Well it wasn't a total shutout.

What in the world is going on?
mnaz

Well it wasn't a total shutout.

Post by mnaz » February 10th, 2019, 10:15 pm

The Prez, at SOTU, said at least one thing I can give a nod to: "great nations don't fight endless wars." Now if anyone could just figure out that our economy (and political system) is based on endless war...

gypsyjoker

Re: Well it wasn't a total shutout.

Post by gypsyjoker » February 10th, 2019, 10:47 pm

Yeah, "The Report From Iron Mountain" was not a hoax, it was hyperreality. Have you run across e-dog anywhere on the net? I hardly could get my head around what his face? that French postmodern philosopher he would go on about. I read Doreen's poem about reality shows, and I was thinking what we got now is a hyperreality show. Whatever that means, I am sorry I could not watch more than the first couple of minutes. His gracious words about "UNITY, made me think of Genet 's play "The Balcony"

Miss e-dog, and Lightning Rod, Zlatko, jimbo, wish I knew what their take of the year 2019 in US politics.

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=4828&hilit=Hyperreality
Last edited by gypsyjoker on February 10th, 2019, 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Free Rice
Avatar Courtesy of the Baron de Hirsch Fund

'Blessed is he who was not born, Or he, who having been born, has died. But as for us who live, woe unto us, Because we see the afflictions of Zion, And what has befallen Jerusalem." Pseudepigrapha

gypsyjoker

Post by gypsyjoker » February 10th, 2019, 11:19 pm

ibid
The report included a number of recommendations that the government should follow just in case peace did break out. For instance, it suggested that expensive institutions be created that would mimic the economic function of a war, such as:

(a) A comprehensive social-welfare program, directed toward maximum improvement of general conditions of human life. (b) A giant open-end space research program, aimed at unreachable targets. (c) A permanent, ritualized, ultra-elaborate disarmament inspection system, and variant of such a system.

The report also recommended that the government invent "alternate enemies." For instance, it could mobilize the population by scaring them with reports of extraterrestrial threats, massive global environmental pollution, or "an omnipresent, virtually omnipotent international police force." Alternatively, the population could be roused by "socially oriented blood games" done "in the manner of the Spanish Inquisition and the witch trials of other periods.

"
Free Rice
Avatar Courtesy of the Baron de Hirsch Fund

'Blessed is he who was not born, Or he, who having been born, has died. But as for us who live, woe unto us, Because we see the afflictions of Zion, And what has befallen Jerusalem." Pseudepigrapha

mnaz

Post by mnaz » February 11th, 2019, 5:35 pm

Hoax or not, it rang all too disturbingly true in parts...
Apparently, the genesis of the report occurred in 1966 when Victor Navasky, editor of the Monocle, a magazine of political satire, noticed a New York Times article reporting that the stock market had dipped because of a 'peace scare.'
Not just our economy. Our political system too. Izzm skizzm. Distract, bicker, divide and conquer...

Return to “Culture, Politics, Philosophy”