Are you a third wave feminist, a libertarian, or a pro-life

Creative complaints & humor.
Hypatia

Are you a third wave feminist, a libertarian, or a pro-life

Post by Hypatia » January 10th, 2012, 8:06 pm

Pro-life feminism

I am so tired of hearing about the republican primaries. I wish that dog and pony show was over. Speaking of dogs and ponies whatever happened to Dr. Ron Paul. He is one smart guy, he introduced a bill in congress that there should be a law stating that life begins at conception.

I am so glad to hear that. I felt so guilty about all the spermatozoa I have murdered.
I used to be smart.

stilltrucking

Re: Are you a third wave feminist, a libertarian, or a pro-l

Post by stilltrucking » March 22nd, 2012, 7:22 pm

It’s interesting to consider the larger social anxieties at play when it comes to the “right to life” debates. Rick Santorum recently made a great show for personhood amendments, declaring, “Personhood is defined as an entity that is genetically human and alive.” But unfertilized eggs are “genetically human.” And sperm swim, so technically they’re “alive.” (Or, as an irreverent friend suggested: fellatio must therefore be a form of cannibalism.) If egg and sperm are sacralized even before they meet, it goes a long way to explaining why the evils of contraception are back on the table.

But if we push this figuration only a little, “conceptually,” life begins with DNA. Conceivably, every cell in our body is brimming with generative potential, particularly given new technologies of assisted reproduction. Santorum’s stance thus becomes a peculiar cross between the theological imperative to be fruitful and multiply and the fetishism of microbiological cellular promise.

The oddity of this discourse is best revealed by a recent rash of satiric bills pressed by clever female legislators. Virginia State Senator Janet Howell wrote an amendment to the requirement that women be subjected to vaginal probe before being able to have an abortion: “Prior to prescribing medication for erectile dysfunction, a physician shall perform a digital rectal examination and a cardiac stress test. Informed consent for these procedures shall be given at least 24 hours before the procedures are performed.” (Her amendment was defeated, but by a satisfyingly narrow margin of 21 to 19.) In Oklahoma, Constance Johnson introduced the “anti-spillage” amendment, which holds that “any action in which a man ejaculates or otherwise deposits semen anywhere but in a woman’s vagina shall be interpreted and construed as an action against an unborn child.”

Eggs Are People Too
http://www.thenation.com/article/166939 ... people-too

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » March 22nd, 2012, 7:47 pm

Will Rogers said, “The short memories of American voters is what keeps our politicians in office.” Or perhaps puts them there

Forty Years Later, We're Still Fighting 'Eisenstadt v. Baird'

The case was Eisenstadt v. Baird, which, as the historian David Garrow has pointed out, is “relatively unheralded” as a link between Griswold and Roe v Wade. Eisenstadt was a Massachusetts case (yes, the one state that gave its electoral votes to George McGovern later that year), triggered by activist Bill Baird’s act of civil disobedience, providing contraceptive foam to a woman at Boston University. It was only one of a number of arrests Baird had invited during his multi-year crusade on behalf of legalization of access to contraceptives. While working for a medical supply company, on a visit to a hospital where he was demonstrating equipment, he had seen a woman die with a piece of coat hanger stuck in her cervix.

http://www.thenation.com/article/166922 ... dt-v-baird

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » August 20th, 2012, 4:05 pm

Pussy Riot

Imagine this: The three men sit in a Moscow court, awaiting their verdict. The youngest, an experienced dissident described by Western media as a "sultry sex symbol" with "Angelina Jolie lips," glances at his colleague, an activist praised by the Associated Press for his "pre-Raphaelite looks." Between them sits a third man, whose lack of glamour has led the New Republic to label him "the brain" and deem his hair a "poof of dirty blonde frizz." The dissidents -- or "boys" as they are called in headlines around the world -- have been the subject of numerous fashion and style profiles ever since they first spoke out against the Russian government. "He's a flash of moving color," the New York Times writes approvingly about their protests, "never an individual boy."

