Thank you WikiLeaks

What in the world is going on?
stilltrucking

Thank you WikiLeaks

Post by stilltrucking » July 26th, 2010, 11:55 am

In Disclosing Secret Documents, WikiLeaks Seeks ‘Transparency’
By ERIC SCHMITT

WikiLeaks.org, the online organization that posted tens of thousands of classified military field reports about the Afghan war on Sunday, says its goal in disclosing secret documents is to reveal “unethical behavior” by governments and corporations.

Pakistan Aids Insurgency in Afghanistan, Reports Assert
By MARK MAZZETTI, JANE PERLEZ, ERIC SCHMITT and ANDREW W. LEHREN
Military documents reflect deep suspicions among U.S. officials that Pakistan’s spy service has for years guided the Afghan insurgency with a hidden hand.
Reports From the Ground
View Is Bleaker Than Official Portrayal of War in Afghanistan
Some 92,000 reports from 2004 through 2009, disclosed by Wikileaks.org, illustrate why, after nine years of war, the Taliban are stronger than at any time since 2001.
Anger in Washington, Denials in Pakistan
By THE NEW YORK TIMES 11 minutes ago
The Obama administration condemned the release of the documents in a statement on Monday, and Pakistan’s former spy chief denied allegations of helping the Taliban

bohonato

Post by bohonato » July 26th, 2010, 10:30 pm

I love how wikileaks is doing everything that cnn, nyt, and all the rest of them should have been doing. And now instead doing real journalism, american media is now reporting on how people react to real journalism.

mnaz

Post by mnaz » July 26th, 2010, 11:41 pm

wow, I just heard about that site tonight, posted something over on the Pregnant Pope blog, but when I went to the wikileaks site it was down-- experiencing "technical difficulties"... hmm.

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » July 27th, 2010, 12:42 pm

I don't know why I am still addicted to reading the New York Times and other main stream media after the way they let us down. Good to see you Boho. Are you back from Paris?

I don't know mnaz maybe they are just getting so many hits their server is overwhelmed.
Bin Laden 'spotted in village meeting

Secret files leaked about the war in Afghanistan have revealed tantalising glimpses of Osama Bin Laden despite public CIA claims that they are clueless as to the whereabouts of the Al Qaeda boss.

The claims are among 91 000 US military records obtained by whistle-blowing website WikiLeaks.

Leon Panetta, director of the CIA, said last month that there have been no firm leads on Bin Laden's whereabouts since the 'early 2000s'.

But a 'threat report' from the International Security Assistance Force regional command (north) on suicide bombers in August 2006 suggested Bin Laden had been attending regular meetings in villages on the border between Pakistan and Afghanistan.
http://www.themercury.co.za/?fSectionId ... 676116L352
Wikileaks reveals awkward truths
Mark Mardell | 17:39 UK time, Monday, 26 July 2010

The scale is breathtaking....the biggest such breach since the Pentagon Papers, the 7,000 pages that arguably changed the course of American involvement in Vietnam.
The leak of the internet age is not likely to have that sort of impact. The Pentagon papers revealed lies. These detailed logs confirm a truth that has been long suspected.

The White House has reacted with predictable fury. Its national security adviser, Jim Jones, has said the leak threatens America and the lives of US troops and their allies. But he is also quick to point out that the documents are from between 2004 and the end of last year. For most of that time, President George W Bush was in charge, the rest was before President Barack Obama's new strategy could take effect…
Only the news that the Taliban are using surface to air missiles is brand new.

The danger for the administration is the judgment of pessimists that not much has changed since the huge increase in troops, that if reports from 2010 were included the new pixels wouldn't dramatically alter the picture.
The Democratic House Armed Services Committee Chairman Ike Skelton has released a statement saying: "These leaked reports pre-date our new strategy in Afghanistan and should not be used as a measure of success or a determining factor in our continued mission there."

