Studio Eight remodeling

S8 events, our announcements & donate link.
Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Studio Eight remodeling

Post by Doreen Peri » August 21st, 2010, 8:09 pm

We're going to move soon.

To a new location at a new link.

The software is being upgraded. You'll be able to upload photos and other good stuff.

Remodeling is in the works.

Once the remodeling job is complete and we're ready for occupancy, you'll all get an email with the new link plus when you hit this page, it will redirect you to the new link.

You'll see! You're gonna love it!

Stay tuned!

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » August 21st, 2010, 10:16 pm

I am so excited about this, I can hardly contain myself. lol ;)

judih
Site Admin

Post by judih » August 21st, 2010, 10:36 pm

i can't believe it's happening!
you've been making deals with secret tech societies?
what a cool surprise.

///awaiting the transformation///

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » August 21st, 2010, 10:51 pm

Hi judih...

Just realized I posted "soon" ... I don't know what that word means, exactly. BUT, yeah, it IS in the works.

I did a new clean install myself of the most recent software at a different URL address. I have a very kind and generous friend who's helping install the style (the way it looks, so it will still look this way... with our banners and everything, etc). He's also going to help by installing the database. When we're ready for that, will have to probably temporarily be offline for a day or so.

You'll love it! The new software has sub-forums so the forums won't be stretched so far all the way down the page (I've been wanting this forever it seems). There will be some set-up but it won't take long after the style and database is installed.

Then, voila! A new address, same beautiful poets and artists, same site, except we'll have some very nice features we don't have now.

There also is a user control panel we don't have now... which will give the members more options to control their experience here.

We'll announce and do our first jam in the new digs when it's ready.

:D

(the banners still won't rotate automatically but hey, that will come eventually... this is a HUGE step in the right direction... The current software is many versions old... :))

judih
Site Admin

Post by judih » August 21st, 2010, 11:16 pm

it sounds wonderful. (happy to hear about kind and generous friend with database capabilities and all that entails)

& you installed the update, so, obviously, courage and ability are also flowing through your veins in copious (or at least copious enough) amounts.

whenever it's cooked, we'll come to the table. a brand new jam to celebrate.

SadLuckDame

Post by SadLuckDame » August 21st, 2010, 11:41 pm

WOW! Sounds nice Doreen. I'm not great about change, but this sounds like it'll be a good one.
`Do you know, I was so angry, Kitty,' Alice went on...`when I saw all the mischief you had been doing, I was very nearly opening the window, and putting you out into the snow! And you'd have deserved it, you
little mischievous darling!
~Lewis Carroll

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » August 22nd, 2010, 12:12 am

Judih... As you know, I'm no techie... It just dawned on me that I could put it at a different web address so it was a new install not an upgrade... way easier. Plus I have the tech help for the rest. Lucky to have found a kind volunteer! Dinner's cooking... we'll have candlelight and stem glasses... one day "soon"... (oh and it's possible I may ask for your help with something ;))

Dame... you'll love it. It won't be a HUGE change only some rearranging so that the forums are more compact. Everything will still be here. You'll still be able to access the whole site. It will look pretty much the same... only better! ... you'll see! :)

Thanks, you guys, for looking forward to it with me. :)

Steve Plonk

Post by Steve Plonk » August 22nd, 2010, 9:31 am

Let us know the new address on the old website,ie. refer us, and the new web address at the new site of studio eight as soon as you set up.

Will our site still be called Studio Eight? Also, will our old passwords work on the new site?

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » August 22nd, 2010, 9:56 am

Hi Steve.... Yes! Everything will remain the same, except there will be new features!

It will still be located at the Studio Eight website.
It will still be named Studio Eight.
Your passwords will still work!
You'll get an announcement with the new link once it's ready.

Also, when you come here, you'll see a message with a link to click to the new location.

This is simply an upgrade of the software. That's all it is. It's been a long time coming. It's really important to keep the software upgraded for many reasons.... security improves, site features improve, they add new features, etc. and we are several versions behind.

I'm only moving the forums to a new link because I'm no techie and didn't know how to do the upgrade .... so this was the easiest way to do it to get the new software that's so much better than this... .to put it at a new address!

All the posts and forums will still be there. Everything will be the same. :) You'll love it!

judih
Site Admin

Post by judih » August 22nd, 2010, 11:13 am

(i see - a new install is actually easier)

....to future stemware
let me know what i can do.

Return to “Studio8 Announcements”