Which one? Banner rotation every click OR every 10 minutes?

Need help? Ask here. Post site feedback here.
mudshark

Re: Which one? Banner rotation every click OR every 10 minut

Post by mudshark » September 9th, 2010, 5:18 pm

every godamn click please. my time is short.

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » September 12th, 2010, 11:33 pm

it's really growing on me, too.. i'm liking the every click like it is ... so that's my vote... (i get a vote, right?)...I've gone back and forth with this

i think it will be even cooler once we increase the number of banners

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » September 18th, 2010, 8:59 pm

Looks like it's growing on judih, too, the every click banner change... from another thread, she said:
judih wrote: back to news - i love the banner fast rotation - it's like a game, colourful, surprising and fun.

jimboloco

Post by jimboloco » September 21st, 2010, 8:11 am

so now ya don't have ta change the banner every day......
i've been thinking about you changing the banner every day
while i was away and i have ta tell ya, i was greatful
thanks for that amazing service and devotion
so now you can take a little time out and check out
so now i can take a little time out and check out the pots
by el hombre del paso, and then throw my lasso
i have ta tell ya ma'am, yer hard to rope
[color=darkcyan]i'm on a survival mission
yo ho ho an a bottle of rum om[/color]

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » September 21st, 2010, 12:06 pm

I guess that means that you like them rotating like they do now with every click, Jim? ;)

zero_hero

Post by zero_hero » September 22nd, 2010, 8:20 am

Is your vote for sale jimbo?
I read somewhere that a vote is worth 150 dollars to the people who spend money on political ads. Or maybe it was 1500. Geez who needs a got dam job when you could make money just by voting.

I will give you twenty five cents if you vote yes on every click.

Makes my eyes jump jim, makes me say "dam I missed that banner" got to check it out next time I see it. Like driving scanning the world passing by my windshield.

Can I flatter you into voting for every click.

I like your eyes jimboloco. You have the eyes of a pilot. The eyes if an artist. Sometimes when I see a piece of art that I like but don't know what it is that I see that I am seeing I kind of hope you will leave a comment on it.

here is a banner below that catches my eye everytime I see it, partly for the visual and partly for peevette. Remember her, her son a marine in Afghanistan?

Woman with a fine sense of humor, and beautiful music in her.

Vote yes on proposition studio eight

I am posting this under doreen's wave banner,

and thinking about this poem
I want to cleanse myself out in the ocean... Let my boogers wash all away... Get saltwater in my eyeballs... & my toe jam gone today... With no towel I'll dry in sunshine... Sandy butt crack all the way... Walking home my bald head sunburns... Sunday's just my kinda day!

Sunday baptism
Attachments
waves_banner.jpg
sunflowers_peevette.jpg
Free Rice

"the lesson is... if you want it? keep a copy of it." Doreen Peri

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » September 22nd, 2010, 8:53 am

Dear Mr. Zero,

We're going to leave it like it is. More people have stated they enjoy the changing than those who say they'd like it to slow down. :) :)

still.trucking

Post by still.trucking » September 22nd, 2010, 9:40 am

Speaking of manners I forgot to give credit for the picture. I once tried to compliment jim on his 'work' he said it is his play.

West-Texas attachment a pencil sketch jimbo did out around Amarillo I think. My eyes snapped to it. A million miles of visual sensation burned onto my retina

this one I dig too
broken road

There is a sepia banner version of broken road. . I like that one too.
Jim has a poem about the broken road. I have to search for it.

Speaking of banners I been thinking about posting some of gmart.

Boy did you see this one
http://www.studioeight.tv/phpbb/viewtop ... =7&t=19220

work in progress
It fascinates me to me to watch him work.

Speaking of work...

I thank you and your friends for all the work you do.
I hope it is even half as much "play" for you as it is for me to be here
"Natural selection, as it has operated in human history, favors not only the clever but the murderous." Barbara Ehrenreich

Free Rice

constantine

Post by constantine » October 4th, 2010, 10:11 am

i agree with cecil's take.

SadLuckDame

Post by SadLuckDame » October 5th, 2010, 12:05 am

It could just be my personality, I don't know, but I pay less attention to the banners now and had more to 'looking' and studying them when they were hanging around longer each time. But, I'm in the minority, I can deal.
`Do you know, I was so angry, Kitty,' Alice went on...`when I saw all the mischief you had been doing, I was very nearly opening the window, and putting you out into the snow! And you'd have deserved it, you
little mischievous darling!
~Lewis Carroll

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » October 5th, 2010, 10:29 am

Feedback noted.

