Endvironment -- We're fckd

What in the world is going on?
e_dog

Endvironment -- We're fckd

Post by e_dog » October 25th, 2007, 9:21 pm

A group of scientists in Britain are warning that global warming could wipe out more than half of the earth's species in the next few centuries.

Come on, we can do better than that. Capitalist industry, don't do a half-assed job!
That finding appears in a new study published by researchers at the University of York.

democracynow.org
I don't think 'Therefore, I am.' Therefore, I am.

e_dog

Post by e_dog » October 25th, 2007, 9:32 pm

The Associated Press reports two sources familiar with both her initial draft and the White House's revisions say the administration imposed major changes. Gerberding’s final testimony is said to have omitted lengthy passages she had initially included on the health risks of global warming. Her final document was whittled down to four pages from an initial fourteen.

On Wednesday, White House press secretary Dana Perino was asked about the controversy. This is what Dana Perino had to say.

DANA PERINO: As I understand it, in the draft there was broad characterizations about climate change science that didn't align with the IPCC. And we have experts and scientists across this administration that can take a look at that testimony and say, “This is an error” or “This doesn't make sense.” And so, the decision on behalf of CDC was to focus that testimony on public health benefits. There are public health benefits to climate change, as well, but both benefits and concerns that somebody like a Dr. Gerberding, who is the expert in the field, could address. And so, that's the testimony that she provided yesterday.
Yes, focus on the benefits of climate change. Less traffic in manhattan when the tides wash over the isl.
REPORTER: There's another CDC official saying that the testimony was "eviscerated," which is pretty -- I guess, accusing the White House of playing very heavy hands.

DANA PERINO: I understand what they're accusing us of, but I can -- I just reject it. And I will tell you that, again, we believe climate change is real; we believe that humans are largely responsible; we are working on a way to solve the problem. And in the meantime, we are working with experts like Julie Gerberding to figure out what are going to be the health benefits and the health concerns of climate change, of which there are many. And she testified fully on it yesterday.

AMY GOODMAN: That was White House press secretary Dana Perino on Tuesday.

Look on the bright side! The very, very bright side.

Traveller13

Post by Traveller13 » October 26th, 2007, 9:32 pm

There are several ways to approach the situation you're describing.
As an exaple, I will use myself, because I have conflictual beliefs about Global Warming.

Global warming has been emitted by scientists at first. Science being an area that I have decided to invest myself myself into, I can analyse scientific data on the subject deeper than people that aren't into science. One of the potential goals of my phd is in fact to study the effects of global warming on underwater currents (and therefore how drastically pollution can change the familiar climate we have relied on to survive). If I choose this option on the long run, I will be addressing the scientific community instead of non-scientific people, because I believe that the more scientists become aware of the dangers of global warming, the more they will find the urge to tell people about it. You see there is a minority of bogus scientists in high places like the one at the White House who are paid to disinform the populace about it. I think my role in this would be to overthrow the balance and make non-corrupted scientists heard over the television ones.

On the other hand, I am also a mathematician. Mathematics, according to my experience and training, require 10% intelligence and 70% Intuition. The rest is Luck. Therefore when I look at a scientific theory such as Global Warming, I rely on my Intuition first.
My Intuition tells me that the universe as I see it is a reflection of myself. I the Earth is becoming a trashcan because we don't want to listen, it is a sign that a part of me is becoming a trashcan because I don't want to listen.
And the conclusions that I draw from here is that Global Warming is a symptom, not the disease itself. If we take care of the symptom (Global Warming) then the disease (not listening to ourselves, or maybe something else) will find another form to manifest itself, and we'll still have Problems under a different form.
It also makes sense to me because when we get frustrated on a problem, it's usually because we aren't attacking the right angle.

I don't know how this second explanation is to you.

I share with you the idea that Global Warming and pollution are present, and are a problem.
As for the idea that we are fucked, however, we might dirverge on this ever so slightly. I hope to give people ideas with this, even if they aren't in harmony with mine, because the main atmosphere on this Culture forum has been generally alarmist for quite some time, and being alarmist isn't very productive over time.

Have a nice day e-dog.
[i]~"Open your eyes, and open your eyes again"[/i]

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » October 27th, 2007, 2:19 am

I am sure Homo sapiens will be one of the species that survives. I think cockroaches will be okay too.

e_dog

Post by e_dog » October 27th, 2007, 3:36 am

END OF DAYZ!

