The Stanford Prison Experiment: an Abu Grahib remake

What in the world is going on?
Traveller13

The Stanford Prison Experiment: an Abu Grahib remake

Post by Traveller13 » October 2nd, 2007, 8:36 pm

Lately I've been investigating in experiments on mass behavior, and how I switch to automatically pilot mode for some things when there's a group of people around.
I find the Stanford Prison experiment interesting. It was made to reproduce conditions where ordinary people were placed in a situation where a feeling of moral superiority was involved.

The experiment had to stop after less than a week because the "wardens" immorality was getting out of control.

It is easy to lose perspective and just think "those kids are just sick!", and "well if I was in their place, I certainly wouldn't have reacted the same!".

Is it really the case? Is it possible to know how one will react without actually living the thing? In a group it is easy to feel that we're completely in control, even when we aren't and act according to the group's law almost instinctively.

http://www.prisonexp.org/

This link describes the experiment thoroughly. It is described by Philip Zimbardo, who is the psychologist that conducted the experiment.

I find this experiment frightening, but very interesting. It is also an opportunity, an invitation to explore ourselves when in presence of others and when a situation of authority is involved, and to make us realize that we give less control over ourselves than what we actually can give.
[i]~"Open your eyes, and open your eyes again"[/i]

Traveller13

Post by Traveller13 » October 2nd, 2007, 9:40 pm

There is also the Milgram experiment, which most of you have probably heard about:

http://www.new-life.net/milgram.htm
[i]~"Open your eyes, and open your eyes again"[/i]

Arcadia

Post by Arcadia » October 3rd, 2007, 2:30 pm

Is it really the case? Is it possible to know how one will react without actually living the thing?

certainly not for most of us!

I´ve heard about these experiments, not sure where. But I don´t know them in detail. They sound interesting and at the same time a bit thrilling (to be some kind of lab-rat ... auch!), I´ll check the links, thanks!!!

e_dog

Post by e_dog » October 3rd, 2007, 10:09 pm

what a hoax!

next you'll start believin that the cia killed kennedys.
I don't think 'Therefore, I am.' Therefore, I am.

jimboloco

Post by jimboloco » October 4th, 2007, 3:14 pm

it's true, people can be conditioned to become cruel and abusive
especially when there is some element of denial or seperation involved
it's why we are always working for a re-humanization
some would call it grace
[color=darkcyan]i'm on a survival mission
yo ho ho an a bottle of rum om[/color]

Return to “Culture, Politics, Philosophy”