Studio eight banner.

Gallery of rotating banners.
Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » January 20th, 2005, 8:48 pm

Yeah, Bennie, I agree! There's something about tree roots.... and I like driftwood, too! I remember there was a major storm here a few years back with trees down everywhere and I went out with my camera because the uprooted trees were so beautiful! I gotta look for those shots... Thanks and thanks to Sober Duck for the photo I started with.

Pierre- I tried to collaborate with yours but I think your artwork but wasn't happy with anything I came up with! I was honored to use the image just as you sent it! It's got impact! I'll rotate it in again later on. Thanks so much for sharing your talents.

I forgot to document this one here...when people talked about it on this thread, I wasn't making smaller images to post here... But this bridge was created from a photo Dave the Dov sent me. Thanks so much, Dave. This was up yesterday and some of today.

Here's a new one I just put up. The original image was a photo which came with my Mac. Mac used to give us all kindsa extras like photos and applications already installed and like that. Times have changed. You get some stuff, but it's not like it used to be. In the original, the building looked adobe and was a dark red brick color with lime green shutters. Anyway, so I changed it into this.

I'm having so much fun with these. But it's probably time to take a break from making new ones so often and move on to developing some other sections of the site.

The news is, we finally selected a Content Management System and it was installed today. So, we will be setting up the site using the system which means, soon (hopefully), we'll be able to offer Studio Eight artists and writers a spot of their own on the site where they will be able to add writings and upload images.... So, if any of you are interested in having a spot like that, now would be a good time to let me know, as we're going to start with a limited number.

Thanks all!

Keep posting your work! There's some great stuff being added to these pages.

Oh, and don't forget the Word Jam tomorrow! I'll put up an announcement with more details later.

Gotta go finish the dead dog book. ;) It's a great read. "the curious incident of the dog in the nite-time" ... Highly recommended. (it's only 200 pages and I've been reading it for 2 weeks! LOL! Hey... I'm slow! So what? :D

Dave The Dov

Post by Dave The Dov » January 21st, 2005, 12:12 pm

Oh I like the new banner that you have up!!!! Makes me wonder what would happen if I were to open those shutters what would I find???? Why it would be the lovely and talented dp herself and she within one one of her own creations!!!! Hmmm is that possible perhaps???? He that's what makes who she is in this world!!!!
Last edited by Dave The Dov on March 8th, 2009, 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » January 24th, 2005, 11:52 pm

Dave - you never know what's behind the dor! ;) heh... thanks much! You're a sweetheart! :) Still working on one of the photos you sent... thanks so much and keep 'em comin'!

The one judih was referring to on another thread was this one...
... i put it up right after the last jam because it felt like the tide was going out.... it was from a photo I took at the beach last year.

And now, this one is up... it's from a photo of a rotunda in the National Gallery of Art which I took last summer....

images are welcome if you'd like to see me use them as banners... email them to me or send me a link showing me where you have them posted so I can download them...

i'm really having too much fun with this to get back to site development ... but I want to... i have to... and I WILL! you know why? 'Cause I'm sitting on several cds by very talented people ...spoken word and music.... so those sections plus the site review sections need to come next.

(thank you, A-One for letting me tag onto this banner thread of yours to document the rotating banners. I didn't know where else to put it.... this seemed like a likely spot.)

Dave The Dov

Post by Dave The Dov » January 25th, 2005, 11:50 am

Hmmm the inside of the dome of the National Gallery Of Art look's just like the inside of the U.S. Capitol dome. But I'm just guessing at that then. Yes I will keep them coming!!!! :D
Last edited by Dave The Dov on March 8th, 2009, 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » January 25th, 2005, 1:08 pm

Hey Dave!

Yeah, similar... the Capital rotunda is more ornate .... isn't this gorgeous!?
http://www.carteretcountyschools.org/ae ... otunda.jpg

There are quite a few rotundas in many of the DC buildings .... There are several in the National Gallery. If I find the time, I'll post the original photo I used for this banner. This rotunda is above an indoor fountain with statues and benches and a garden. It's lovely! Have you ever been to the National Gallery? It's one of my favorite places to go!

