"a disaster foretold"

What in the world is going on?
stilltrucking

"a disaster foretold"

Post by stilltrucking » March 29th, 2014, 7:47 pm

Stillaguamish Valley mudslide
Snohomish Oso
Not long ago, this had been a thick forest of old growth timber. But after it was excessively logged, every standing tree removed, there was nothing to hold the land in place during heavy rains. A federal survey determined that nearly 50 percent of the entire basin above Deer Creek had been logged over a 30-year period. It didn’t take a degree in forestry to see how one event led to the other.
NYTIMES

Arcadia

Re: "a disaster foretold"

Post by Arcadia » March 30th, 2014, 3:46 pm

yeah, sad ... :( to cut too much the trees and to build dangerously is a widespread practice around the world, it seems we tend to believe that nature always holds on a bit more...

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » March 30th, 2014, 5:13 pm

Calvin and Hobbes - Intelligent Life.jpg
I don't understand economics.
Everybody got to have a job, right?
I am sure those loggers that live in that town did not want any tree huggerrs threatening their livelihoods. They have a god given right to cut those trees down.
Last edited by stilltrucking on March 31st, 2014, 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arcadia

Post by Arcadia » March 31st, 2014, 1:06 pm

:)

here it seems we´ve been entertained cutting some social trees in the last decades to the point that a bunch of indignados neighbors lynching to death a presunt (maybe sure) robbery delincuente is not at all the horror that it must be ... :shock:

http://www.lacapital.com.ar/contenidos/ ... _0033.html

http://www.pagina12.com.ar/diario/elpai ... 03-31.html

http://argentina.indymedia.org/news/2014/03/857807.php

(I´ll be reading this one for the next two weeks: http://www.aacounselors.org.ar/adjuntos ... Sombra.pdf....)

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » March 31st, 2014, 4:36 pm

(I´ll be reading this one for the next two weeks: http://www.aacounselors.org.ar/adjuntos ... bra.pdf....)
I could not translate the link, is this the book?

Meeting the Shadow: The Hidden Power of the Dark Side of Human Nature (New Consciousness Reader)
by Connie Zweig (Editor), Jeremiah Abrams (Editor)
4.15 of 5 stars 4.15 · rating details · 277 ratings · 27 reviews
The author offers exploration of self and practical guidance dealing with the dark side of personality based on Jung's concept of "shadow," or the forbidden and unacceptable feelings and behaviors each of us experience

Meeting The Shadow Video Interview
http://conniezweig.com/booksvideos/meeting-the-shadow/

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » March 31st, 2014, 8:05 pm

our native americans along with the world's indigenous peoples, have walked the earth and passed on what they have learned for multiple generations. This ancient accumulation of knowledge holds the answers for all the rest of us who have no ancient history to fall back on. But the reality is, in this modern age, we rely far too much on that modernity to solve our problems. In the meantime, we are just getting more and more stupid as we ignore Nature, (the manifestation of that which we call 'God"), thinking and even believing that 'god' will save us from our ignorance, and even instill that idea into our offspring.

We've heard the saying "there's no atheists in a foxhole" which it's equivalent, "when we have nothing else to rely upon we make gods to give us answers".

Any ideas to save the world from ignorance..? :lol:

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » March 31st, 2014, 10:08 pm

I am not sure if this is the same article Arcadia is reading, but it is sure is interesting.
The evil of our time is the loss of consciousness of evil.
Krishnamurti
Everything we repress weakens us to the moment we discovered that was also a
part of ourselves Robert Frost
Today, every time we open a newspaper or see the news we stumbled face to face with the
darkest aspects of human nature. Messages issued daily by the media mass dissemination to all our electronic global village continually show more sequels pitiful shadow. The world has thus become the scene of the collective shadow.

Collective human evil-shadow-claim our attention everywhere: blares from
holders kiosks; wanders homeless through our streets Tando slept in doorways, is
crouches behind the neon color dotting the seedier corners of our city ties;
playing with our money from financial institutions; feeds the thirst for power and political
corrupts our judicial system; invading armies leads to the depths of the jungle and they
forces through the desert sands; trafficked selling weapons to leaders and crazed delivery
benefits reactionary insurgents; pollutes our rivers and our oceans and poisoning
our food with pesticides invisible...

Arcadia

Post by Arcadia » April 1st, 2014, 2:06 pm

s-t: yes, that´s the book (I found it searching for other thing as it usually happens... :) : ). I enjoyed Bly´s essay but sort of skipped the reverend´s one until I meet Franz von´s one, for now I reached there.

cecil:

Any ideas to save the world from ignorance..? ... indeed ...

let´s see..., disasters tends to trigger both wondering/wandering & proyection in a sort of curve, until the next disaster happens .... :roll:

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » April 3rd, 2014, 1:04 pm

I was hoping it was an April fools prank article. :wink:

The next disaster foretold, We are going to run out of oil. No wait, water, we are going to poison our water more than nature can recover, well there is always better water on some other planet, that's why the billionaires are all for searching for a better planet to live on, they are going to leave this one to the weak, the meek, and the gullible after they make all they can out of it.

Ignorance is as Amerikian as apple pie and violence.

Boy oh boy, my carbon foot print must way a ton,

please don't take my ignorance away, it is a blessing

sorry I know you was not talking to me but just say High Jack :oops:

still.trucking

Post by still.trucking » April 3rd, 2014, 1:27 pm

no recovery
only a balance of nature
against which we are still powerless

we are tilting the balance towards a new species of hominid, a new man, a reboot of the planet. Can't you feel it coming?

"apercibirse"
"Natural selection, as it has operated in human history, favors not only the clever but the murderous." Barbara Ehrenreich

Free Rice

Arcadia

Post by Arcadia » April 3rd, 2014, 9:13 pm

I was hoping it was an April fools prank article. :wink:

oh well..., sometimes it´s difficult to say what is foolish and what is not... . But just in case, we always have the old barthesian right at hand! :wink:

Return to “Culture, Politics, Philosophy”