Moment to Moment

What in the world is going on?
sooZen

Moment to Moment

Post by sooZen » June 28th, 2011, 7:44 am

Zen tells us to be in this moment. How difficult is that? I mean, can you honestly be in this very moment all the time? It takes practice and watchfulness. I can't. I find my mind wandering from this thing to that thing and not paying attention to the place I am in and what it is that I am doing. Attention! I have to stop and pause and let go of the whirring of my brain.

There are ways of paying attention, of being in the present, and that comes with observation. Have you ever watched an animal intent on this moment? They are not "thinking" of the past or worrying about the future. It is now, and now only, that interests them. Whether it is the prey they are after or the flower they seek or the trail they take, it is the moment they are in. Or have you ever watched a baby eating ice cream? They are in the moment, the only thing in the world is the enjoyment of that treat.

We big apes tend to obsess about things, worry about things, think about what "may" come to pass and forget to be in this moment. We have things to do, lists to fill, projects to complete and honestly, I think that is all fine and good. I do that too. But if I am sitting down and enjoying a well cooked meal or watching a sunrise or the birds in the yard, or enjoying a cool drink, I want to be in that moment. To savor each and every beautiful thing about that moment.

And when a crises arises, I have no choice, I must be in the moment to deal with the emergency without panic. Imagine (out of this moment now) that one is off somewhere in the clouds and not paying attention then you can see how accidents happen. We trip, we fall, we crash, we burn when we are not watchful and in the now.

As many wise ones have extolled through the ages, this moment, this experience, what is happening here and now is all there is and continues ad infinitum. I get out of the moment but I am just wandering about aimlessly in my head, out of body kind of, but that body, this presence is still here and I am just distracted by passing thoughts or some emotion that arises.

The real clarity of mind when it becomes clear as crystal is when you are in this moment. The clouds disappear, the mind focuses on the pinpoint of understanding and actually accepting of what is.

Is it possible? I mean, is it possible to stay in the moment? As I said before, I can't and I have heard that no matter how enlightened a person is, it is always a (I don't want to use the word "struggle" so...) "journey", a constant trekking along the path that is life. It is not a straight line, a beginning or an ending, it is a meandering, stopping for views, falling into potholes, climbing to see a vista, tumbling down cliffs, rising to a dawn...and on and on. This moment has no ending, no beginning, no boundaries, no limitations, it just is what it is. (A quandary? Perhaps, if you try and figure out what "it" is. hah!)

I think Alan Watts, who very like Paul Reps the haiku-ist, brought Eastern thought and philosophy to the West (and were both outlaws, and my heroes, in their respective fields), said it most succinctly about "this moment."

"Life exists only at this very moment, and in this moment it is infinite and eternal, for the present moment is infinitely small; before we can measure it, it has gone, and yet it exists forever...."
Freedom's just another word...

http://soozen.livejournal.com/

stilltrucking

Re: Moment to Moment

Post by stilltrucking » June 28th, 2011, 8:34 am

If I only had the amygdala of a cat

the neural velocity of fingers
as the stream of words move across the screen like cowboys,..."Sadly in search of and one step in back of..." the moment

the fans in the computer and air conditioner whirrs
my mind is silent and distant
doing back flips and flip flops
like alternating currents flowing

Speaking of animals
if I ever have the dough I would like to read this,
PHENOMENOLOGY
OF LIFE
FROM THE ANIMAL SOUL
TO THE HUMAN MIND
BOOK II
The Human Soul in the Creative
Transformation of the Mind
http://www.springerlink.com/content/978 ... 2&locus=70.

I only know of one duty and that is to love. I say no to all the rest. I say no with all my strength...

I do not wish to be happy at present, just to be aware...

Should I go on this way, I would certainly end up by dying happy...
cut and paste from the abstract of the above mentioned article.

Steve Plonk

Post by Steve Plonk » June 29th, 2011, 6:13 pm

"Velocity" is a key word which sticks with me along with "electricity".
In these words lie the future of psychic transportation as we may not
know it yet. "Carbon tetragammaton" elevators to the moon! 8)

Cargo shipped near speed of light with benefits! Colonies on the moon &
mars! Shipments to Titan & Ganymede! Lithium crystals powering "ion
drive" tourist ships to the edge of the solar system... 8)

Keep up the good inspirational "sci fi" for the soul.
All G-d's creation is blessed...

Arcadia

Post by Arcadia » June 29th, 2011, 10:55 pm

it is always a (I don't want to use the word "struggle" so...) "journey", a constant trekking along the path that is life. It is not a straight line, a beginning or an ending, it is a meandering, stopping for views, falling into potholes, climbing to see a vista, tumbling down cliffs, rising to a dawn...and on and on. yeah, I also prefer "viaje" than "lucha"... gracias for the stream, Soo!! :)

If I only had the amygdala of a cat .... "Carbon tetragammaton" elevators to the moon! ... ... :lol:

Steve Plonk

Post by Steve Plonk » June 30th, 2011, 10:09 pm

We are into the continuum, and we are yet tethered to the Earth...
Thanks, for the LOL, Arcadia. We are actually, Still Trucking, closer
in physiology to cats than to dogs. The amygdala is a curious part
of the center of the brain, there lies the focus of our emotions...
Thankful to you, SooZen, for your insight into focusing our minds...
Yoga is really been helpful to me in emptying my thoughts before
I fall asleep...breathing excercises help me to relax.

Today's "inane" science fiction is tomorrow's promise. There has actually
been a "tethered elevator" proposed to take craft/cargo into space. It would
be made of a very strong and flexible cable & take advantage of magnetic
properties of the earth and yet unknown "electric plasma" power to utilize it. I saw the proposal on an episode of NOVA. "Ion drive" has already been utilized
and may be the spaceship power of the future.

Return to “Culture, Politics, Philosophy”