Dave The Dov

Post by Dave The Dov » January 25th, 2005, 2:32 pm

The last time I was in D.C. was 1988 I think I may have walked past the NGA but I can't be sure. I was going to head up to the Capitol building to get a shot of the Mall area from up there. But I couldn't because there was construction for George Bush Sr.'s little swearing in deal at the time and it was right where I could get the best view point to get a picture of it. So that took care of that then.

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » January 27th, 2005, 10:29 pm

You should come visit again, Dave! We could tour the city!

Here's the one i've had up for the past 24 hours... from a series of cartoons I'm doing for the site. I'm taking it down in a bit and putting another one up

silly stuff! :D

Dave The Dov

Post by Dave The Dov » January 28th, 2005, 11:28 am

Hopefully if things go right in the coming months I should be able to visit you dp!!!! :D

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » January 28th, 2005, 3:43 pm

Great! We'll look forward to it, Dave!

Here's today's banner (judih said it looked like legs earlier in this thread... he) - I'm trying to put small images of all the ones I've used so far on this thread. I've got about 5 or 6 more to go, I think.

This was created starting from a photo I took in a stairwell at a hotel we were staying in last summer.

bennie

Post by bennie » January 28th, 2005, 5:36 pm

i like that one doreen. I like shapes.

Haha, Timmy!

I like shapes. You take away the context and you're left with a great abstraction.
well I write music review so I do:
http://www.elevationstation.net

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » January 29th, 2005, 10:59 pm

I like shapes, too, bennie! You capture them well quite often in your photography.... and I love....Shapes of things to come ..... which will include a few of your photos which I'm playing with for the banners. Thanks much!

check this one out!

This is an image Pierre Bouchard sent me and I just added the text to it and put it up ...... cool, huh?

Thank you, Pierre! (aka A-One) .... keep it up and you won't be anonymous for long! ;)

to see more of Pierre's work, go here
http://studioeight.tv/imagesartists.html

whimsicaldeb

Post by whimsicaldeb » January 30th, 2005, 6:33 pm

Ohhhhhhh! A Victorian rooftop .... nnnnnnnnnnniiiiiiiiiiicccccccccceeeeeeeeeee!!
It's beautiful! The lines, and that negative film effect.

What's the information on this picture? Did you take this and do you know the location?

I'm enjoying all these changing logos, and their histories.

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » January 30th, 2005, 6:47 pm

hi Deb!

Thanks! Glad you're enjoying the change of scenery!

I have a friend, John Shea, who took the original photo. I will post a smaller version in this thread later tonight. I've known John for 30+ years. He has kept in touch with me and every 5 or 7 years, he comes to DC as a tourist and stays at my place when he's in town and goes downtown to take photos. He was here in October for about a week and recently mailed me about 5 cds full of photos, some of which I'm turning into banners. I really need to add "original photo by John Shea" to this banner. He sent a note along with the photos on cd and said, "Use these for your artwork, if you want."

I wish he had a computer so I could send him a link but he's not in the computer era. He lives in the real world up on Cape Cod. ;)

Anyway, since he's not here now, I can't ask him what building it was but it was somewhere in downtown DC. I took the photo, cropped it, and did some digital design effects in Photoshop.

He sent some great shots of the Library of Congress which I can't wait to use for banners! Such intricate interior architectural details with dynamic colors! Have you ever been there?

editing to add the banner we're talking about

judih
Site Admin

Post by judih » January 30th, 2005, 11:35 pm

love this architectural view.
and doreen, i really like your use of blues - you offer solidity and peace.

judih

whimsicaldeb

Post by whimsicaldeb » January 31st, 2005, 12:49 pm

He (John Shea) sent some great shots of the Library of Congress which I can't wait to use for banners! Such intricate interior architectural details with dynamic colors! Have you ever been there?

Not yet….. But I want too. Hopefully, soon. The original plan was for this summer, but due to other things, our visiting is being pushed back.

Are you going to have an art page of all your different headers, with info about each one sometime in the future? Hope so … all these headers you’ve created (and still are…) the picture/photo’s you’ve chosen, the histories behind them….. are beautiful and interesting.

Return to “Banners”