"Catch-22" in Iraq?

What in the world is going on?
stilltrucking

Re: "Catch-22" in Iraq?

Post by stilltrucking » February 15th, 2013, 4:14 pm

catch 22
I probably use it too literally as it was in the novel, that is as a metaphor for insanity

mnaz

Post by mnaz » February 15th, 2013, 6:33 pm

There was only one catch and that was Catch-22, which specified that a concern for one's safety in the face of dangers that were real and immediate was the process of a rational mind. Orr was crazy and could be grounded. All he had to do was ask; and as soon as he did, he would no longer be crazy and would have to fly more missions. Orr would be crazy to fly more missions and sane if he didn't, but if he were sane he had to fly them. If he flew them he was crazy and didn't have to; but if he didn't want to he was sane and had to. Yossarian was moved very deeply by the absolute simplicity of this clause of Catch-22 and let out a respectful whistle.
yes, the insanity ....

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » February 16th, 2013, 12:18 am

A catch-22 is a paradoxical situation in which an individual cannot or is incapable of avoiding a problem because of contradictory constraints or rules.[1] Often these situations are such that solving one part of a problem only creates another problem, which ultimately leads back to the original problem. Catch-22s often result from rules, regulations, or procedures that an individual is subject to but has no control over.
wicki

I think I am going to break out my bottle of good tequila and listen to Ulysses for a while and try not to think about it. I wonder how Kip is doing, he was military, he followed the line, I used to think he was just playing devil's advocate...my only cheerful thought about politics is I don't have to look at George W. Bush in the news anymore. I have heard he is an accomplished artist these days, no shit,

cool site for me today
http://ia600307.us.archive.org/32/items ... _joyce.mp3

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » February 17th, 2013, 1:31 am

I don't know what to think about politics anymore. But I like the illusion that my vote matters, makes me feel important.
A lonely feeling alright
I need all the encouragement I can get

my cool site today

Return to “Culture, Politics, Philosophy”