A Plea for Common Sense

What in the world is going on?
mtmynd

A Plea for Common Sense

Post by mtmynd » July 3rd, 2019, 1:14 pm

"A Plea for Common Sense":

"Our United States is commemorating the Declaration of Independence of the United States signed on July 4, 1776. The Continental Congress declared that the thirteen American colonies were no longer subject (and subordinate) to the monarch of Britain and were now united, free, and independent states. The Congress had voted to declare independence two days earlier, on July 2, but it was not declared until July 4." - Wikipedia

In these days where we should be quickly granting the rights afforded these poor, suffering, homeless immigrants to our Nation to seek what this country's Declaration of Independence demands of the People. In part I share these words from our Founding Fathers signed into Law _

“We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness."

How can we, the People of this Nation in all consciousness stand by and celebrate our Declaration of Independence's sacred words while on our Southern Borders we have hundreds of people seeking what we have granted to us by our Founding Fathers? Today, on this wonderful day of July 3rd, 2019, how can we not raise our voices loud and clear to our Governing Bodies, who we have faithfully voted into their office and continue holding strong our Declaration of Independence and all that it stands for. All the while knowing about the great problem on those Southern Borders continues on day to by day, month by month while those same Congress People argue and dismiss the the truths occurring right now on the border… not hundreds of miles away.

This band of No Goods would rather put on a Show of Strength but not show strength to end this borders crisis. It is shameful and un-American IF they believe in the very document they gave oath to when they came into office. Whether it is the whole of Congress, the President himself and even our Supreme Court… they tell us, the People, in their silence that they would rather take our monies and ignore our problems, to ignore the poor, filthy, needy people, children, mothers and fathers, aunts and uncles, grand parents… they are all on the border waiting for our Declaration to mean something to them just as it did to every citizen has been granted.

I say to our Politician and the President - Please God and stop your empty words of pleas to your God. The crisis is undeniable and repairable.

Allow not destiny to intrude upon Now

Steve Plonk

Re: A Plea for Common Sense

Post by Steve Plonk » August 3rd, 2019, 1:55 pm

Prayers for beneficial treatment couldn't hurt. But,the need for collective action to
relieve the overcrowding, nasty conditions-- even actual kidnapping-- at the border, must
begin immediately. I am part of the choir who condemns the cruel treatment of latino
refugees as I'm sure most of us are.

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » October 18th, 2019, 12:05 am

cut and paste:
America’s dual faith in individual liberty and democracy is under attack by the president’s populism.
Can the Left Save Liberalism From Trump?

What I have in mind is a liberalism more of means than of ends, a belief that individual and minority-group rights can be protected only in a society governed by the rule of law, neutral institutions and secular, rational debate. This broader doctrine, which encompasses both the modern left and the modern right, has a disputed genealogy. Some begin their story with John Locke, with the idea of government created by individuals for their own benefit. Others begin with Adam Smith, the first exponent of the doctrine of the free market.

I start with James Madison, who was as committed as either Locke or Smith to the supremacy of individual liberty but was acutely aware of the inherent tension between liberty and democracy. Madison recognized that “the people” can be as tyrannical as a monarch. It is not enough, he wrote in Federalist 51, “to guard the society against the oppression of the rulers”; it is equally necessary “to guard one part of the society against the oppression of the other part.” What we now call a “liberal democracy” is a state where majoritarianism is tempered by a respect for individual rights as well as the rights of political or ethnic minorities.

The opposite of liberalism is not conservatism, as we understand the term in modern America, but populism. The illiberal populism of Donald Trump, Hungary’s Viktor Orban or Brazil’s Jair Bolsonaro, each of whom was more or less fairly elected, entails the cynical and reckless use of the mechanisms of democracy to disenfranchise political minorities, politicize the state, stigmatize immigrants and other “outsiders,” and diminish civil liberties. Populists address an exclusionary “us.” As Mr. Trump himself once put it with rare clarity, “The only important thing is the unification of the people — because the other people don’t mean anything.” Populism is democracy without liberalism.
We suffer from a confusion of terms, and not only in regard to liberalism. Elizabeth Warren and Bernie Sanders are routinely referred to as “populists,” including in this newspaper, presumably because they assail the rich. But so did Theodore Roosevelt.

Today, paradoxically, it is not liberals but conservatives who endanger liberalism. The secular, free-market conservatives who voted for Ronald Reagan accepted the basic apparatus of a liberal society. But Mr. Reagan also welcomed into the party extremists and conservative evangelicals who thought about politics in far more absolute terms. Over time, those groups took over the host body of the Republicans, leaving us with an illiberal party that represents half the country. Today’s Republican leaders, with the vehement support of their base, have threatened the autonomy of the federal and state judiciary, treated intelligence and law-enforcement agencies as instruments of the “deep state,” attacked the press and pulled down the empire of science, reason and fact into the mire of “fake news.”

wylde

Post by wylde » October 18th, 2019, 6:08 am

common sense is (unfortunately) uncommon
.homesick. but homeless.

tinkerjack

Post by tinkerjack » October 18th, 2019, 11:37 am

common sense is pretty common around these parts
just the other day I met a fellow who told me that is was just commonsense to believe people evolved from pigs not monkeys —pink skin and four limbs.

there is a downside to common sense(Quotations from Albert Einstein)
I think it is called ignorance
lots of that too around here

don't mind me this morning wylde
I am so full of good intentions that meaning drips from words and I am probably making too much sense
free rice

I used to be smart

wylde

Post by wylde » October 21st, 2019, 8:02 am

tinkerjack wrote:
October 18th, 2019, 11:37 am
common sense is pretty common around these parts
just the other day I met a fellow who told me that is was just commonsense to believe people evolved from pigs not monkeys —pink skin and four limbs.

there is a downside to common sense(Quotations from Albert Einstein)
I think it is called ignorance
lots of that too around here

don't mind me this morning wylde
I am so full of good intentions that meaning drips from words and I am probably making too much sense

your mind is mindfully mellifluous
each be buzzing
a hum
without w3rds

listens to the speed of dark
.homesick. but homeless.

Return to “Culture, Politics, Philosophy”