Feedback on new software - Post errors & questions here

Need help? Ask here. Post site feedback here.
Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Feedback on new software - Post errors & questions here

Post by Doreen Peri » August 28th, 2010, 12:48 pm

Sorry if you've received error messages while using the new site software. We are going to need to change hosts. I will have to find an appropriate hosting service and the site will come down again during the transfer.

In the meantime, assuming you CAN access the site and see this message, please report the following to this thread:

1) Copy and paste any error messages you get on this thread.

2) To members - if you can't see a forum, can't reply in a forum, or have any other problems with using the software, post your report on this thread.

3) If you have questions about new features, how to use them, etc., post them to this thread.

Thank you!

whimsicaldeb

Re: Feedback on new software - Post errors & questions here

Post by whimsicaldeb » August 28th, 2010, 2:04 pm

So far so good for me and I like the new look.
I'll keep poking around, trying things out.

One question... a personal preference only, nothing major.

In the Jam Section. Was wondering if the list order could be switched? Currently the order lists the first jam (2004) to the most recent (April 2010) a the bottom. I would prefer seeing the most recent jams listed first, at the top of the list, with a descending order myself. And again, reminder: this is not anything that needs to be changed, just wondering.

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » August 28th, 2010, 3:04 pm

Hey Deb! Good to see you! That's an idea! Maybe that's the best way to set it up. The threads themselves are set up so that the first posts are at the top but the most recent posts are at the bottom. I just followed suit with that... but yeah, it could be reversed.... hmmmm.... thinking about it. Thanks for the idea!

What do others think?

judih
Site Admin

Post by judih » August 28th, 2010, 3:06 pm

yes - please!
newest on top.
(love your avatars - doreen and deb) -so big and colourful

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » August 28th, 2010, 7:31 pm

Wasn't there a forum called Great Ideas? Or something like that. I can't find it

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » August 28th, 2010, 8:05 pm

Yes, "Great Ideas" was a Philosophy forum. I took all the posts that used to be in that forum and combined them with the Culture forum... it's here
http://studioeight.tv/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=12
I renamed it "Culture, Politics, Philosophy"

Jack, please read the announcement on the Youtube Videos forum ok? As I run across videos posted elsewhere, I will fix the code.. but I know you post a lot of videos... so please read that.. thanks!

I hope you like the new organization of the forums. :)

SadLuckDame

Post by SadLuckDame » August 28th, 2010, 8:38 pm

I know, loved that Great Ideas one, glad it's still around.
`Do you know, I was so angry, Kitty,' Alice went on...`when I saw all the mischief you had been doing, I was very nearly opening the window, and putting you out into the snow! And you'd have deserved it, you
little mischievous darling!
~Lewis Carroll

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » August 28th, 2010, 9:14 pm

I deleted one forum. Postscripts & e-sources. Most of the info in the forum was out of date. Many of the links didn't work any more. Other stuff... it wasn't ever used, for instance. I think the last post in that forum was 2 or 3 years ago.

Otherwise, every forum and all the posts within those forums that were here before are still here.

In some cases I combined two forums, as in this case where I put the Philosophy (Great Ideas) forum together with the Culture forum. I can't remember the other forums I combined but just ask if you're missing something. All the posts are here that were here before.

For the most part, it's organized exactly as it was before, except for the fact that I made another level... sub-forums... like the Artlogs and Columnists and Retired forums at the bottom of the page. They are now sub-forums... all them... so they aren't strewn down the page like before.

I like it LOT better myself.

I seriously would often get headaches coming here and seeing all those old events and old forums strewn down the page. And I'd think, if I hit this site for the first time, I'd never join this site. There are too many forums. It's too complicated. That's why I knew I had to fix it to make it easier to navigate and less cluttered, more organized.

Oh... and I DID make a new forum.. . Prose.

I took the Creative Writing forum and split it into Poetry and Prose. Why? Because of the feedback I got from people who told me they wanted to know whether it was poetry or prose before they clicked. This meant I had to move individual posts one at a time to separate the poetry from the prose. I'm sure I missed some but I did the best I could do separating them.

