The Fifth of November
The Gunpowder Treason and Plot
I can think of No Reason
Why the Gunpowder Treason
Should Ever Be Forgot.

So, how was everyone's Guy Fawkes day?

Traveller13

Post by Traveller13 » November 7th, 2006, 9:58 pm

I went through mine like someone who didn't realise it was Guy Fawke's day.
Which brings me to this question: what is Guy Fawkes day?
[i]~"Open your eyes, and open your eyes again"[/i]

bohonato

Post by bohonato » November 7th, 2006, 11:26 pm

Guy Fawkes Day is a day to celebrate Guy Fawkes, who is said to be the only man to ever enter Parliament with honourable intentions.

Now, to know who Guy Fawkes is, we must travel back into the bowels of English history to the 1600's. Guy Fawkes was a member of a plot (the so-called Gunpowder Plot) to blow up Parliament with King James I and so other kind-of important people in it. Why, you may ask?

Well, James I was extremely Anti-Catholic, which did not sit well with certain people. Namely, Catholics. Therefore, on November 5th, 1605, they decided to blow up the Westminster Palace, most of the members of parliament, and James I too. Guy Fawkes was the one who was to do the actual blowing up, but unfortunately was caught, tortured, executed. Now he his memory is celebrated in England and random places like North Carolina, where bonfires are set ablaze and fireworks shot off.

And so the 5th of November, aka Guy Fawkes Day or Bonfire Night, is celebrated to remember the notion that if your government is screwing you over, you have every right to blow those fuckers up.

The Gunpowder Plot and Guy Fawkes are extremely popular in British literature and pop culture as well, being memorialized by people such as Dickens, T.S. Eliot, Charlotte Bronte, John Lennon, and even J.k. Rowling!

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » November 7th, 2006, 11:42 pm

ten four I know the details, I read the book :wink:

I have always enjoyed the KJV. The old book anyway. Have you ever read the so called Hebrew Bible, the ones the Jews use. I have never compared the poetry, but I think it would be hard to say it anybetter than Shakespeare. I have heard speculation that he wrote it. My God' the King's English, how I mangle it.

A Friend once told me that the first English Bibles were one paragraph, starting at Genesis and ending at Revelation.

Ever since world war one we been pulling their fat out of the fire. And to add insult to injury those limey bastards :) never paid us back the money they borrowed during the war. But they sure insisted on reparations from Germany. I wonder how much they owe us now. with compounded interest? Same with world war two not one European country paid uncle same back for the war loans. Except for Finland.

I am not into blowing up people. I don't know what I would do with 72 virgins at my age even if I was.

Return to “Culture, Politics, Philosophy”