"Merchants of Doubt"

What in the world is going on?
still.trucking

"Merchants of Doubt"

Post by still.trucking » March 17th, 2015, 12:18 am

{Cut and Paste}
“I’m not a scientist,” he jokes, flashing a huge, telegenic grin, “but I play one on TV.”

We’re routinely being lied to, by people who are darn good at it.

As Kenner sees it, on any issue, there are typically three groups: true believers; nonbelievers; and the vast, confused middle. It’s not the middle’s fault it’s confused: Kenner blames the Marc Moranos of the world, who are paid to sow not just doubt but fear. (“Fear is a big part of it,” he says.) The media share much of the blame. Kenner singles out newspapers — this one in particular — for his harshest criticism of what he calls their tradition of “false balance”: the insistence on always presenting two sides of an issue, even when there aren’t two.

“I think your paper is far less inclined to show deniers on the op-ed page these days,” he says. “That’s a big change, because they were being published continually. The fact is, that confused people, and that was a big part of the problem.”
morano.JPG
image source
"Natural selection, as it has operated in human history, favors not only the clever but the murderous." Barbara Ehrenreich

Free Rice

Return to “Culture, Politics, Philosophy”