RIP - Norman Mallory aka Zlatko Waterman

S8 events, our announcements & donate link.
Doreen Peri
Site Admin

RIP - Norman Mallory aka Zlatko Waterman

Post by Doreen Peri » May 15th, 2013, 10:01 pm

I just found this obituary online when searching for some of Norman's work.

http://obits.dignitymemorial.com/dignit ... id=5478407
Norman C. Mallory, 67, died Tuesday, March 26, 2013 at City of Hope Helford Hospital in Duarte, California, from complications following cancer surgery in January. Born July 16, 1945 in Salem, Oregon, Norman was an only child and spent his youth in the Pacific Northwest, Alaska, and Northern California. He graduated from high school in Chico, California and earned his MA in English from California State University Chico; he also did work toward a PhD in English at the University of Nevada Reno, concentrating on the works of James Joyce and William Butler Yeats. While doing his graduate work, Norman taught freshman English at both of the above mentioned universities. He taught for the Ventura County Community College District for nearly 30 years in the areas of Humanities, Art, Film, Journalism, and all levels of English. He was first hired to teach full-time at Moorpark College in the early 1970s and transferred to Ventura College in 1984 where he retired from teaching in July of 2000. He was a resident of Ventura County for almost 30 years.

Throughout his life Norman considered himself an artist, above all. After concluding his teaching career, he concentrated on his art full-time for the remainder of his life. He felt a special kinship with drawing, continuously practicing this skill, as he considered it fundamental to his work. He was a visual artist and illustrator, primarily a painter, working in watercolor, oil, acrylic, and egg tempera. Norman was a very active member of the Flickr website, posting there more than 5000 images of his work since joining in 2007. His work can be viewed there. He was a well-respected artist and a mentor for many young people who requested assistance and needed encouragement. He was known for his generosity in assisting other artists. His illustrations have appeared in many national and international periodicals such as Le Monde and der Freitag. He was also a published poet and essay writer, a musician, playing the guitar and mandolin, and a singer. He played in numerous acoustic bands and especially enjoyed performing gospel, bluegrass, old time, and country music. He was made an Honorary Lifetime Member of the "Old Time, Country, Bluegrass, Gospel Music Association."

Norman was a voracious reader of books; his taste was amazingly broad from science fiction, philosophy, biography, and history, to art, literary criticism, politics, and religion. A lover of libraries since the age of 9 when he discovered the Anchorage Public Library while living in Alaska, Norman went so far as to marry his own librarian, Mary LaBarge, a reference librarian at Moorpark College. Their relationship began in 1984 and she was by his side at his death.
The accompanying drawing is by Mariah O'Neill.

In lieu of flowers, please donate to The Humane Society of Ventura County, at http://www.humanesocietyvc.org.

A Prayer Vigil will be recited Thursday, April 18, 7:00 P.M. at Ted Mayr Funeral Home, 3150 Loma Vista Road in Ventura. The funeral mass will take place Friday, April 19, 1:00 P.M., at Our Lady of the Assumption Church, 3175 Telegraph Road, Ventura.

Arrangements are under the direction of the Ted Mayr Funeral Home. Condolences may be left at TedMayrFuneralHome.com.

I am so deeply saddened right now.

We have lost a truly great artist and poet ...... and a dear friend.

I've moved his Zlatkomix Artlog to the Memorial forums at the bottom of the page and soon will create a better set up for his Memorial forum.

RIP, Norman. We love you!

RonPrice

Re: RIP - Norman Mallory aka Zlatko Waterman

Post by RonPrice » May 16th, 2013, 12:09 am

I did not know Norman Mallory or his poetry and artwork online, Doreen. Thank you for your email today with its information about Norman and his many years at Studio8. I will be 70 in 14 months time and the older I get the more often people pass from my world. It will soon be two months since Norman died of cancer on March 26th. I have been at this site for several years myself as well as 100s of other sites in cyberspace. Cyberspace has become for me a parallel universe with 100s, indeed, 1000s of friends. Friendship has a new meaning and context on the world-wide-web.

I'll post a little something in the memorial section of this website at the bottom of the Studio8 index page. My tribute and memorial statement will be a general one, drawing as it does on several I have written recently for friends and family members. In the process I'll have a look at some of his poems and artwork. Indeed, RIP Norman.
married for 46 years, a teacher for 35, a writer and editor for 14 and a Baha'i for 54(as of 2013)

e_dog

Re: RIP - Norman Mallory aka Zlatko Waterman

Post by e_dog » May 16th, 2013, 9:10 pm

RIP Zlatko.

what can one say about this?

i'm still speechless about LRod.

someday need to say more.
I don't think 'Therefore, I am.' Therefore, I am.

Return to “Studio8 Announcements”