Security Precaution on the Net- Please Read

S8 events, our announcements & donate link.
Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Security Precaution on the Net- Please Read

Post by Doreen Peri » October 1st, 2010, 12:50 am

Public Service Announcement.

I've been reading up on how some people use the same log-in for one site as they do for all the sites they go to, including their email.

Just as a precaution, I want to tell you that this is not a good idea!

Hackers are aware of this and if your password ever gets hacked for any site on the net, the hacker would also try to log into your email, your online banking, etc.

As a security precaution for yourself, please do not use the same password for this forum or any other site you go to on the web which is the same password as used to access your email or your financial accounts.

Please do bear in mind, when you register for any site on the web (including facebook, youtube, myspace, here, there or anywhere else), your email will also be stored in the database.

Important note:
None of the admins here have access to your passwords. Your passwords are encrypted and we can't retrieve them.

However, savvy hackers can sometimes jeopardize the security of sites and if they gain access to the database, they could attempt to decrypt the passwords of members, then try to access various other accounts of theirs.

I'm only posting this notice since I'm educating myself and want to share what I've learned so you will know too.

Fortunately, our new software has enabled us to force new members to use a combination of letters and numbers when creating a password.

What I suggest doing:
The force registration of a mixture of numbers and letters only effects new members (as I understand it) so I strongly encourage you all to change your password to something which mixes letters and numbers and not to use the same password for all of the sites you go to. Use different passwords for each site. Write them down somewhere or memorize them. Storing them on your computer is probably also not a good idea in regards to security on the net.

This has been a Public Service Announcement.
We now return to our regularly scheduled program.

Studio8 artists & poets, do your thing... password protected.

Thank you.
Charity donations will be accepted at
my P.O. Box as soon as I get one. :P
:P

Lightning Rod

Re: Security Precaution on the Net- Please Read

Post by Lightning Rod » October 1st, 2010, 1:01 pm

Locks Are For the Honest
"These words don't make me a poet, these Eyes make me a poet."

The Poet's Eye

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » October 2nd, 2010, 7:39 pm

James.... thanks for the support and the links! :)

LRod.... Honestly? :)

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » October 2nd, 2010, 7:43 pm

Mr techhead neologistic James, my friend...

There's a "force password" change in the admin panel, as you know, I'm sure. Do you recommend using this feature to force members to change their password every certain number of days for their protection? Or is that going a little overboard? What do you think?

still.trucking

Post by still.trucking » October 3rd, 2010, 8:02 pm

"When we arm ourselves we arm our enemies"

This is probably a dumb question but does anyone know if G d has a facebook account?

Why am so paranoid
Was those air raid sirens and blackouts during world war 2
or the shortwave radio broadcasts from europe and the fear of adults in my family
good copy doreen
"Natural selection, as it has operated in human history, favors not only the clever but the murderous." Barbara Ehrenreich

Free Rice

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » October 3rd, 2010, 8:22 pm

This is probably a dumb question but does anyone know if G d has a facebook account?
http://www.facebook.com/pages/God/10141 ... ref=search

Yes, and as of this time when I'm posting this, he has 3,494,101 followers but it doesn't look like he communicates with any of them.
God has no recent posts.
God has no more posts.
:)

He or she must be the silent type.

Return to “Studio8 Announcements”