my studio ... works in progress

Post by Doreen Peri » November 6th, 2010, 10:46 pm

my studio... works in progress
Attachments
studio1.jpg

Artguy

Re: my studio ... works in progress

Post by Artguy » November 7th, 2010, 11:32 am

That chair looks far too nice to be anywhere near paint.

the mingo

Post by the mingo » November 7th, 2010, 1:18 pm

I love those blues you got going on...rich vibrant mysterious...like to see those stacked paintings when they are finished....
Doll, you may have found a place of rest but I'm still on the trail.

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » November 7th, 2010, 8:00 pm

Kurt... yeah, it's a nice leather chair... I move it away when I'm working/painting.... just there to pull out and sit down for a while to look at what I'm working on from a distance and take a break. I stand when I paint. Do you sit? Or stand? I'm always curious about stuff like this. I used to have a drafting table. When I did drawings, I'd sit at the drafting table, but when I paint, I have to stand.:) There are 2 work areas in the very small studio (10'x x 10' approx).... so there are paintings in the works on one side of the room and paintings in the works on the other side of the room at the same time. Knowing when to stop and say "this is finished" is my problem. Well, I have lots of other problems, too, but this certainly isn't the spot for them. I might need a shrink instead. I bet I'd do better standing up when talking to a shrink than sitting down or lying on one of their cliche couches. But then again, maybe not. I don't know.

mingo... thanks... 3 abstracts... still in the works. Hoping to finish them soon and will post them once I do. I'm moving toward brighter colors to help brighten my outlook and mood. I love so many colors... thank you! :)

Arcadia

Post by Arcadia » November 7th, 2010, 8:19 pm

amazing color-gates!!!!!!!! gracias for sharing them doreen, bravo!!!! :D

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » November 8th, 2010, 3:37 pm

nice place, Doreen... as are the pieces in the photo.

how do you keep the chair(s) and wooden floor from stray paint?
and is the chair balanced on the white case? :)

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » November 8th, 2010, 3:53 pm

Arcadia ... thank you! I've decided to go colorful to brighten up my day!... :)

Hey Cecil.... I move both of the chairs away from where I'm painting when I'm painting and the wooden floor is a mess.... I use old sheets as drop cloths, like the sheet draped over the table you see.... I spread them all over the floor, but still, I'm a very sloppy painter so there's paint in lots of places on the floor. I try to clean it sometimes but probably will never get it all up. Oh well. Obviously, I also get paint on the white walls. But I keep a gallon of white wall paint in my studio and every now and then touch the walls up. I'm thinking maybe I shouldn't do that and I should just let the paint stay on the walls and the splatters would be wall art.... The white styrofoam box underneath the chair isn't supporting the chair. It's just under the chair. It's one of 3 or 4 styrofoam boxes I kept from when they delivered meds to me via UPS and the styrofoam boxes kept the meds cold with ice bags. Instead of trying to figure out how to recycle styrofoam, I use them to store paint and brushes, etc. I had several more of those styrofoam boxes which I eventually dumped in the trash and have felt guilty ever since about throwing them into the landfill. Did you know that the world trade center (the 911 buildings) were built on a landfill? Gala from AC told me that. Ask her about it. Interesting story. :)

"What do they use to ship styrofoam?" - Steven Wright (paraphrased)

SmileGRL

Post by SmileGRL » November 9th, 2010, 10:20 am

awesome colors! and size! you have gone big, doreen. i'm still a little intimidated with big surfaces.

as for the walls and floors...i used to use a spare bedroom as an art studio/craft room, never had enough space to move and were always scared of messing up the walls and carpet. none of that is good for creativity. last month i decided to move my art space to the unfinished basement...concrete floors and walls. maybe not very cheery, but now i can mess all i want.

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » November 10th, 2010, 8:13 pm

SmileGRL! So great to see you. It's been a long time!

Thanks very much... and yeah, this is a real small space, this studio.. it used to be an attached shed but I had the shed gutted and finished and I wasn't even THINKING of putting wood floors in there until the guy who was doing the work said he had some "extra wood flooring" in his truck which he could sell to me cheap. LOL! Sounded a little suspicious but I bought the deal ... and now I wish I could afford wood flooring throughout my house. What I have is laminate that looks like wood in most of the other rooms and a couple of rooms with wall-to-wall carpeting.

Anyway, you moving into the basement where you have concrete floors was a GREAT move! I miss seeing your works.... Please post some more here! Now you can get sloppy so go ahead and go big, if you want. Or even if you don't want... the space where you can let loose and be free is the best!

Since you were last here, we added new features. You can now upload your artwork directly to the site.... Just scroll down under the posting window and you'll see an Upload Attachment button. I'd love to see some more of your artwork.

We've missed you!

judih
Site Admin

Post by judih » November 10th, 2010, 10:43 pm

i'm falling in love with those pieces on your desk, doreen.
wish i could walk into a room with those to greet me.

The shed sounds good
concrete floored unfinished basement sounds good

there's nothing quite like an entire room that holds the smell of paint and work in progress

SmileGRL

Post by SmileGRL » November 11th, 2010, 9:04 am

aah, ya made me tear up, miss dori. thanks for the encouragements and explaining the new features. i'll be sure to share some of the things i've finished since i last posted here.

it was great to browse through and see all the fantastic new offerings. there's nothing like a group of artists to encourage each other by sharing their art. yours made me want to pick up a brush and paint something in beautiful colors.

and judih...yes. and thanks for always being such a beautiful welcoming soul.

Zlatko Waterman

Post by Zlatko Waterman » December 21st, 2010, 8:09 pm

Very lovely. Can there be anything more exciting than paintings is progress?

Thanks for the look.

ZW
"M. Degas, when drawing, you often seem lose your way.
In fact, at times you barely seem to know where you are or where you are going."

(Degas):

"Nothing, madame, could describe my process of drawing better."

dadio

Post by dadio » December 22nd, 2010, 1:14 pm

Where the muse hangs out.

Return to “Paintings & Drawings”