Don’t Let Your Children Become ‘Insufferable Poets’

Creative complaints & humor.
jackofnightmares

Don’t Let Your Children Become ‘Insufferable Poets’

Post by jackofnightmares » November 18th, 2019, 5:45 pm

AN OP-ED FROM THE FUTURE

CUT and Paste:
But while robots and computers have freed us to develop our softer skills, the outsourcing of science has come at a cost. Our children have lost the ability to understand many of the facts that govern the world around them.

The other day, my preschooler threw a ball in the air and asked his 6-year-old sister why it then fell to the ground.

“Existence is a tremendous weight upon one’s being,” my daughter replied.

But what about physics! I wanted to cry."it will turn them into insufferable poets, attuned only to their own monologues, adept at writing sestinas and sonnets but unable to survive without the constant hum of technology that does everything for them, no questions asked."

But while robots and computers have freed us to develop our softer skills, the outsourcing of science has come at a cost. Our children have lost the ability to understand many of the facts that govern the world around them.The other day, my preschooler threw a ball in the air and asked his 6-year-old sister why it then fell to the ground.

“Existence is a tremendous weight upon one’s being,” my daughter replied.

But what about physics! I wanted to cry.
"Skepticism is the chastity of the intellect" Santayana The Idea of Christ in the Gospels

Return to “Rant, Rage & Laugh”