The War's Over

What in the world is going on?
stilltrucking

The War's Over

Post by stilltrucking » February 24th, 2014, 2:30 am

WASHINGTON — Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel plans to shrink the United States Army to its smallest force since before the World War II buildup and eliminate an entire class of Air Force attack jets in a new spending proposal that officials describe as the first Pentagon budget to aggressively push the military off the war footing adopted after the terror attacks of 2001.

The proposal, described by several Pentagon officials on the condition of anonymity in advance of its release on Monday, takes into account the fiscal reality of government austerity and the political reality of a president who pledged to end two costly and exhausting land wars. A result, the officials argue, will be a military capable of defea

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/24/us/po ... ef=us&_r=0

Arcadia

Re: The War's Over

Post by Arcadia » February 24th, 2014, 9:18 pm

a friend told me that the nytimes is given with the local Clarín here on sundays ... :?:

what war?? :roll:

maybe we are witnessing something like a war industrial revolution ... (less people, new actors, more investments, problematic excedents, new inventos, bigger and more specialized markets ...), who knows ... :?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pee06rnp ... e=youtu.be

http://www.telesurtv.net/articulos/2013 ... -9406.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mundo/noticias/201 ... acia.shtml

Nevertheless "The War´s Over" still sounds good! :)

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » February 25th, 2014, 1:02 am

If only it was true.
Dam my cynicism.

Image from the youtube video
Attachments
r ussell.PNG

mnaz

Post by mnaz » February 25th, 2014, 2:43 pm

like everything else, it's just becoming more privatized and spread out ...

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » February 26th, 2014, 4:13 pm

been twenty four hours since you replied and I been trying to think of something to say to you.

Here goes another wander, maybe/probably.
82 percent of democrats want Hillary Clinton to be our next president. Why does that depress me? Another thing depressing me is nobody I talk to in real life knows what the hell what Glass-Spiegel is or know who Brooksley Born is.
It not for studio eight I would feel even more green than I am.

And what about neo-liberalism, nobody I know in real life has any idea what that is... if not for studio eight I would feel like a stranger in a strange land?

I think I thought of something to say back to what you wrote:
re:
privatized and spread out
yes I was trying to have a conversation with mtmynd about that but it seemed to turn into a pissing contest :?

mnaz

Post by mnaz » February 26th, 2014, 5:57 pm

privatized and more "special ops"-oriented ...

I wonder how many "defense" contractors are deployed out there even as we speak (type), engaged in unreported "low-level" warfare over in africa and other areas of "emerging national interest" (oil, etc.). how many drones are out there making hits? .....

Arcadia

Post by Arcadia » February 26th, 2014, 10:05 pm

the persistent, rusty side of war seen with bordering-humor guts (I´ve linked this before somewhere here) ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pV-vAWr_-AU

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » March 1st, 2014, 2:16 pm

guarisove

I could not understand a word of the dialogue, nevertheless the movie was intriguing, I have not been able to find any version with subtitles yet.
For some reason I imagine Teddy Roosevelt saying "it was a bully good war for the brits"

What an enemy I have in Spanish. :(
this a translation from the comments
stanimetal666 And you you know what happened, you were there? Did you have family there? I was told the whole story? Let the people who want to tell stories that crazy, if this is not passed, but it is not far from what could have happened, there were puzzled .. Stop paranoiquear a bit and enjoy the movies, because that be a funny story, does not mean the filmmaker is devaluing the bravery of the soldiers, it's just a history teacher!

Chowder07 happens that more than made ​​this fact, there are things that still hurt. The families of the fallen still live, veterans also. Besides even see the humor in short, it's just that it hurts, because many of these things did not happen. Just tell the truth with a good production would be done. Greetings.
stanimetal666
3 years ago

Good God ... I can not believe I keep doing this kind of thing ... They shit on you soldiers! Children of re thousand bitches! Curse them, alos hicieon this, and those who encourage them! If I had some money I would do the real production ... the curse ..

mnaz

Post by mnaz » March 12th, 2014, 1:12 pm

war will never be over. i heard it from the top.

it is our nature
who we are
what we do
inevitable
it is religion
it is honor
it is duty
the code
the sacrifice
the descent
it is freedom
it is bondage
it is who we are
and what we do

the fire-breathing preacher howls
it is who we are, to shit our own nest!
it is our nature, the wages of sin
even the science clergy ponder,
after we waste our blue lifeboat
where to go next?

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » March 13th, 2014, 12:10 pm

"Natural selection, as it has operated in human history, favors not only the clever but the murderous." Barbara Ehrenreich

who we are and what we do

listening to Dawkins on "Evil"

Brings Reverend Ted Haggard to mind, Ted Haggard he of the shark like toothy smile there in Colorado Springs CO< the home of the Air force academy his church his stooges infiltrated the Air Force Academy. We don't need no stinking jews or athiests or hindus bombing the hell out of the world Onward Christian pilots. Like Catch 22 with the pilots not allowed parachutes unless the go to church on Sunday.

also the banality of evil in Washington DC
the senate intelligence committee, I suppose that is another oxymoron like "military intelligence" The Chairman voted for the Iraq war, Oh Diane climb down from your fences, and John Kerry our brilliant secretary of state a former chairman of that same committee also voted for that war.

