Two questions about The Archives

Need help? Ask here. Post site feedback here.
Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Two questions about The Archives

Post by Doreen Peri » October 20th, 2008, 12:14 am

To all Studio members

Scroll down

see "The Archives"?

They're old events and old forums that have been retired.

I thought we'd never throw anything away and would love to figure out a way to put them on another page so people can read them whenever they want but I haven't been about to figure out how to do that.

So, I have 2 questions....

1) Is there someone out there who is knowledgeable about phpbb software who can help me either find a plug-in to collapse the categories or to put them on another page?

And

2) If not? Is it OK with all of you if I delete the archives so this site isn't so huge and seemingly so cluttered?

Let me know if you can help and if you can't, let me know what you think.

Thanks!

judih
Site Admin

Post by judih » October 20th, 2008, 12:43 am

doreen,
there's a lot of great stuff down there. Deletion can't happen unless we can back it up. It'd be a crime.
On the other hand, i don't have a clue how to do a back-up without manualling going through everything on each thread and copying it onto my own hard disk and backing up from there.

(i guess you thought of that)
Also, can't help with this format. Technie i'm not.
The studio would, indeed, be a lot smaller without all those bytes, but it'd be a shame to lose so much good stuff.

i defer to more technically gifted members.

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » October 20th, 2008, 10:24 am

sighhh... yeah you're right, judi .. i know

I really don't want to delete any of it

there have been several people who have commented on how "huge" this site is and said there were too many forums to keep up with ...

was just feeling like cleaning house a little.... neatening up

would really love to put them on a separate page

or at the very least make the category titles collapsable for the viewer

i've learned from trying to upgrade the software in the past not to touch it because i have screwed it up in the past .... so, like you, will also wait and see if i can find someone to help technically

thanks for your input...

mousey1

Post by mousey1 » October 20th, 2008, 11:18 am

:o Oh I hope not, Dor, I hope not. Long is good, sure short and thick does the trick but long is definitely not boring! :shock: That is to say that there is treasure in those archives for certain and sure and deletion of it would be travesty. And I do not wish to see out of sight out of mind either. If people are finding this site too huge then they can pick and choose what they read but I certainly don't want the history of the members that first be shoved under some musty carpet somewhere.

But you know, I'm on a back burner too, simmering, yet still my two cents once in awhile get tossed into the ring. It's home and I don't want to lose any of you or have to go searching for your words in a dusty heap somewhere. A scroll and roll down don't take too long, nor the page up key. If we're here to read, we got the time to peruse.
I used to walk with my head in the clouds but I kept getting struck by lightning!
Now my head twitches and I drool alot. Anonymouse

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v475/mousey1/shhhhhh.gif[/img]

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » October 21st, 2008, 3:16 pm

hey mousey1!

Thanks for your input...

I really don't want to delete anything.. it's just a LONG board to scroll through.

I'm so happy others agree with me that we shouldn't loose the old events and old forums. I'm very happy to hear it!

But don't you think it would work OK to give them their own page? If I can find someone to help me set it up... then there would be two pages of forums... one for our currently active forums and one listing all the old forums and previous events we had.

I don't think that would be "out of sight, out of mind".... there would be a link to get to them.

I think that would be better than how it is but if you and others don't agree and want to keep it all on one page, that's fine with me... no problem.

Good to see you! I see you're still wearing that sexy tankini! ;)

Marksman45

Post by Marksman45 » October 22nd, 2008, 3:23 pm

You wanna see a long board? <a>The Forge</a> is a long board, but totally committed to preserving every bit of it.

Are large boards intimidating to newcomers? Maybe. Probably, even. But as long as the boards that newcomers need to find a point of entry (Creative Writing and General Discussions) are easy to get to and recognize, I think we're good. I mean, people don't complain that encyclopedias are too big and have too many volumes, do they? They just go to the parts they need.

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » October 22nd, 2008, 7:58 pm

Mars... the link doesn't work... would like to see the site you're talking about.

thanks for your input! i see your point...

can't find it by google... found an ad agency called the forge... but no boards... help?

Marksman45

Post by Marksman45 » October 23rd, 2008, 7:16 pm

Huh, that's funny. I wonder what I did wrong.

Anyway, the URL is http://www.indie-rpgs.com

Their archives include 3 forums of theoretical discussion (each of them containing a HUGE amount of content), and numerous closed Developer's Forums, which are forums opened up for developers of indie roleplaying games for the discussion of their games (anyone who has designed a game can ask for one and get it). (With maybe 2 exceptions, all of the Developer's Forums that are now closed were done so because the developer asked for it to be closed)

Return to “Help & Feedback”