MrGuilty

Post by MrGuilty » August 29th, 2010, 10:10 am

D wrote:
I'd never join this site. There are too many forums. It's too complicated. That's why I knew I had to fix it to make it easier to navigate and less cluttered, more organized.
That's how I felt too I dreaded coming here too. One of my guilty pleasures studio eight I guess. Reminds me of Groucho's bit about not wanting to be a member of any club that would want him as a member.
I would not want to belong to any website that would let me post to it.
But it was too late before I realized that.

I see you been working on the profiles thingy. At first it would not let me read a profile because I needed permission.
I think that has been fixed.

Welcome back D
missed you 8)

I like the new thing about the reason for edit. Classy I think.
I used to be smart

Free Rice

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » August 29th, 2010, 11:50 am

You're a funny guy, Jack? :P you always make me laugh...

About the profiles... I don't know what I did to fix anything but the new User Control Panel has a lot of new features. That's where the profile is among other things. Check it out!

One day soon I hope to make a post listing the new features.

There's supposed to be a quick reply at the bottom of every post with this software so you don't have to click the reply button... but it doesn't seem to be working. It might be because this particular style/theme (the way the site looks is a separate design) doesn't include it. I haven't figured that out yet.

Actually I haven't figured out a lot of things yet. :D
heh.... but figuring stuff out is part of the fun of life, huh? ;)

Thanks and welcome back to you, too! ;)

Arcadia

Post by Arcadia » August 29th, 2010, 12:53 pm

good to read, listen & see you all again!! :D Doreen: it seems the dust levels are lower now, good job... ! :lol:. I hadn´t problems entering the site some hours ago but some minutes ago an error-cuadro showed up. See you tomorrow! :wink:

whimsicaldeb

Post by whimsicaldeb » August 29th, 2010, 3:49 pm

Doreen, I f*d up and I don't know how to fix it. I posted a photo to J for her birthday here:
http://www.studioeight.tv/phpbb/viewtop ... 00#p131000

I wanted it inside the box ... like your roses are in the post above, but I did something wrong cuz my photo's busting out all over. :lol:
So, please help me. How do I fix it? Thank you!

:)

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » August 29th, 2010, 5:32 pm

Arcadia... glad you like it! thanks! Yeah, we had an error message today but then the site came back. I spoke to the host and they have made a change for us so hopefully we won't get that error message again. But.... could you do me a favor please? If the site goes down again and you see an error message could you copy the entire error message and email it to me or post it right here on this thread when the site comes back up? Thank you!

Deb.... Yes, I see that. I don't know... I think it's probably in the parameter settings of file size that are acceptable... something which I haven't set yet so it's on the software's default right now. We used to have something called "lightbox" which would automatically fit the file in the window and then you'd click to see a larger view. That's not working right now and I don't know why but I want to work on getting it back.

In the meantime, for this particular file, I'll see if I can edit it for you by downloading the file, making the dimensions smaller and editing your post so it fits.

I'll also check the parameters for uploading images and make settings so the file cannot be more than a certain width in order to fit the layout in the future... until we get the Lightbox image software working... then it won't matter how wide it is.

I'll try to fix this particular post for you now... and also I'm in process of writing up an announcement about how to upload files, etc. In that announcement, I'll state the dimension limits once I get them set. That way, if someone tries to upload a file that's too wide to fit, you'll get a message telling you the max dimensions and can adjust your file size first before uploading.

Too much information? Hope not! LOL ;)

BTW, that's a beautiful photo and would make a gorgeous banner for spring!

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » August 29th, 2010, 7:22 pm

Very minor glitch I think
When you hit reply to a post and logon it kicks you back to the board index then you have to go back and find the post you were trying to post to.

No biggie for me but I thought you might like to know. Maybe I am doing something wrong I dont know.

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » August 29th, 2010, 7:36 pm

I've not heard this from anyone but you, Jack, so I'm thinking maybe it's a browser thing. Seems to be working fine here. Try clearing your cache & temporary files for your browser and your cookies for S8. Let me know if that helps!

Also, it's not minor.. if that were happening site-wide for all users, we'd definitely have a problem with the software to fix.

Is anyone else having the problem stilltrucking's having? If so, please post here to let me know. Thank you!

Return to “Help & Feedback”