Hand-painted or drawn art.
Doreen Peri
Site Admin

sunset road

Post by Doreen Peri » May 24th, 2009, 10:10 am

24"w x 48"h ... acrylics & oils on canvas

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » May 24th, 2009, 10:54 am

very good, Doreen... i like the colors, esp the lure of the top-center area... the softly spinning almost like cotton candy contrasting with the bottom where there is a seemingly urgent need to exist within the context of the complete surround... and then there! within the center my eye cannot stop being drawn to an amorphic shape that takes on different qualities as if to dare me to settle for one definition (nice bold size, too!).

may i ask: how long did this take you to complete?

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » May 24th, 2009, 12:22 pm

Thanks very much, Cecil! How long did it take me to complete? Short answer.... too long. :D

Here's the longer answer... I'm trying to find my media. First version of this I loved and took a photo of it when it was wet and posted it on facebook. Others seemed to like it, too. That was about 2 weeks ago. When I woke up in the morning, though, it was more drab and darker. I was using acrylics and it was very vibrant and alive when wet but I hated it when it dried.

So my sister told me about water-based oils. Who knew? How can they make oil paint that mixes with water anyway? It defies all logic.

So I bought some of those and started reworking it with layers using both acrylics and water-based oils which don't seem to dry darker... they seem to retain their color.

And this is how it turned out.

Anyway, all told, probably worked on it for a week an hour or so a night to arrive at the first version and another two weeks at night to finish it.

That's way too long! I'd like to learn how to turn out 2-3 paintings a week. I need to get enough of them finished so I can show them and start a little side business.

My problem is knowing when to stop. I look at it now and see stuff I want to "fix" ....... but it's time to move on (past time)... to the next one!

Boy, I sure can ramble on about myself, huh? LOL... sorry!

I have a question of you.... do you ever use glazes? I'd like to retain the "wet" look and heard using a glaze might be my answer.

gmart

Post by gmart » May 24th, 2009, 1:06 pm

Doreen,

Heres a couple things Ive learned about painting with oils in particular, I'm sure it applies to acrylics and water based oils as well.
The key to productivity is to have 3 or 4 paintings in process at any one time. This is actually better for the paintings because if you try to work wet on wet, you will often end up contaminating colors that you were happy with. If you wait until that stage dries, you can then work even on top of other colors and still remove something with thinner if it doesnt work and remove it without disturbing the dry colors.
It took me a while to get "Past" the feeling that I had to finish my current painting before moving on. Now I love being able to have 4 or 5 pieces all in process. I find by the time I go back to some of them my mind has clarified what needs to be done. Its almost like the time you take letting it dry allows your mind to work out the problems so when you do go back you know what needs to be done.

Its true that you can overwork paintings by trying to fix everything, just remember less is more when it comes to art. You'll know when its time to stop. Just walk away for a couple days while you start another 2 or 3 paintings. Before you know it you'll be getting the production you want. Good luck!

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » May 24th, 2009, 1:11 pm

time has no bearing on art, or at least it shouldn't, imho. i've been known to take months to complete a piece, altho there is something to be said about 'quickies'... :lol: i've done my fair share of those,too... even have three handbound volumes (small) that i've used for short works many years back.

i haven't used any glazes but have used liquitex varnish and krylon gloss spray for acrylics which retains the wet look quite nicely.

re: water-based oils... i purchase some of those many moons ago and still have not used them. nice hearding from someone that's used them and liked their effect. one day when i return to the easel i will give them a go.

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » May 24th, 2009, 1:14 pm

very good advice, gmart, and something i, too, will use for myself.

ty

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » May 24th, 2009, 1:16 pm

Hey Garry! ... actually I have 4 others in process right now also... But I do tend to want to finish one and focus on that! Sometimes I wonder whether I'll ever finish some I started.

Good advice about wet and dry .... thing is i like to work while their wet ... but I can see that waiting for it to dry when you come up with a color you like is a very good idea..... and you're right... stepping away from it and waiting does definitely help clarify what needs to be done next... time away is good.

All in all, good advice in your post and I thank you!

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » May 24th, 2009, 11:56 pm

here's my cat, Mingus... walking by the painting.. LOL

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » May 25th, 2009, 8:32 am

the color of his fur compliments the painting quite well, eh?

8)

Dave The Dov

Post by Dave The Dov » May 29th, 2009, 2:07 pm

Your kitty approves!!!! :D

Jacob

Post by Jacob » May 29th, 2009, 4:05 pm

I feel like walking off into the sunset and into the sky...

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » May 29th, 2009, 7:36 pm

Cecil... yeah Mingus is color coordinated with my painting! lol :)

Dave.... when he meowed in approval it was mewsic to my ears! :)

Jacob... let's take a walk... :)

thanks for looking, friends

Arcadia

Post by Arcadia » May 31st, 2009, 12:11 pm

mmm.... I listen water running in it!!!! :D so beautiful, doreen!!!!!!!!

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » October 4th, 2009, 12:01 am

Ohh.. you hear water? Arcadia, thank you!

Sorry, i missed your comment .. it's been a long time.. i was looking for the link to this painting to show someone and found it and saw your comment tonight. You're very kind. Thank you!

SadLuckDame

Post by SadLuckDame » October 4th, 2009, 12:48 am

Doreen, if I too could just walk on into your paintings, I'd be forever healed. So lovely!

Return to “Paintings & Drawings”