REPENT SINNERZ YE!

e_dog

Post by e_dog » October 27th, 2007, 3:55 pm

TIM FLANNERY: Yeah, yeah. Well, look, it very much depends on what the expectations are. I would be comfortable with partnerships, for example, with BP, purely because I have a sense that that company is on the right track. It’s by no means perfect, but it’s starting to address the fundamental problems, and they’ve made that great leap from seeing themselves as an oil company to seeing themselves as an energy company. And once you do that, you can start participating in the new industrial revolution, which is going to change our lives and clean up our planet over the next forty years.

The bigger companies, ExxonMobil, for example, there is really no signs yet that that company has realized the nature of the world it’s now operating in, and it’s still a major problem, and particularly in the past decade. When you tally the cost of the misleading campaigns, for example, you know, ExxonMobil and its partners in the Global Climate Coalition cost us a decade of action, at least, you know? Starting with the Rio Earth Summit in 1992, those companies have been frustrating progress, and as a result of that, the burden of pollution in the air causing this warming problem has grown by 20%. So that is a very serious issue and, I believe, a serious liability for those companies.
Coincidence. Think Not.
BP Ordered to Pay $373M Penalty
The oil giant BP has been ordered to pay a three-hundred seventy-three million dollar fine to settle three separate charges. Fifteen people were killed and hundreds were injured in a massive explosion at BP’s Texas City refinery in 2005.

Acting Attorney General Peter Keisler: “Under the agreement the company will plead guilty to a one count information charging it with felony violation of the Clean Air Act. BP will pay a fine of 50 million dollars and will serve a three year period of probation. This is the largest fine ever assessed to a single entity under the Clean Air act and this is the first criminal prosecution under the section of the Act specifically created to prevent accidental releases that result in death or injury."
BP will also pay twenty-million dollars for a pipeline spill at an Alaska oilfield last year. And a record three-hundred three million to settle market price-fixing charges from 2004

Andeh

Post by Andeh » November 2nd, 2007, 11:02 am

As every factoid of what global warming is doing to the environment gets spewed out, so does every smokestack of factory, it continues, and doesn't change. BP made $373m probably in the last 5 minutes, eh?

e_dog

Post by e_dog » November 5th, 2007, 1:56 am

this whole al queda wat against terrorism was just an oil industry scheme to make socalled eco terror unpopular.

where's the Earth Libation Fronte when we need em to save tha environment --in jail that's where!

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » November 5th, 2007, 2:01 am

I think you must be an intellectual e-dog.

ha.

I love those BP ads on tv. I like how they keep the same color scheme.
Yellow and green. They have so much humility these days, they only mentionion BP at the end of the commercial in small print.

Boggles my mind to think about how many whales were killed for the oil to light the lamps. There must be someone up there looking out for us. Because just when the whales were almost gone we discovered petroleum.
And Henry Ford came along just in time. And now India is now going to make a 25 hundred dollar car. The sweet smell of progress. All we need now is a cheap substitute for water and we will be all set.

I love kittens
they say the only problem is they grow up to be cats.
I love babies too.

I am a sick old man.
I wish I had your faith e-dog
just because the guy wanted to blow up a ten thousand gallon gasoline tanker no reason to put him in jail We need the jail cells for pot dealers.
Last edited by stilltrucking on November 5th, 2007, 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

e_dog

Post by e_dog » November 5th, 2007, 2:49 am

can';t save the 'nvironment

without breakin a few eggs

and oiltankrs

cantankerous

ness

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » November 5th, 2007, 3:15 am

and oiltankrs

cantankerous

ness
Nice!

Speaking of oil tankers: they renamed this one in 2001, I suppose it turned out to be an invidious honor. It is now named the Altair Voyager

the 129,000-ton Chevron tanker Condoleezza Rice

You got hope e-dog.
I am just a sick old man.
I got my own doom confused with the end of the world.

don't mind me.
There is no need to feel ashamed of existential despair because of the assumption that it is an emotional disease, for it is not a neurotic symptom but a human achievement and accomplishment. Above all, it is a manifestation of intellectual sincerity and honesty.
Victor Frankl
They say it was Frankl who coined the word "existentialism" I know nothing about him except he is another Jewish holocaust survivor. But not a neocon.

