"proceed with caution"

Need help? Ask here. Post site feedback here.
stilltrucking

"proceed with caution"

Post by stilltrucking » February 4th, 2013, 9:18 am

FYI, I got this warning from CHROME that ...
malware.PNG
I am a wild and crazy guy so I went here anyway, but I did not check that little box that says submit info to Google about studio eight. I think the problem is happening to a lot of websites when I googled topictorch.netseer.com I got this info
Do I have a malware problem? please help? - Yahoo! Answers
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 838AAXCKnV
Sounds like the problem might be on my computer maybe.

Thank you for studio eight.

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Re: "proceed with caution"

Post by Doreen Peri » March 21st, 2013, 8:45 pm

I'll direct this to James (neologistic). Sorry, I just saw this. I don't know what it could mean but I haven't seen any warnings like that at all.

We'll see how what he says. He's the expert on matters like this.

Thanks for reporting it and sorry for the delay in replying.

I just typed the URL in here and it came out with no problems or warnings.

http://sitecheck.sucuri.net/scanner/

neologistic
Site Tech Support

Post by neologistic » March 21st, 2013, 9:19 pm

http://www.google.com/safebrowsing/diag ... ioeight.tv

This shows that Google has not found anything malicious with our website. This can be confusing because the error message states "has been inserted into this web page."

This is because the web page Studio Eight sends out may not be the web page that you ultimately receive, particularly if a malicious program on your computer (e.g., browser) is inserting maliciousness on the page on your end.

Think of it this way. We sent you a letter in the mail. The postal worker delivered it. Someone snuck into your mailbox, opened the letter, and put foul pictures or even dangerous items in with the letter, sealed it back, and put it back in your mailbox.

People in the thread you linked to are reporting that the mailbox thief may be related to a program called Yontoo.

First, we need to make sure. Answers.yahoo can be notoriously bad about giving accurate technical advice and there may be an issue not related to Yontoo. Let's find out if you have Yontoo.

Windows:

In Chrome, try finding Yontoo in the Extensions tab. For other browsers on PC, try finding Yontoo in the Add/Remove programs area in the Windows Control Panel.

Mac:

Uh. Try Extensions in Chrome. Otherwise, maybe someone versed in Mac can help us out here.

DO NOT REMOVE YONTOO YET. IT'S NOT THAT SIMPLE.

If you DO spot Yontoo, great. Follow below steps.

Windows:
http://www.symantec.com/security_respon ... 99&tabid=3

Mac:
Um. Contact your local Apple store? I have no idea, but here's a start: http://arstechnica.com/apple/2013/03/ad ... nd-chrome/

If you DON'T spot Yontoo, don't panic. Just let me know and we'll see if we can figure out what the hubbub is.

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » March 21st, 2013, 10:01 pm

PERFECT! Thank you, James!

Jack, I hope that answer helped. It sure helped me to understand it!

And this is why James is our Tech Wizard. He knows what he's talking about.

neologistic
Site Tech Support

Post by neologistic » March 21st, 2013, 11:18 pm

Pay no attention to the pseudo-tech behind the curtain.

stilltrucking

Remove Delta Toolbar

Post by stilltrucking » July 5th, 2013, 7:49 am

pseudo-tech?
:lol:
psuedo-tech, sounds like an over the counter drug for sick computers
thanks james

I use this board as kind of my geek thing
most of my tech issues have nothing to do with studio eight
I post stuff here more as a FYI kind of thing
in the hope others might find it useful
Delta Toolbar is a browser hijacker, which is promoted via other free downloads, and once installed it will add the Delta Toolbar, change your browser homepage and default search engine to http://www.delta-search.com.
Delta Toolbar will display advertisements and sponsored links in your search results, and may collect search terms from your search queries
http://malwaretips.com/blogs/delta-toolbar-virus/

Spybot-S and D™ can't deal with that delta search thing, not down in the registry.
the ghost of it is still there even if it is not hijacking my browser anymore.

the ghosts in the machine, I guess that is why you are supposed to re-install windows™ once in awhile.

neologistic
Site Tech Support

Post by neologistic » July 5th, 2013, 2:49 pm

Windows is a ghost. If I can't convince you to move to Ubuntu and you are looking at reinstalling Windows, maybe I can convince you to switch to Avast! for anti-virus.

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » July 6th, 2013, 8:33 am

I was using this machine for my day job, proprietary software only ran on WIndows. Now that I am not working that job I will give it a try
I liked Avast, but MalwareBytes would remove things that Avast could not because MalwareBytes runs in safe mode and Avast won't.

neologistic
Site Tech Support

Post by neologistic » July 6th, 2013, 9:18 am

Wait, wait.. you use Spybot and MalwareBytes?

How many anti-virus and related programs do you have installed?

They have been known to fight one another and render one another useless. Best situation = one all-in-one solution installed, nothing else installed.

