Doreen's "Wildflower Ridge" as a 3D print

Digital art & digitally enhanced photos.
neologistic
Site Tech Support

Doreen's "Wildflower Ridge" as a 3D print

Post by neologistic » July 18th, 2014, 9:03 am

Long time no haunt. I started dabbling in 3d print art and thought I'd try my hand at converting paintings into 3D printed "sculptures." I snagged a banner that randomly popped up (still love that feature) and went to Inkscape (free version) to do a few things. First, I traced to bitmap and deleted the original after I found a tweak in the trace to bitmap menu I liked. With the new filter applied for a bitmap, I saved as an SVG file. Then, I uploaded the SVG file to a 3D modeling program (I used Tinkercad for this, which is free and entry level...works especially well for those already familiar with photo-editing programs and features drag and drop functions). I uploaded in Tinkercad using the import STL or SVG file extension feature. Then, I created a canvas and sized it to fit, and finished by crediting Doreen's original work for the source that I based my work on.

Now I can download the 3D model as an STL file, which is a great filetype to have if you want to create something on many of the 3D printers out there. I am using a DIY (or as we call it Do-It-Together) 3D printer called a RepRap.

Here's Doreen's original banner image (hope it's OK to post this, Doreen):
wildflower_ridge.jpg
And here's the 3D model I created, ready to print out on a 3D printer:
wildflower_ridge3d.png
If you want to try this with images (be sure and have permission and give credit to any works you base your 3D model off of), reply with your go at it. Available for questions and help if you are interested but run into stumbling blocks.

If you post something that you made but don't have access to a 3D printer in your community, I can try to print it for you. If you are interested in building a 3D printer with community members in your area, let me know and I'll try to point you in some good directions.

You probably can't upload STL files here. I can change that if Doreen wants me to and there is actually a draw for 3D modeling files, but I can't make the forums show an image of them regardless..for that just take a screenshot and unless there's an interest in it I won't add STL file extensions as upload options..just link to your 3D model on Tinkercad, Thingiverse, or a similar web service that hosts 3D models for 3D printing, especially if you want me to print it.

Otherwise, just enjoy the eye candy :D Weird stuff, eh?

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Re: Doreen's "Wildflower Ridge" as a 3D print

Post by Doreen Peri » July 18th, 2014, 9:36 am

Hey James! That's pretty cool!

I hate that painting. Haha! ;) Your 3D model looks much better than the painting.

I don't know what an STL file is. I can't think of any other types of 3D print usages right now. Maybe something will come to me. I like the idea, though. I've read that 3D printers will be printing MANY things in the future so it's cool that you're involved with doing this.

neologistic
Site Tech Support

Post by neologistic » July 18th, 2014, 11:49 am

Oh yeah, also taking requests on turning images into 3D prints if anyone's interested in seeing an interpretation but not interested in fooling about with it all.

judih
Site Admin

Post by judih » July 19th, 2014, 12:48 am

wow! Neo! great to see you and to know you're into 3Ding.
You make it sound doable.
thanks so much

neologistic
Site Tech Support

Post by neologistic » July 19th, 2014, 2:03 am

Here's another one I did:
marx bros.png

neologistic
Site Tech Support

Post by neologistic » July 20th, 2014, 3:22 am

Hi judih! Good to see you!

I can post a better tutorial for one way of getting into 3D print modeling if you are interested!

Return to “Digital Art”