, focused, joyful and high spirited, being rewards for regaining the balance.

How do we correct an obvious imbalance within our society? There shouldn't be any doubt that the collective 'we', whether that be on a national or international level, is out of balance which causes many of our social and political (international) problems/ills. I don't need to bring them up as this thread covers many of the current concerns within our own society. But how to regain a sense of balance, a sense of well-being where the majority feel good? That feeling of well-being may come from several sources, but the bottom line that I believe we all are lacking is a much more stress-free life. That could certainly mean different things to different folks, and indeed does, I'm sure. (btw: I interpret the country's heavy drug use as serious sign of imbalance. Illegal, illicit and over-prescribed pharmaceuticals plus the alcohol abuse are in demand to reduce, if not eliminate, stress on a large scale. The demand for these drugs is seemingly endless.)

Health providers, i.e. doctors, nurses other specialists in the health field, would agree that stress is one of the greatest underlying causes of illness (dis-ease) that brings on different ailments depending upon the person. This living with stress may even be responsible for all our ailments. But that is another topic for another day.

Getting back to stress... stress comes about when we are out of balance, and when we are out of balance stress continues increasing until that source of stress is reduced until it is eliminated. How does this apply to society? When society finds itself disrupted by joblessness, inadequate health care, insecure governance, inability to keep up with finances are but a few important triggers that bring on stress. It's no doubt to anyone these are trying times for not only people, but nations as well. There is a great deal of imbalance in the world. The sooner those seemingly insurmountable problems are alleviated the sooner a sense well-being will be restored to the people. This will have a tremendous relief on the entire health care system making a national health care program much more realistic and affordable. When balance is restored, the world might prove to be a more relaxed and enjoyable environment to live in, work in and live out our life in. It would be a worthwhile endeavor for hu'manity to attempt to bring about ... a tremendous difference from what we are dealing with today. To say it's unaffordable would be stupid as we really have no choice but to restore our health... that is all we have in the end.

Return to “Culture, Politics, Philosophy”