Yes we are clever
the clever Americans
we are comedy relief for the rest the world or at least that part which is not cowering in terror of our foreign policy.

Imagine there were no borders, no kings no presidents, no preachers, no national anthems no god is on our side no making the world safe for democracy no Deutschland über alles. Why am I still so god dam mad about that war. Just a trillion dollars and a river a blood under the bridge. Why am I still pissed maybe because the media keeps rubbing my nose in it. I got see the same people who brought it to us on TV, Hillary Clinton does she know anything now that she did not know then? Dick Chenny giving his sage opinons on Sunday morning talk shows

fuck um all the long and the short and the tall
Attachments
ted haggard.PNG

gypsyjoker

Post by gypsyjoker » March 13th, 2014, 12:49 pm

There’s been an attempt to have essentially an evangelical coup in the military. You have the vast majority of the chaplains corps and laity, meaning anybody else who is not a chaplain, who now view the military as a missionary field. And their goal is to see a spiritually transformed military with ambassadors of Christ in uniform.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/religion ... air_02-22/
I'm worried now but I won't be worried long
Dr Sax says the universe disposes of its own evil

In the meantime do remember Eddie Brickell as the "Easter Egg" on Windows 98™

"good times bad times give me some of that"

I do believe these are the best times of the worst times on planet earth
Free Rice
Avatar Courtesy of the Baron de Hirsch Fund

'Blessed is he who was not born, Or he, who having been born, has died. But as for us who live, woe unto us, Because we see the afflictions of Zion, And what has befallen Jerusalem." Pseudepigrapha

mnaz

Post by mnaz » March 13th, 2014, 1:21 pm

it's like you've said before--- group-think can be a dangerous thing. and when tied heavily to fervent religionism, you can find yourself fighting the bloody crusades all over again ....

ted haggard--- good bad example. and from various reports our own recent commander-in-chief, herr bush the second, bought into the "evangelical" end times cult fairly heavily ....

mnaz

Post by mnaz » March 13th, 2014, 2:12 pm

also, when you look at the upward flow and concentration of wealth, and the explosive growth of great "western" cities and consumer products and gadgets, etc. in the last half-century, it does appear that "western" capitalism (on its global platform) is emerging as the preeminent "religion." and it also appears that this new religion manipulates and uses the old religions to suit its expansionist ambitions at times ..... which in turn can feed the "manifest destiny loop," as it were. the staggering apparent top-end success can seem to provide a mandate in itself.

yes, perhaps america really is on the "good side of god," and really was destined to save the world from savages and evildoers and make the world prosperous. it's very easy for the collective mindset to run in that direction. and not without some valid justifications .....

(says that same collective mindset) ....

Diana Moon Glampers

Post by Diana Moon Glampers » March 13th, 2014, 2:24 pm

existential threat.PNG
existential threat.PNG (20.58 KiB) Viewed 2455 times
War is not what it used to be.
A preemptive strike on a sovereign nation is not a move to be taken lightly, but in the extreme case we have outlined – where a failure to act would with high probability lead to existential catastrophe – it is a responsibility that must not be abrogated. Whatever moral prohibition there normally is against violating national sovereignty is overridden in this case by the necessity to prevent the destruction of humankind. Even if the nation in question has not yet initiated open violence, the mere decision to go forward with development of the hazardous technology in the absence of sufficient regulation must be interpreted as an act of aggression, for it puts the rest of the rest of the world at an even greater risk than would, say, firing off several nuclear missiles in random directions.
Existential RIsks
image source

sorry I am one post behind you I have not read your second reply yet reading now...

Free Rice

"a sixty-eight-year-old virgin who, by almost anybody's standards, was too dumb to live. Her name was Diana Moon Glampers."

Diana Moon Glampers

Post by Diana Moon Glampers » March 13th, 2014, 2:39 pm

mnaz wrote:
yes, perhaps america really is on the "good side of god," and really was destined to save the world from savages and evildoers and make the world prosperous. it's very easy for the collective mindset to run in that direction. and not without some valid justifications .....

(says that same collective mindset) ....
I think about what we have done in South America, Central America, Iran, Iraq, Vietnam and I don't think we have done much good.

studio eight is a group intellect for me, I am better off for you being here, thank you for your intellect.

I feel like Diana Mooon Glampers, in God Bless you Mr Rosewater, most people agreed she was too dumb to live.
Last edited by Diana Moon Glampers on March 22nd, 2014, 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Free Rice

"a sixty-eight-year-old virgin who, by almost anybody's standards, was too dumb to live. Her name was Diana Moon Glampers."

Return to “Culture, Politics, Philosophy”