Does anyone know who eugene herman is?

Need help? Ask here. Post site feedback here.
Steve Plonk

Does anyone know who eugene herman is?

Post by Steve Plonk » October 5th, 2010, 5:22 pm

Eugene Herman posted on my "Some Penny Haiku, Outside the Stall"
poetry topic and then disappeared. (He seemed to know Lightning Rod
and knew Lrod's family.) I pointed out that he'd forgotten to put quotes
around a poem written by me, he quoted from another site, and I didn't see him post anymore.
I wasn't trying to offend him...I just wanted it clear that it was my stuff he
was quoting and for him "not to forget the quotes" next time.

I try to put quotes around other people's material when I quote it.
I also noticed that a ex? member, called "Non Sum", had trouble posting
and leaving other peoples quotes off... I've since learned to highlight, which makes it easier for some people to see--rather than beginning quote(") and end quote ("). I still use it for smaller quotes. Example: "To thine own self be true..."...A saying by Shakespeare from "Hamlet". I assume that technique is still okay for this site. Sometimes the quote highlight is hard to use with multiple quotes. A person has to edit many times to get it right...At least I do. Also, occasionally, I get indentations and line breaks where I don't intend them. I try to edit these, sometimes to no avail.

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Re: Does anyone know who eugene herman is?

Post by Doreen Peri » October 5th, 2010, 5:43 pm

Yes, I know him. His name is Butch and he's a wonderful sax player! He's an old friend of Lightning Rod's and flew to Virginia/DC to be in the band for our Cabaradio show back in 2007. (or 2006).

He stayed at my house with the rest of the band members, all the poets, and performers. I have a 3-bedroom house something like 15-20 people lived here for a week or a few days longer.

Some sites have a rule about using quote code when quoting another author. I encourage it here, however, it's not an enforced rule. People don't HAVE to do that but I'd like them to.

Some people don't know how to use the BB quote code. It wasn't an issue really with Non Sum, though I asked him to use the quote code, he just didn't want to do it that way and I didn't press him since it's not a rule.

It IS important, however, to use at least quotation MARKS "like this" when quoting another author and it is definitely required to attribute the writing to the author who wrote it, crediting them.

I've been considering this for some time now... several years... about whether to create RULES for this site and if we do that, using quote code might be one of them.

That said, I don't like going to sites with too many rules. It's stifling. But I am adamant about copyright and getting permission to post someone else's words. However, if a person posts their words in a public forum, they can expect to be quoted at one time or another but the use of quote code isn't a RULE, as of yet.

So far, our only rules are (and this, after 6 years online):

1) Respect each other. No bashing or slamming each other personally. Critique is welcome, of course, but personal attacks are not welcome.

2) Permission to post someone else's artwork or photography is a good idea.

3) Hotlinking to other sites by using the image code to post an image that resides on another site is not acceptable as it steals bandwidth from the other sites.

4) Fair Use Copyright is a rule of thumb, meaning if you find an article on the web you'd like to share, you can post some of it and quote it (preferably, yes, with quote code), then it's necessary that you link back to the source. Some sites don't even allow for this. It's a cautious thing to also look at the copyright on the webpage where you found the article. If it has a copyright mark and states that NO part of it may be copied and used anywhere, members aren't allowed to post it here. But, I believe that posting part of the article and linking to the source of the article falls well within the Fair Use Copyright laws.

So..... bottom line is... these are brief rules which aren't formally written up and some of the fewest rules I've ever read on any website on the net.

There's no RULE that quote code needs to be used but I will be happy to contact Butch (eugeneherman) and request that he uses it in the future. I can't force him to do that, though, since it's not a site rule. But I can tell him he must at least reference other authors when posting their material and link to the source of the material, giving the author credit. That's a rule.

Too much information? I hope not. :D

You should hear Butch wail on that sax! He accompanied me for 2 pieces at the Cabaradio. I was honored to have him in the band!

Steve Plonk

Re: Does anyone know who eugene herman is?

Post by Steve Plonk » October 5th, 2010, 8:01 pm

Doreen, Thanks for the info. I'm glad that I follow the rules and use quotes correctly.
Just needed to check...I thought that I did.

Howdy out there to eugene herman, AKA Butch. Come on back and post when
you have the time...We're still here and would like to see more of your stuff.

Return to “Help & Feedback”