He adds: "It is critical that we not use outdated reports to paint a picture of the co-operation of Pakistan in our efforts in Afghanistan. Since these reports were issued, Pakistan has significantly stepped up its fight against the Taliban, including efforts that led to the capture of the highest-ranking member of the Taliban since the start of the war."

This is fair enough as far as it goes. We can't make a complete judgment on a very fluid situation based on reports from the past five years. But it is also fair enough to ask if much has really changed and, critically, whether the politicians are giving it enough time to change.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters ... _trut.html

bohonato

Post by bohonato » July 27th, 2010, 5:41 pm

I know what you mean, ST, I have a soft spot for them too, especially the Times. I've been back in the States for a while, currently in Austin, TX. Been here about two months, been working on my spanish, working in a 24 hour cafe. Essentially I'm a living stereotype at the moment.

Arcadia

Post by Arcadia » July 27th, 2010, 8:23 pm

Visión 7 internacional talked and transmited some weeks ago something about it, but I don´t remember if the site from whom they get the filmations was Wikileaks.

still.trucking

Post by still.trucking » July 28th, 2010, 8:08 am

Why would a computer holding classified material have a CD-ROM drive that you could write files to? Something seems fishy about the story to me. Or maybe military intelligence is an oxymoron.

I am tired of the story already. I don't know why I am thanking wikileaks.

I sometimes wish the good Baron had sent my family to South America instead of the North.
The WikiLeaks Papers And Lady Gaga: The Connection

As it turns out, the soldier accused of leaking the documents to WikiLeaks, disillusioned Pvt. Bradley Manning, would carry in a CD-RW labeled "Lady Gaga" and then log onto classified military networks when preparing to snatch the intel. According to ABC News, while he was downloading secret information he pretended to sing along to "Telephone" while actually erasing the music on the disc and overwriting it with intelligence information.

http://newsroom.mtv.com/2010/07/27/wikileaks-lady-gaga/

This bit keeps popping up in various reports
For the most part, military officials declined to comment on specific charges within the documents. But they did push back against the contention that surface-to-air missiles were being used by the Taliban. One of the leaked documents was a 2007 report that said a surface-to-air missile was used in 2007 to take down a CH-47 helicopter.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 28056.html
Bohonato not sure what you mean by Stereotype?
Are you going back to college?
"Natural selection, as it has operated in human history, favors not only the clever but the murderous." Barbara Ehrenreich

Free Rice

mnaz

Post by mnaz » July 28th, 2010, 10:39 am

yes. the main thing to keep in mind is, that whatever war we're out there prosecuting, it's the good war, the one that will ultimately save the people we so unfortunately have no choice but to go and subject to unfortunate years of collateral damage to make the world safe for truth, justice and the american way . . . up up and away!

mnaz

Post by mnaz » July 28th, 2010, 12:58 pm

and another thing!

I still don't get Rothko..

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » July 28th, 2010, 3:43 pm

One thing is for sure
the Taliban do not have air to ground missiles
and they have never shot down a helicopter.
For some reason I have been reading a lot of denials about that.
"Believe nothing till you hear the first denial"

I don't get art
I just like to look at it
I just woke up from a dream about jimboloco in which he had destroyed all his artwork from Vietnam. But what I think I was really dreaming was that he found some relief from his PTSD

Achilles In Vietnam
Published in 1995. 1995 them was the good old days. I wonder if anyone will be saying 2010 was the good old days.

hester_prynne

Post by hester_prynne » July 28th, 2010, 11:53 pm

Indeed, Wikileaks are heros, whistleblowers are heros! WE NEED TO SUPPORT THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
H 8)
"I am a victim of society, and, an entertainer"........DW

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » July 29th, 2010, 7:06 pm

I don't know. I hope it does some good but I just don't know. Something strange about the story. Why the hell would there be a CD burner on computer handling classified information? The more I read about it the less sure I am.

Interesting article in Slate
http://www.slate.com/id/2262066/pagenum/all/#p2

Arcadia

Post by Arcadia » August 1st, 2010, 3:57 pm

yeah, it was wikileaks...

Return to “Culture, Politics, Philosophy”