Narrowing down the book title - Final Voting Here

S8 anthologies & member's books.

What should be the title of our first book? Please select the title you like best. All were submitted by members.

Loop
7%
Infinity Sideways
7%
Ad Infin8um
4%
IMAGIN8tions
26%
Crea8tion
7%
Infinite Tide
33%
Eight to the Bar - Infiniti Sideways
15%

Total votes: 27

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » November 27th, 2006, 2:43 pm

this thread is about

the book tidal

hehe :P

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » November 27th, 2006, 2:53 pm

panta... about the choice of the title being based on the artwork & poetry submitted... well, since we didn't ask for a theme, the themes are vast... so it would be tough to write a title that way.

I think once we decide on the title, the organization and layout of the book will follow suit and it will work out to inspire how the book is put together, despite the differences in themes...

We can tie the book together with some type of thread that keeps the title in mind.

panta rhei

Post by panta rhei » November 27th, 2006, 3:41 pm

dor -- yes, of course. it would rather work that way, i agree.
i was just thinking out loud again, considering the possibility that the submitted works were so far from the idea of "tides" that such a title would simply not work.

but tides is a very elastic expression. as is infinite. as is imagination. as is poetry and creation.

i agree that the book should be tide together with some kind of thread that keeps the tidal in mind!

p.s. could someone explain the meaning of "eight to the bar" to me, please? what does it mean? eight people sitting at a bar?

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » November 27th, 2006, 5:31 pm

The only reference I have to "eight to the bar" is a cheer we used to do in junior high school. The cheer started, "Beat me, daddy, eight to the bar!" ... I believe it refers to a count in music. Eight beats per bar, per measure.

Whoever knows more or whoever it was who submitted that one (Deb? was it you?), please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

This will all come together.. it will work out. Obviously, from the vote most people really liked the "Infinite Tide" title but the poll is still open and the book isn't finished so if other people vote who haven't voted yet, it could change.

Did I jump the gun by saying that title won? I'm sorry if I did.

I just saw the votes stop coming in and figured everybody who was going to vote, did vote.

The "Infinite Tide" as either a title or a subtitle, combined with "Imagin8tions".... I think it's going to work well but if it changes, so be it.

Thanks all!

edit -
a quick google search showed that the Andrew Sisters did a song called "Beat me daddy, eight to the bar" and that the term refers to the boogie-woogie style of jazz in 4/4 time.... (8 beats per bar/measure maybe? counting the synchopated in between beats) :)

izeveryboyin

Post by izeveryboyin » November 27th, 2006, 5:51 pm

I like combining the titles but switching it around. It sounds WAY better like that.

--k
sometimes I just like to breathe.

www.technicolorfraud.blogspot.com

Arcadia

Post by Arcadia » November 27th, 2006, 7:08 pm

I couldn't vote tampoco (it seems my computer has identity problems lately) but I liked all the titles and "Imagin8tions - An infinite tide of art and poetry" sounds really good!
good luck!

Cenacle

hi again

Post by Cenacle » November 30th, 2006, 8:42 pm

I've been very busy at work, then took a needed vacation, then some health issues to deal with, blah blah, but here I am again, I think Infinite Tide is a great title!

A subtitle's purpose is to elaborate, especially on a lovely title such as that, but one that does not tell what the book is, so keep this in mind. It doesn't have to be slick, it can be as simple as: A Poetry Anthology from the Studio 8 Collective. Then, in the intro, a few more notes could explain the details of who/what/when/why etc. But, basically, keep the subtitle short, and make it do its work.

Has the selection process begun? I'm at work so only enough time to post once here, and no email access (firewalls, blah), but I'll check back tonight if I can, and I've checked the "notify me" box for this thread. I hope there is still time for me to help out :)

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » November 30th, 2006, 8:54 pm

Hi Arcadia... sorry you didn't get to vote but we truly appreciate your poetic contributions!

Hi Ray...
Glad you like the "Infinite Tide" title. I think it's a good one, too. I do like "Imagin8tions" also so each will be used... One as the title, one within the subtitle. And yes, I agree the subtitle should be short and descriptive of what the book is.

The selection process has not yet begun because I've been so very busy myself I haven't had time to compile the submissions. I have set myself a deadline, though. The deadline is this week. So I will get the submissions collected into one document no later than Sunday (I am promising myself so I am writing this down in public to help force me to fit it in! ;))

Once I have the master document of all submissions put together, you have volunteered to be on the reading committee so I will share it with you and the others who have volunteered.

I've decided it will be a simple process. Yes or no. Majority rules. That's it. Make sense? I like the idea. The material is very good. As I said in an earlier post, I doubt there will be many no's.

Once we have the material selected, you know the routine because you do it yourself with your own publication.... I will work on the layout and typesetting.

