Doreen Peri
Site Admin

first cartoon of an ad campaign ...

Post by Doreen Peri » October 19th, 2004, 1:00 am

first cartoon of an ad campaign i'm doing.... meet dr. albert wellington

Image[/img]

Zlatko Waterman

Post by Zlatko Waterman » October 19th, 2004, 9:24 am

Snappy and well-performed. I like the line quality, the spots of color, and the "grid-non-grid" asymmetry of the drawing and the type. You have good instincts and a healthy sense of design, Doreen.

Dr. Wellington looks a little like an old friend of mine, an ace photographer, who taught me the old chemicals darkroom technique when I was doing more commercial art myself.

Thanks for the look into your "workshop" !

--Zlatko

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » October 19th, 2004, 10:53 pm

Zlatko - thanks for looking!... I've never heard design-sense described just like that before.... " grid-non-grid assymetry"... that's really beautiful! that's poetry !! ;) I don't think of it.... i just do it. It's about balance in my eyes. And ideas which come outa my hands.

Interested in the boring process? Please say no..... I shouldn't be the only one who has to suffer this!.... ok, here 'tis... I drew this first with a pencil. Actually, I drew the head first all by itself. Then I drew a body somewhere else on the page. Then, I combined them in photoshop and colorized it and added lines to it and added the bubble and type for the character, then I put it in a Quark doc and added the text, which I wrote to fit, then after that, I saved it as a .pdf for business purposes, then saved it as a .jpg for posting purposes and THEN...

I looked at it again and I was angry with myself. The good 'doc's bubble was too small..... I had to stretch it sideways, so I opened photoshop again and did that and it wasn't 'til this morning that I realized that I'd screwed up Wellington's finger in the process!

ohhhhhh dammit! Back to the drawing board tomorrow! *sigh*

Next? H. G. Wells. It's a wellness campaign. What the well?

Thank you again, Z! :)

Zlatko Waterman

Post by Zlatko Waterman » October 20th, 2004, 9:21 am

Yes, Doreen:

I am always interested in the process. Since I was about 11 I have read hundreds of art "how-to-do-it" books, and my perusal of them continues to this day.

I'm always learning something from someone's advice, no matter how tawdry, if it's only how NOT to end up with their result.

In the case of your posters, I'm delighted to read the technical information.

Please grace these electro-pages with such explanations whenever you want. You will always have at least one reader.

Thanks for the description of your creative process.

--Z

Return to “Paintings & Drawings”