"CrowdGather, Inc."

Need help? Ask here. Post site feedback here.
mnaz

"CrowdGather, Inc."

Post by mnaz » May 2nd, 2014, 6:35 pm

I found an active and fairly interesting (and not too formal) writer's forum called "writer's beat" recently, and I might register and start posting there.

however ... turns out this forum is part of an online "community" of forums affiliated with "CrowdGather, Inc."

in the terms of use I found this--- "As a condition of using this Site, you hereby license to CrowdGather, a non-exclusive, irrevocable, worldwide, perpetual, royalty-free right and license to display or remove the User Generated Content on its Site. Your access and use of this Site shall be construed as sufficient consideration for such license."

i'm not sure what this means, exactly. is anyone familiar with "CrowdGather"?

perhaps there are better forums I might consider? (in addition to this one ! )

judih
Site Admin

Re: "CrowdGather, Inc."

Post by judih » May 3rd, 2014, 10:52 pm

sounds like you authorize use of your content in any way in which they desire.
hmm.

gotpoetry.com is another spot i frequent. Lots of forums - I tend to stay in 'Haiku eaters' but there are tons of others.
just have to take a little time to get the lay of the land.
it's more complicated than studio 8

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » May 4th, 2014, 10:56 am

It sounds like pretty standard legal verbiage stating that they have the right to display your posts online.

"non-exclusive"- meaning they are saying it's your material and you can also post it elsewhere.

"irrevocable" - Meaning they won't delete it for you if you want to quit and ask them to delete your posts

"worldwide" - as in world wide web

"perpetual" - what you post could potentially be online forever

"royalty-free" - they're not going to pay you for the content

"right and license to display or remove the User Generated Content on its Site." - meaning they can publish your posts on their site, you're giving them permission, and also they have the right to delete whatever you post if they find cause to remove it.

Pretty much like every site. Sounds pretty standard to me.

No, I've never heard of CrowdGather but now I'm curious so I'll look them up.

Yes, I will know of another site to post shortly but they're not ready to launch. I'll post a link when they're ready.

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » May 4th, 2014, 11:05 am

Is this it? http://www.writersbeat.com/

HUGE place. They have 13,944 members. Currently 20 members and 422 guests are online. Whoa! They must have a huge staff. *smile*

I don't see that verbiage in Terms of Service when you join. Maybe it's another site you're referring to. I haven't googled CrowdGather yet.

This one I posted the link to is a vBulletin site (like AC). Oh... I see on their About page they are part of the Crowd Gather community. I guess CrowdGather offers vBulletin software to site owners.

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » May 4th, 2014, 11:13 am

CrowdGather is an ad campaign marketing firm. They offer branding services, marketing services, advertising services, and forum hosting. Seems pretty legit to me.

http://www.crowdgather.com/

mnaz

Post by mnaz » May 5th, 2014, 11:05 pm

thanks for the help, judih and Doreen. I think your interpretation of the terms makes sense, Doreen. i'm not sure about joining that site yet--- still lurking and watching.

I also found some other sites that seem interesting, and geared to more "serious" (ha) posting and critique of writing, but you have to join first before browsing-- bummer. but I guess if i'm "serious" enough in my casting about for expanded online writing and lit interaction I may have to pick a few and sign up and see which one(s) might work.

thanks again.

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » May 6th, 2014, 9:11 am

Be careful and lurk a lot on those so-called "more serious" sites. For instance, I hope you don't decide to join Poetry Free-For-All where the administrators make note at the top of the index page:
WARNING! We're mean. We're nasty. We're merciless. We're cruel. We're vile. We're heartless. We'll slash your soul to ribbons. We're an evil clique conspiring to annihilate your self-esteem. Ready?
They're not kidding. The site is a horror show. They actually should rename it "Poetry Know-it-Alls". ;) If you're a masochist and you want to be insulted every day, that's the place to join. Hahah! Seriously, it's horrible. They allow their members to personally attack each other.

I'm not much into critique, but I'm helping some friends create banners for their new site which will launch soon and there will be some critique there, too. but they won't allow the personal attacks like at the site I mentioned above. It will be a good site! You'll like it. I'll post a link once they launch.

When I was writing a lot, I was always looking for new places to post. I love posting on several sites at the same time and I think widening our horizons in regards to audience and feedback is important! I can post some other links, too, to sites you may be interested in. I'll do that later.

mnaz

Post by mnaz » May 6th, 2014, 5:48 pm

thanks Doreen.

yeah, i'm familiar with the p.f.f.a. holy crap! they'd tear eliot and yeats to shreds ...

yeah, the more leads and links the better at this point. I'm looking around. I was harassed by some shithead over on the Baltimore site, so I might not be returning to that venue.

I agree with you. critique is one thing, but open, aggressive contempt is quite another ...

mnaz

Post by mnaz » May 7th, 2014, 8:29 pm

okay, maybe I should rephrase part of my last post. this guy on that other site, whom I've never actually met, was acting like a shithead-- and not only toward me, but also toward another member who has been there for a long time. and it's not the first time, either.

it's too bad that people feel a need to spew their bullshit and venom like that on internet boards. it kills everything.

alright. enough for now ...

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » May 21st, 2014, 9:55 am

I stopped posting over there a long time ago. Sorry to hear that happened. I'm not sure if that site is moderated for stuff like that. I used to post there quite a bit a long time ago.

Here's a new site you can join. You will be one of the first members! They just opened it. Invite your friends:

http://poetsintheattic.com/index.php

mnaz

Post by mnaz » June 8th, 2014, 5:08 am

thanks doreen. i'm checking it out.

btw, on a totally-unrelated note, i did send some (long-overdue) money for this site, and i hope it came through. the main reason i mention it is that i had problems with my bank card last month-- my bank recently switched from M/C to Visa, and i just recently got that figured out. hopefully it came through. this site has meant a lot to me over the last ten years. it has been a continuing inspiration..

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » June 8th, 2014, 10:32 am

Yes, I received your generous donation and replied to you by email to whatever email address is associated with your paypal account. I think it was a hotmail account but I'm not sure. I thanked you in my email and I thank you again here for your support! It means a lot to me and is very helpful! I also talked about other things in that email. I guess you didn't get the mail. Sorry! Maybe you don't check that email account regularly? Thanks again, Mark! Much appreciated!

Return to “Help & Feedback”