Thanks for wanting to help!

(hope your health issues are resolved or getting resolved soon)

------

To all... we need a volunteer to get an ISBN # and bar code. I have no idea how to go about this.

Anybody know? Anybody want to volunteer to do it for us?

panta rhei

Post by panta rhei » December 1st, 2006, 5:59 am

doreen -

to get an ISBN (and a bar code) you'll have to get registered as a publisher and get assigned a publisher number by the national ISBN agency ( http://www.isbn.org/standards/home/index.asp ) first.

the agency will then assign you a number of ISBNs, complete with publisher prefix and associated block of numbers, which you as a publisher then can assign to the publications you hold the publishing rights to.

you can get 10, 100, 1000 or 10.1000 ISBNs, but even ten are quite pricey already (around 250 dollars, plus around 25 dollars for each barcode).

so, getting an ISBN is easy... all you have to do is click on that link above, read the FAQs, apply, get registered and pay (!!)....

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » December 1st, 2006, 1:53 pm

Aha! It cost money! Well that makes perfect sense! Just like everything else, all you need is money! lol!

Can ya just get one instead of ten for $250? heh... well I can only hope, right? I'll check out the link.

Thanks, panta!

judih
Site Admin

Post by judih » December 1st, 2006, 3:28 pm

it's a wonderful link, anemone.
You have to buy one bar code for one volume? Is that the deal? Who's actually done this. Bill ectric has - perhaps he could enlighten us.

Zlatko, what about you?

panta rhei

Post by panta rhei » December 1st, 2006, 3:34 pm

i don't know if you can get only one ISBN, doreen. doesn't look like when i read that isbn.org site, though. they probably think that those who register as a publisher are going to publish more books that just one...

and, yeah, it costs money. here, too.
but it's a lot cheaper in germany - you get 10 ISBNs for 15 euro, for example (plus the registration itself, which is 120 euro, but that is a one-time thing), plus postage and taxes.
and, you can also get a single ISDN, which is 70 euro. in this case, though, you do not get a publisher number which identifies your publishing company through the ISDN, so that's only for real one-time projects.

maybe we should publish the book in germany instead!

panta rhei

Post by panta rhei » December 1st, 2006, 3:38 pm

judih - yes, you can buy the bar codes one by one, and choose if you want buy one at all (at least that's how i understand it).

but you have to buy 10 ISBNs at a time, which in itself, is fine, as studio8 may want to publish more things in the future, and being registered as something like "studio eight publishing" is a fine thing as well -- but the thing is, it is expensive.

maybe there is an option for just getting one number in the usa as well, though, and we just haven't seen it yet - or, maybe we should simply email them and ask...

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » December 1st, 2006, 5:18 pm

What do you think of this?

Is it legit?

One ISBN # and barcode for $55

http://www.publisherservices-us.com/?gc ... GgodXh8wkw

Here's their FAQ page

http://www.publisherservices-us.com/isbnfaq.htm

panta rhei

Post by panta rhei » December 1st, 2006, 5:51 pm

it sounds okay ( i guess "publishers' services" has discovered a gap in the market here), even though i'm amazed that bowker would allow it, since bowker, themselves, seem to be so interested in making profit by selling the numbers (that's at least the impression their prices and conditions give). ps is clearly acting commercially here, functioning as a publisher, buying great blocks of numbers from bowker, and the selling them profitably to one-time publishers.

it sounds legit, though, and what i like is that they are pretty clear and thorough in their explanations:

"Our publisher prefix identifies Publisher Services as the publisher and ISBNs purchased through our service have a Publisher Identifier listed as Publisher Services. The block is registered under the name Publisher Services to best represent the customers we serve. Prior to Bowker recently adding terms and conditions to their application process which now limits the assignment of numbers, The Publisher Services division of Bar Code Graphics purchased blocks of ISBN numbers from the US ISBN agency. It is important to recognize that our customers retain all copyright and distribution rights, since the assigned unique international identifier associated to a particular publication (title/author). Although Bowker discourages ISBN assignment by third parties, our service does not violate the ISBN terms and the numbers we provide are legitimate and cause no disruption to the book industry supply chain."
(from the FAQs)

... so, buying a number from them would mean that the book would be published under the name of "publishers services". the name wouldn't appear on the book, of course, but the publisher number block of the ISBN would show it.

for a real one-time project it would be a good solution, i think.
it would save you a lot of money for this book project.

but if you, doreen, are thinking about a possibility of further books (anthologies or your own books or books of other s8 members published under "s8 publications", or however you might want to call it), registering as a publisher at bowker surely would be the better way to go, not only looking more professional, but also saving you money in the long run.

(hell... you could even do it like ps and profitably sell single ISBNs to us s8-ers when we want to publish our own writings...!)

Return to “S8 Community Books”