What the election tells us about religion in America cut and paste

What in the world is going on?
stilltrucking

What the election tells us about religion in America cut and paste

Post by stilltrucking » November 12th, 2020, 8:05 pm

White evangelical Christians remain firmly in the Republican camp. Whether male or female, or from the North or the South, they remain in a party increasingly defined by cultural, racial and emotional factors. To them, it does not matter whether President Trump was incompetent at addressing covid-19 or was personally corrupt; he was their warrior against “others” (elites, urbanites, minorities, immigrants). Politics is not about problem-solving but rather about “owning the libs." Robert P. Jones, head of the Public Religion Research Institute and author of, “White Too Long, told me this group continues to punch far above its weight at the polls.: The Legacy of White Supremacy in American Christianity)
In sum, White evangelical Protestants are the backbone of the GOP, but their geographic concentration and population decline mean Republicans are living on borrowed time. Democrats who can appeal to non-evangelicals, non-White evangelicals and those who identify as “none of the above” stand to create an enduring coalition.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... n-america/

stilltrucking

Re: What the election tells us about religion in America cut and paste

Post by stilltrucking » December 12th, 2020, 10:02 am

"I know. I Know. I KNOW."

"Lord help me Jesus. I know who I am."

sarcasm, Vonnegut and gospel music are the only things keeping me from falling apart these days— and studio eight of course.

mnaz

Post by mnaz » December 13th, 2020, 1:47 am

What religion in America has told me is that it remains a threat. We the People reject theocracy.

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » December 13th, 2020, 11:04 am

Reminded of the fact that George W. Bush had declared, after announcing his candidacy, that he believed God wanted him to run for president, Campbell observed that if a Canadian politician had said the same thing, people would think he was “mentally ill.”
The Ghost of Mary Dyer
I believe in God, I do. I do. Believe in spooks :|
reification is a bitch with an ice pick.
Even though I do believe in God, I have know no need to judge George Carlin. I expect to see George in Valhalla when I die, he fought the good fight

Return to “Culture, Politics, Philosophy”