E’en death’s cold wave I will not flee,
Since war through Jordan leadeth me

with apologies to Stephen Foster

http://www.stephen-foster-songs.de/foster171.htm

mnaz

Re: War casualties.

Post by mnaz » June 16th, 2011, 11:23 am

yes..

might as well at least smoke that victory cigar..

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » June 16th, 2011, 5:59 pm

All right Mr. De Mille, I'm ready for my close-up, send for my flight suit

The cigar scene in Independence day comes to mind. I can't remember which came first the movie or the war. I guess the movie was five or six years before the war. Our first fighter pilot president. That was so great. If only we would be attacked by death lizards from outer space. I bet that would get our economy going again.

On the war in Libya:
Obama is plenty smart, the white house is saying he don't need congressional approval for the "police action" there. The man is a lawyer, studied constitutional law, taught a course at Harvard I think. He should know right? And it is a cheap war so why not? Plenty of other presidents have done the same the white house says. So why should I care.

I am shopping around for an Obama Commander and chief action figure. I already have one of Bush.
Attachments
codpiece-in-chief.jpg
ma_crash.jpg
ma_crash.jpg (47.33 KiB) Viewed 2024 times

mnaz

Post by mnaz » June 16th, 2011, 7:25 pm

it's chimpy mcflightsuit !

the way i feel about this culture of endless war is . . . i can't afford to "lose too much sleep over it," for lack of a better way to put it. but i won't let anyone blow smoke up my ass about how "good" and "unavoidable" it all is either...

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » June 17th, 2011, 5:15 am

i can't afford to "lose too much sleep over it," for lack of a better way to put it. but i won't let anyone blow smoke up my ass about how "good" and "unavoidable" it all is either...

I don't lose much sleep over it either.
I always find something in Joel's poetry I can use.
He quoted Timothy 2 in a poem and it made me curious so I picked up my KJV for the first time in months.
I have never read the New Testament through I just pick at it now and then. And Paul is my least favorite writer, but even so I like this bit a lot

"But avoid foolish and ignorant disputes,, knowing that they generate strife."

I rely on the Humor of Christ, which was irony, so as not to generate strife. If that fails, I go to silence..

Terence McKenna talks about what went wrong 12,000 years ago.

It seems so obvious to me, that is the beginning of the Neolithic revolution when the dominant patriarchal cultures started to.evolve. I have a hard time understanding his accent. Maybe that is what he is saying too :?

This is the unedited version of the passage from On The Road. I read somewhere that jack was not please with the editing of his masterpiece.
My mother once said the world would never find peace until men fell at their women's feet and asked for forgiveness. This is true all over the world in the jungles of Mexico, in the back streets of Shang Hai, in New York cocktail bars, husbands are getting drunk while the women stay home with the babes of their ever darkening future. If these men stop the machine and come home and get on their knees and ask for forgiveness and the women bless them peace will suddenly descend on the earth with a great silence like the inherent silence of the apocalypse.
I would fall down at the feet of Michele Bachmann or Sarah Palin if it would change anything. Kiss them cunts if that would stop the perpetual wars.

The Humor of Christ
Quaker Propaganda
He analyzes Christ use of irony
Attachments
trueblood.jpg
trueblood.jpg (28.06 KiB) Viewed 2019 times

Diana Moon Glampers

Post by Diana Moon Glampers » June 18th, 2011, 10:51 am

There must be a fine line between sarcasm and irony.
I am not smart enough to know where it lies.

If Obama deserves his Nobel Peace Prize so does Kissinger.

Free Rice

"a sixty-eight-year-old virgin who, by almost anybody's standards, was too dumb to live. Her name was Diana Moon Glampers."

one of those jerks

Post by one of those jerks » June 18th, 2011, 5:35 pm

I have had my A Ha moment. It is not war unless there are boots on the ground. So when President Sarah Palin takes over she can bomb the hell out of those Muslim bastards. Send in the drones, bomb the infidels back to the stone age.

What else could he have done? We did not want to lose face with France? I read somewhere that was the real reason for the war against Vietnam , we did not want to lose face. As I remember France got us into that war too.

I sure hope we wind up on the right side of history. I suppose that will depend if the Tea Party takes over the school boards and edits the history text books.

Yeee Hah
I am in a Slim Pickens mood today
sorry
Attachments
drstrangelove.jpg
drstrangelove.jpg (6.88 KiB) Viewed 2010 times
She is twice the man I am.

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » June 20th, 2011, 8:49 am

Debate Swirls Around Research Showing Lung Problems for Returned Troops

On one side are scientists, many working for the government, who say that a large number of returning troops have serious and potentially lifelong ailments. They point to an array of respiratory hazards in Iraq and Afghanistan — including powerful dust storms, fine dust laced with toxins and “burn pits” used to incinerate garbage at military bases — as potential culprits.

Those scientists also question whether the government has acted swiftly enough to study the effects of prolonged exposure to dust, allergens and pollution in Iraq and Afghanistan, and whether it is properly compensating those who may have service-connected lung injuries or diseases.

“I’m concerned that this exposure is not getting the serious review it needs,” said Capt. Mark Lyles, the chairman of medical sciences and biotechnology at the Center for Naval Warfare Studies in Newport, R.I., who has studied dust from Iraq and Afghanistan.

On the other side of the debate are officials with the Pentagon and the Department of Veterans Affairs who assert that current research remains inconclusive. They acknowledge that some troops are returning with respiratory symptoms but say those problems vary widely depending on genetic background or location of deployment and are usually temporary.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/20/us/20 ... l?_r=1&hpw

mnaz

Post by mnaz » June 29th, 2011, 2:09 pm

as far as "karma" of the species, i think the whole individual valor thing in the face of random, contrived mass-violence is at odds... misses the point, as it were...

still so backward and primitive..

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » June 30th, 2011, 3:08 am

"Natural selection, as it has operated in human history, favors not only the clever but the murderous." Barbara Ehrenreich

Return to “Rant, Rage & Laugh”