New on my blog

S8 events, our announcements & donate link.
Artguy

New on my blog

Post by Artguy » January 20th, 2010, 10:42 am

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » January 20th, 2010, 12:11 pm

I don't understand it Kurt. I don't understand how an artist can die in poverty and a couple generations later his art is priceless.

You have a typo I think.
In conclusion I think that we as Artist have got too either bite

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » January 20th, 2010, 12:25 pm

Your commentary is right on even down in Phar Lepht. It's been awhile since I've had a gallery represent me, but since that time the gallery scene here has been drastically reduced in numbers with only a few involved. And those that maintain a gallery have raised their commission to 60% and even more if they can get away with it.

As the economy continues spiraling downwards, there will have to be a change in what was more, more, more mentality of the gallery owners and a shift back, if you will, to a support system and major contributor to the owner's business. Without recognizing a partnership with thier artists, they separate themselves from what a gallery is - a showcase for artists, plain and simple, without gouging the artists.

The same problem is happening on the Arts and Crafts circuit. The folks who run these affairs are continually raising their prices for the artist's space which leave profit margins slimmer and slimmer until there comes the time to where the artists can no longer afford to do the shows.

Artguy

Post by Artguy » June 6th, 2010, 2:14 pm

Maybe it's time we reconsider the word ...barter.

Return to “Studio8 Announcements”