If this sounds ridiculous, it should -- and not just because I've changed their gender. These are actual excerpts from the Western media coverage of Pussy Riot, the Russian dissident performance art collective sentenced to two years in prison for protesting against the government. Pussy Riot identifies as feminist, but you would never know it from the Western media, who celebrate the group with the same language that the Russian regime uses to marginalize them.

The Atlantic Magazine

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » August 31st, 2012, 8:31 pm

Lesson #2: Just because a second-wave feminist is old enough to be my mother doesn’t mean that she is my mother.

My next call was to Shulamith Firestone, who has been very reclusive after her 1970 Dialectic of Sex. Like Millett, she wrote her first book at twenty-five and had already founded and left several influential New York feminist groups such as Redstockings and New York Radical Feminists by the time it was published. Dialectic had a tight, ambitious, radical argument. “The missing link between Marx and Freud,” was how it was billed on the back cover. The point of feminism, Firestone argued, was to “overthrow the oldest, most rigid” class system—caste based on sex. The book was a bestseller, but Firestone left the movement soon after it came out and fell off everyone’s radar. In 1998, she published a lovely, tiny book of disturbing vignettes about people with mental illnesses called Airless Spaces. She called me when the book came out to see if I would review it. I seized the moment to get her involved in the classics project. After many phone calls with me, my agent, and the editor, in which we agreed to very specific terms (no new introduction, the same artwork as the 1970 edition, no publicity responsibilities on her end), Firestone agreed to participate. My agent negotiated for months to get the rights to Dialectic back from William Morrow.

Days before she was to sign the contract, Firestone called and said, Sorry for the trouble, but she had decided she no longer wanted the book to come out. It hadn’t made her life any better when it came out originally, and she didn’t want to go through any of that shit again. (“Refusing a career as a professional feminist, Shulamith Firestone found herself in an ‘airless space,’ approximately since the publication of her first book The Dialectic of Sex” reads the back cover of Airless Spaces.) I sputtered something about how my generation should have access to the book, that it could change lives and consciousness, and didn’t she care about that?

No, frankly, she didn’t. “If your generation really wants it, there are a few old copies available on Amazon.com,” she said. “I don’t feel a responsibility to bring out the book just because you want it. I’m very sorry.”

There had been so much back and forth, months and months of negotiating these tricky concessions, hours of phone calls and then poof! It was over. I couldn’t believe that I thought it was the patriarchal publishing industry keeping these books out of younger feminists’ hands when, in a way, it was the authors themselves. As I came to terms with the fact that my vision for a series of feminist classics wasn’t going to be realized, I started to see the lesson in Firestone’s actions. Her book was a challenge to the inevitability of the female role, especially that of the mother who has to forgo her own needs by constantly privileging the needs of her progeny. It’s true that men spend significant amounts of time mentoring other men—it’s the positive side of the old boys network—but men don’t feel that they owe other men this. With women, perhaps because we’ve only recently entered the public sphere, there is a sense that mentoring and torch-passing steal from one’s own hard-won store of power.
http://www.dissentmagazine.org/article/?article=586

Atehequa

Post by Atehequa » December 28th, 2012, 4:52 pm

After several stiff drinks I'm usually a pedestrian

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » December 29th, 2012, 2:17 pm

http://www.salon.com/2008/06/04/giant_v ... ycle_taxi/

My eyes don't lie
no matter how stochastic
they always settle on her face
Attachments
virginiawoolf.png
virginiawoolf.png (242.1 KiB) Viewed 2590 times

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » January 26th, 2013, 1:42 pm

Kathleen Parker
Opinion Writer
Combat puts women at unique risk

Remember, we’re not talking about female officers of a certain age pacing the hallways of the Pentagon when we speak of placing women in combat, though perhaps we should be. My favorite bumper sticker remains: “I’m out of estrogen and I have a gun.”

We’re potentially talking about 18-year-old girls, notwithstanding their “adult” designation under the law.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/ ... story.html

Return to “Rant, Rage & Laugh”