YOU own copyright. S8 will delete your work when requested.

S8 events, our announcements & donate link.
Doreen Peri
Site Admin

YOU own copyright. S8 will delete your work when requested.

Post by Doreen Peri » March 23rd, 2015, 7:30 pm

Studio8 would like to be clear that YOU own your OWN work and the copyright to your work belongs to YOU, NOT to Studio8. We will never publish the content you post here elsewhere without your permission and will not use it in ANY capacity other than allowing it to remain on the forums, if that's what YOU want.

Some members have been deleting their originating posts which make the subsequent replies make no sense whatsoever. If you'd like your originating posts deleted, the entire thread must be deleted.

I'm sorry there's no way to configure the software so that each member can remove their own threads. As much as I'd like to set it up this way, there's no way to do it.

Therefore, if you want to delete the poems you posted as the original posts of threads, all you have to do is send me links via private message to the threads you'd like to see deleted and I will delete the threads for you.

We will also delete your membership and all of your posts at your request.

whoaisme

Re: YOU own copyright. S8 will delete your work when request

Post by whoaisme » March 25th, 2015, 3:14 pm

oh this is great i wish there was a way to delete convo's in real life

i've learned the hard way to keep my big food hole shut, especially after some drinks

:twisted:
"From the sudden invasion of a mind not my own in the world. This I will record. For whom? For m y s e l f, beyond denial and beyond indifference." - Philip Lamantia

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » March 25th, 2015, 4:18 pm

I've always thought people posting on the net should have full control of their own material. Of COURSE, all members retain copyright to their material but there's no way to set it up so members can delete their own threads.

I once wrote a poem about what you just said, whoaisme .... about wishing there was a delete button in real life. ;)

Anyway, with this announcement, please be aware that it's important to keep copies of your own work. For instance, if you reply to a poem with a poem and then the author of the original poem decides he or she wants that thread deleted, your poem reply would be deleted, too, since the entire thread would be deleted.

I've stressed the importance of keeping copies of your own work for years on this site because I've experienced several sites closing and then work I didn't save was gone. There's never a guarantee how long a site will be open, so in addition to poems posted as responses, it's always a good idea to keep copies of everything you write which you want to save.

:)

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » April 13th, 2015, 8:39 pm

There IS a pruning tool that comes with the phpBB software but I'm not sure exactly how it works since I've never used it.

That said, we'll remove your work at your request any time you want. I prefer you'd do the search yourself and send me links. The entire thread needs to be deleted, so I'll need the links.

If you noticed, there's another topic about naming sites and talking about how they operate and how that's not a good idea here at Studio8. I don't think that's proper netiquette. You can start your own review blog for that. Just sayin'.

Also, I'm *happy* we have 10 years of content posted on Studio8. There are many interesting threads to read so I like the "library" as the other admin of the other site called it. I oftentimes find myself searching through the archives/library and finding treasures!

Many poets on this site write their work spontaneously, sometimes in response to other poems, other times straight into the posting window and though I've advised people through the years to save everything they write in a separate file, I myself don't do that sometimes. I get inspired and do my writing directly into the posting window. Therefore, finding works I wrote 5 years ago or 10 years ago, for example, which I never saved, is like finding a treasure! I LOVE it!

I've lost a LOT of work I never saved in separate files. I've had sites close where I typed my work directly into the posting window and now none of it is retrievable because the sites are off-line. I also cannot guarantee how long S8 will be online. Hopefully for a long time but there's no telling, so always keep copies of your work or even your essays/responses/whatever you write, if you want to keep it.

We will adhere to respecting your copyright and deleting your work upon request (and YES, it is as it SHOULD be), but I'm not going to even consider scheduled deleting (or as you called it "scrubbing) all content "4-6 months max" as you suggested, using the pruning tool.

If you'd like to have a site like that, the phpBB software is free and you can buy a web domain name, upload the software, pay for the hosting, and set it up that way. There are many site owners who use the pruning tool. Used to be they used it for saving storage space which is why phpBB developers added the pruning tool to begin with. These days, hosts offer unlimited storage space (or so they say), so saving storage space isn't important any more.

Pruning/deleting older posts regularly won't happen here.

We have archives going back to 2004 when we opened and MANY of us treasure them. Some of our members have died and some of us are old enough that our turn could be next. The past conversations as well as writings and responses to the writings on Studio8 are treasures, in my opinion. The recorded conversations bring memories of those who have passed and are especially treasured to me and other members here.

There are also many original members who don't post here any more for whatever reason. Just like in real life, people move on. So, reading the material they posted long ago and the conversations we had with them is like seeing an old friend again. It's absolutely delightful! Recording is a wonderful thing. This is why people take photographs and create videos. :)

Thanks for reminding me. I really need to find someone to take over paying for the hosting of the site once I'm gone because, after I'm dead, I won't be able to pay for it. Even it ends up as a "read-only" archive, I'd like to keep it alive for reading.

Glad you're all happy with the fact that we will delete your material at your request.

Sorry, we won't be setting up an automatic pruning, but again, not only phpBB is free, but there are other forum software applications you could use to start your own site to do that if you want. There are many of them out there!

:)

All that said, glad to see you both here. I enjoy your work as well as interacting with you.

I hope one day the software has an option to allow members to delete the threads which they started themselves. That would be optimal!

creativesoul

Post by creativesoul » November 17th, 2015, 1:21 pm

I wish I could print it all out- I know_ anyway it's a dyslexic nightmare- at any rate- it's been awesome - I'm quite thank full
Love coming here
reason is over rated, as is logic and common sense-i much prefer the passions of a crazy old woman, cats and dogs and jungle foliage- tropic rain-and a defined sense of who brings the stars up at night and the sun up in the morning---

Return to “Studio8 Announcements”