Why are all my posts centered?

Need help? Ask here. Post site feedback here.
stilltrucking

Why are all my posts centered?

Post by stilltrucking » August 2nd, 2011, 6:27 pm

Even when I don't want them to be.

Just curious

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Re: Why are all my posts centered?

Post by Doreen Peri » August 2nd, 2011, 8:57 pm

Hmm... This one isn't centered. I don't know where you're seeing them centered. Do you see this post above of yours centered?

If you do, it's got to be a browser setting of yours or something.

neologistic
Site Tech Support

Post by neologistic » August 2nd, 2011, 9:04 pm

I'll keep an eye on this thread, or try to, it should notify me now that I've posted..

Jack,

What browser are you using? e.g., Internet Explorer, Safari, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, a mobile device, etc

Do you see all the posts as being centered, or just all of yours, or just some of yours that you know aren't supposed to be, or what?

If it's only certain posts, please link to meh in here and I'll take a looksee..

It looks like Doreen is right, your posts seem to be posting correctly when you haven't inserted CENTER tags from what I can tell, but please get me the above info and I'll see if I can track down what's going on

Exsurgent

Post by Exsurgent » August 3rd, 2011, 1:53 am

I have the same issue in my browser (Internet Explorer). Basically everything is centered. But when I use Google Chrome, everything shows up normally. Not sure what would be causing that! :?

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » August 3rd, 2011, 11:01 pm

I found this, but the thread is dated 2003 ... I don't know if it will be helpful or not.

http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/text-c ... 81053.html

neologistic
Site Tech Support

Post by neologistic » August 3rd, 2011, 11:37 pm

Nice link.. it also linked to http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/unwanted.htm which seems full of good info and resources

Let me know if it isn't resolved by the trouble shooting in Doreen's link so I know to keep looking. I run Chrome and Firefox on Ubuntu OS and don't have a reliable way of checking Windows and Mac versions of browsers, if you can see the problem in one browser and don't mind checking in all your browsers, then more info could help.. sorry if this is something on my part, I could have missed something when helping to update the site

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » August 4th, 2011, 9:29 am

Thank you
very muchy

neologistic
Site Tech Support

Post by neologistic » August 4th, 2011, 10:25 am

Did something fix the issue for you, Jack?

Never saw which browser you are using, either, that information could be useful

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » August 4th, 2011, 12:15 pm

When I use FireFox there is no problem
When I use Internet Explorer 7 it comes out centered.
I have not explored the links you posted yet. But I will and let you know what happens. I like using FireFox better because it has a spell check, I only use IE when I get tired and forget.

sorry I have had not had a chance to check the links yet.
Last edited by stilltrucking on August 4th, 2011, 12:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » August 4th, 2011, 12:17 pm

This post using IE 7
I am burned out spending ten hours a day job searching I must have used IE 7 on the two centered posts :oops: I have to use IE for certain jobs because their proprietary software only runs on IE. Then I forget to log out of IE and switch to FireFox

thanks for the links I will try them later.

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » August 4th, 2011, 12:26 pm

This post using IE 7
I am burned out spending ten hours a day job searching I must have used IE 7 on the two centered posts :oops: I have to use IE for certain jobs because their proprietary software only runs on IE. Then I forget to log out of IE and switch to FireFox

thanks for the links I will try them later.

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » August 4th, 2011, 12:27 pm

Sorry James I am so burned out I can't remember which browser I am using. let me try i again using IE7

neologistic
Site Tech Support

Post by neologistic » August 4th, 2011, 12:30 pm

Hmm, OK. Thanks for the info! I'll try to see if there is something messed up on the site involving IE. Can't really think of anything that would be causing that other than the steps mentioned for accessibility (Doreen's link). I'll try to get to a Windows computer with IE so I can look at it myself and see if it does it for me, in the meantime, you may be able to fix that and other similar issues on other webpages for when you DO use IE by visiting Doreen's link

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » August 4th, 2011, 12:32 pm

duh
When I view a post in IE it always appears centered no matter what browser I use to post. When I view it in Firefox it is aligned left.

It does not matter which browser I post with, it only matters which browser I use to view it.

I missed your post above I may be repeating myself,

I am not that smart when I not tired, when I am tired it is hopeless

I Will check out doreens link as soon as I get a nap

neologistic
Site Tech Support

Post by neologistic » August 4th, 2011, 12:40 pm

Sounds about right. Since you aren't using the CENTER tags, you aren't actually sending any centering information to S8. For some reason, S8 is sending your browser information when you use your IE to center everything, and I'll try to help figure out why.

The likely culprits:

1. A setting in your version of IE should be changed (one set of settings that may help are at Doreen's link)

2. I've missed something in the code that specifically references IE, or there is something in the code that works well enough for other browsers but not for IE due to incorrect syntax.

I will continue looking for a possible instance of something being fouled up on S8's end, but in the meantime if you click Doreen's link you can scroll down to the instructions for resetting your Accessibility options to default.

Return to “Help & Feedback”