jimboloco

Post by jimboloco » November 5th, 2007, 12:27 pm

Dana Perino says that there are benefits to global warming
specifically she said that some places that are cooler will now be warmer
jees that makes sense
guess it proves that the oklahoma homey knows everythang
sometimes dysfunctional cultural alarmism is just wrong

besides, beware of elitism in any format
the finest minds persuaded us into vietnam with their analytical succinctness
and did it again with imploring us into iraq

a great mind is neither elitist knor superior
but humble
like michio kaku
the people's scientist

understanding oceanography is a whale of a thing
especailly in the middle of a great landmass

poker playing in the dust bowl
while the wind blows the cards away

<object width="425" height="366"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OLUUCeAqOxs&re ... ram><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OLUUCeAqOxs&rel=1&border=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="366"></embed></object>
Dr. Michio Kaku. Henry Semat Professor of Theoretical Physics - City University of New York. ... Global warming, Yeah, . Bucky ... Yeah, uhh, Global warming. ...
www.youtube.com/?v=OLUUCeAqOxs

i once took a class in geophysical fluid dynamics at michigan
meterology of airflows
differential equations were the rue of the day
all these clean kids
avoiding vietnam
the whole class was commissioned air farce lieutenants
i wore my afrotc uniform
but was not uninformed about the greater perspective
we don't need a weatherman to tell us which way the wind blows, man
meet the robinsons
keep moving forward

existential despair
been there done that
like buddha said
man
between the happiness of ignorance and the bliss of enlightenment
lies the great abyss of disillusionment and despair
i came thru that
out on the plateau
vistas of mesas
giving myself sanction to do the koan "MU!"
the zen sensei is too elitist and conformist
he was never fucked up enough

beware the elitist mind
[color=darkcyan]i'm on a survival mission
yo ho ho an a bottle of rum om[/color]

e_dog

Post by e_dog » December 11th, 2007, 8:29 pm

before us a choice between two different futures, a choice that, to my ears, echoes the words of an ancient prophet: “Life or death, blessings or curses. Therefore, choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live.”

We, the human species, are confronting a planetary emergency, a threat to the survival of our civilization that is gathering ominous and destructive potential even as we gather here. But there is hopeful news, as well: we have the ability to solve this crisis and avoid the worst—though not all—of its consequences, if we act boldly, decisively and quickly.
-- Gore's Noble acceptance speech Dec. 2007
What a downer this Algore guy is. At least he's PRO-LIFE. against abortion.

or is he?
"We are the problem."

jimboloco

Post by jimboloco » December 11th, 2007, 8:57 pm

Eco-friendly kangaroo farts could help global warming: scientists
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agence_France-Presse
Wed Dec 5, 8:00 PM ET

Australian scientists are trying to give kangaroo-style stomachs to cattle and sheep in a bid to cut the emission of greenhouse gases blamed for global warming, researchers say.

Thanks to special bacteria in their stomachs, kangaroo flatulence contains no methane and scientists want to transfer that bacteria to cattle and sheep who emit large quantities of the harmful gas.

While the usual image of greenhouse gas pollution is a billowing smokestack pushing out carbon dioxide, livestock passing wind contribute a surprisingly high percentage of total emissions in some countries.

"Fourteen percent of emissions from all sources in Australia is from enteric methane from cattle and sheep," said Athol Klieve, a senior research scientist with the Queensland state government.

"And if you look at another country such as New Zealand, which has got a much higher agricultural base, they're actually up around 50 percent," he told AFP.

Researchers say the bacteria also makes the digestive process much more efficient and could potentially save millions of dollars in feed costs for farmers.

"Not only would they not produce the methane, they would actually get something like 10 to 15 percent more energy out of the feed they are eating," said Klieve.

Even farmers who laugh at the idea of environmentally friendly kangaroo farts say that's nothing to joke about, particularly given the devastating drought Australia is suffering.

"In a tight year like a drought situation, 15 percent would be a considerable sum," said farmer Michael Mitton.

But it will take researchers at least three years to isolate the bacteria, before they can even start to develop a way of transferring it to cattle and sheep.

Another group of scientists, meanwhile, has suggested Australians should farm fewer cattle and sheep and just eat more kangaroos.

The idea is controversial, but about 20 percent of health conscious Australians are believed to eat the national symbol already.

"It's low in fat, it's got high protein levels it's very clean in the sense that basically it's the ultimate free range animal," said Peter Ampt of the University of New South Wales's institute of environmental studies.

"It doesn't get drenched, it doesn't get vaccinated, it utilizes food right across the landscape, it moves around to where the food is good, so yes, it's a good food."

It might take a while for kangaroos to become popular barbecue fare, but with concern over global warming growing in the world's driest inhabited continent, Australians could soon be ready to try almost anything to cut emissions

let's drop th big one
we won't bomb Australia
don wanna hurt no kangarooo
less not get generally alarmissed now
gawt ta have somethin ta dooo!
[color=darkcyan]i'm on a survival mission
yo ho ho an a bottle of rum om[/color]

e_dog

Post by e_dog » December 11th, 2007, 9:28 pm

great strategy to divide the eco-politicos. either your noGMO/anti-engineering-bio or your for reducing climate change air pollutio.

can't be Both?

GO VEGAN!!

Return to “Culture, Politics, Philosophy”