Potentially handy links:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=117137.0

http://forums.pcworld.com/index.php?/to ... safe-mode/

There's also Comodo, which I have heard good things about. At any rate, it sounds like you probably COULD stand a good reinstall of Windows. Reinstall and choose one good anti-virus. Avast! paid editions have a command line scanner as mentioned in the second link above, which can work in safe mode. Safe mode in Windows really isn't that hot a deal, though, at least not for normality. You can foul up Windows just as easily in safe mode as a normal boot. It depends on your habits and how up-to-date everything is. It's akin to putting on a safety helmet when one might already be riding atop a raging fast Wile E. Coyote contraption fueled by dangerously amateur rockets. It's really not going to offer much protection in many situations. If you don't feel safe enough using Windows in normal mode, there's probably much bigger problems going on that need to be dealt with, anyway. An infected computer is still infected even in safe mode.

Also, check this out:

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/features/sec ... cting-you/

Some people will try to tell you that it is ok to have more than one anti-virus installed as long as no more than one of them is set to do realtime scans. This is fundamentally inaccurate. It doesn't make sense to have more than one antivirus installed, even if only one of them does realtime scans. It's unnecessary and computers do not do unnecessary well, especially concerning critical security areas. Give them any chance to identify a competing AV program as a security threat and they'll try to do something about it. It might not be noticeable, but it is almost assured that something will get mucked up and rendered useless.

AV 1: Hey, kid.. why are you rooting around in my root? You're a virus, aren't you? Sorry, I cannot let you proceed. Papers, please.

AV 2: Hey, kid.. why are you rooting around in my root asking for papers? You're a virus, aren't you? Sorry, I cannot let you proceed. Papers, please.

AV 1: You're asking for MY credentials?! You're a spy, aren't you?! Well, see how you like this!

AV 2: Hey, I needed that! You're a spy, aren't you? Well, take this!

AV 1: I knew it! What are you, KGB? JCB? Interpol?! Tell me who sent you!

AV 2: I knew it! What are you, CIA? G2? 8200?! Tell me who sent you!

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » July 6th, 2013, 9:40 am

You are so right James. I have lost it on this computer. It is trashed, I got so many gotdam free downloads on it, I can hardly control the trash that keeps popping up. Going to wipe the hard drive, re-partition and go with a multi-boot. I would like to learn Unix, or Linux. Not sure what Ubuntu is. Also would like to have it set up like I used to with swappable hard drives for different jobs.

I been thinking of using this as my new avatar
Attachments
scaredy cat.PNG

neologistic
Site Tech Support

Post by neologistic » July 6th, 2013, 9:52 am

Well, hold still a second, still.trucking.

Ubuntu will partition for you automatically.

My advice if you want a dualboot computer:

1. Wait to install Ubuntu until you have reinstalled Windows. You can actually end up with a corrupt version of Ubuntu if you try to use the Windows installer for Ubuntu on a corrupt Windows.

2. Reinstall Windows.

3. Go ahead and get one good AV for Windows.

4. Try one of the several options for dualbooting Ubuntu. You can run Ubuntu from inside Windows (not the best option, IMO), you can temporarily boot Ubuntu from a flash drive (not an actual partition, everything is done on the flash drive), or you can opt to partition using Ubuntu's simple partition set-up and Ubuntu installer.

The GUI has become so user-friendly, it's practically Windows for many purposes. Some stuff that was designed propietarily for Windows won't work in Ubuntu, some things will with a little fiddling, and some things will work out of the box in Ubuntu. A handy tool to have is called WINE, which is a recursive acronym for 'WINe Is No Emulator' (originally stood for 'WINdows Emulator' and later changed as it really isn't an emulator at all), which basically lets you run many Windows programs in Ubuntu.

You are probably not going to be able to get any products running in Ubuntu that fiend for Silverlight. However, there are usually alternatives. It would probably give you an aneurysm to try and get Microsoft Office working in Ubuntu correctly. Thankfully, LibreOffice and Open Office are outstanding alternatives that will do everything except save as an actual (proprietary of Microsoft) virtual document, which really only hurts you if you are going to a Microsoft-only university that insists you use Microsoft (or some similar ultimatum imposed by others you are dealing with).

Ubuntu is Unix-like, using a Debian-based Linux kernel and the Unity Desktop.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_(operating_system)

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » July 6th, 2013, 10:25 am

Okay, thank you. I work in a Microsoft universe. I been telecommuting for years. Every job calls for windows.
I am looking for work on FlexJobs and Telesaur, some of the companies want to check out my computer, they say just to see if it meets their requirements but I guess they can look at what ever they want to in my personal files.
I am going to keep a separate hard drive for work.

this computer is spooky the way it is
for some reason it reminds me of an old song
"Someone's in the kitchen with Dinah, I know."

Return to “Help & Feedback”