Bogus Member Names to be deleted

S8 events, our announcements & donate link.
Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Bogus Member Names to be deleted

Post by Doreen Peri » September 23rd, 2004, 4:24 pm

Recently, we've had the following member names register and post nothing -

are516
Vikariy986
drug-test-845
Body-jewelry-309
And6155
And2195

All of these names seem to be computer generated and some have links to websites which are hubs.... clearly not real people who intend to post real ideas on an arts forum.

I need to figure out how to install a bot block ..... long story and if i understood it, i'd explain it better, but basically, the way I understand it, there are programs available which someone can use which can register bogus computer generated names to forums like these so that later, the people can come in and use those names to attack the forums.

I'm not making this up. LOL! Sounds like it but really I'm not.

Just wanted to let you guys know that I'm working on getting a mod (modification) installed to stop this from happening.

If any of these names are real people, I'd hate to delete their registration in advance of their posting so I won't, but I suspect they are not real. Nobody signs up in forums with names like that.

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » September 24th, 2004, 10:52 pm

OK, so whatever computer bot is racking these up, these are obviously not *real* member names....

they keep on coming .... if any of these are YOUR real name, please post something or email me and let me know who you are

email addresses for the registration seem bogus and so do the hub website addresses associated with the member name

so, the following names will soon be deleted from our member list

valium-227
and118
riso12
and898
are516
Vikariy986
drug-test-845
Body-jewelry-309
And6155
And2195
vlad99