When this post was created the polls weren't working so there was no way to vote on options.

Since then, I've received many accolades via email and private message from members telling me they love the rotation as it is.

Also, I don't think this site has been as active as it's been since the automatic rotation started for years!

So, somehow I think it's a feature that people are enjoying the banner changes quickly.

That said, I'll re-tally the counts of those who want it to slow down and those who want it like it is and if there are more people who want the banner rotation to slow down than those who want the banner rotation to occur with every click, I'll consult with eyelidlessness who wrote the code for the banner rotation and see what it would take to change it to a slower pace.

Personally, at the moment, I'm inclined to leave it like it is because it's a dynamic feature and as the banner gallery grows, much more artwork and photography can be shown.

Also, just a thought... consider the fact that when you have a posting window open, there's only one banner up there the whole time. Something to look at and perhaps inspire or create a mood.

Should we change it so the banners stay up there longer (maybe change every 10 minutes or so), while you're typing your post, the banners will be changing and moving. I can't write, myself, when there are moving animations on any site. Well, I can, but it's distracting.

Changing it back to be changing every day isn't an option based on the fact that that's how it's been for the past 6 years and I'm taking the liberty to overrule that as a possibility since it's not like adding a feature to the site at all. It just keeps the site stagnant.

Thanks everybody for your input!

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » October 5th, 2010, 10:34 am

neologistic wrote:What if there was a small menu button to change the banner just below the banner and it also changed every 5-10 minutes if you did nothing to it? And a link under each banner to the thread for discussion/feedback on that banner?
That's what we were talking about... changing it every 5-10 minutes automatically, as an option. I guess a small menu button to lead to the discussions about the banners would be an idea to consider and I'm thinking of creating a thread for each and every banner so that could work. However, it's quite possible that threads will move around, get deleted, who knows ... because the site is a living beast and everything changes all the time. And therefore, if links changed, the associated links to the banners wouldn't work.

Thanks for the ideas, James! Gotta think about the logistics of it... even the logistics of coding a link associated with the banner. Currently, when you click the banner it changes. To embed another link in the banner? Well, I don't know how that would be done.

Just thinking aloud.

SadLuckDame

Post by SadLuckDame » October 5th, 2010, 8:32 pm

I don't mean to say it as in to have it changed up for me, it was more just a conversation I had to put out, contemplating if I'd still believed as I did when it first changed. I'm grateful we've beautiful banners to look at, I don't know of many forums even having the art for sharing.
`Do you know, I was so angry, Kitty,' Alice went on...`when I saw all the mischief you had been doing, I was very nearly opening the window, and putting you out into the snow! And you'd have deserved it, you
little mischievous darling!
~Lewis Carroll

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » October 7th, 2010, 11:48 am

Oh, I know that, dear Dame! I was just thinking aloud.

Democracy is very important to me as the founder of this site because I want the site to be about YOU, the members. Feedback is always welcome. At some point, with every discussion about changes or features to the site when the members are asked for their opinions, a decision has to be made. That's all I was saying. We take into account everyone's views on certain issues or wouldn't have even asked! *smile*

Thanks for enjoying the banners! I'm glad you do and we're planning on increasing the collection so there will be an even larger variety of artwork and photography to view as we post here.

xxoo
D

zero_hero

Post by zero_hero » October 12th, 2010, 7:35 am

I know what you mean about study Cecil. But What I like about the click change is it makes me feel like Rudolf Nureyev.

It really hits me as I am logging out and looking at a banner just that momment thinking no no wait don't change yet I want to take a good look at you. But too late the inevitable course has been set and I only have a second between logout and logged out. Will I remember the banner next time I see it. Why can't I remember it now? Maybe it is the marjiwanna? Well it keeps me on my toes. Like watching the world pass by at seventy.

All the wihile I was posting with the open text box the banner was there and after I posted the new banner was there. I am interested in what banner is showing when I am compelled to do another random text box. Kind of a B F Skinner thing, like banana flavored pellets.

A sense of mystery, what did I just see, between the posting and the logout and the login screens there is one intermediate banner hard to catch but I like it. I got a screen capture thingy. Going to snap a picture of it next time if I can have the prescence to zen it.

cecil wrote
immediacy..?
Attachments
texas_canyon2.jpg
Free Rice

"the lesson is... if you want it? keep a copy of it." Doreen Peri

Return to “Help & Feedback”