Rosewell Ruins

Post your photography.
Sober Duck

Rosewell Ruins

Post by Sober Duck » March 21st, 2005, 8:22 pm

mousey1

Post by mousey1 » March 21st, 2005, 9:09 pm

Just popped in to say I'm enjoying all your pictures. They take a Dickens of a long time to load but well worth it. :)
I used to walk with my head in the clouds but I kept getting struck by lightning!
Now my head twitches and I drool alot. Anonymouse

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v475/mousey1/shhhhhh.gif[/img]

Sober Duck

Sorry.

Post by Sober Duck » March 21st, 2005, 9:29 pm

Thanks Mousey, I've been trying to figure out how to download a smaller picture but it's beyond me. Doreen says it in my camera but I can't find any info that tells me how to change size. It's funny, I was going to ask if my pics were coming in smaller. Now I know. I'll figure it out eventually.
Last edited by Sober Duck on March 26th, 2005, 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Marksman45

Post by Marksman45 » March 22nd, 2005, 1:14 am

These are wonderful, Duck!

's funny, I was just writing a story, about the College of Wizard Arts. See, there's a student there by name of Conrad, and he's brilliant, but he's very careless, and he has a history of accidentally wreaking havoc. This one time he accidentally blew up a building on campus called Rosewell House

mousey1

Post by mousey1 » March 22nd, 2005, 8:14 pm

sober, I of course know nothing, but can't you resize them in photobucket and then upload them here, we can then click on them at will to enlarge.....or is the wind just whistling through my ears again :roll:

Anyway, it matters not, I'm on dial-up and everything is mud-trickle slow...once I get highspeed service there'll be no holding me back.
I used to walk with my head in the clouds but I kept getting struck by lightning!

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » March 22nd, 2005, 8:43 pm

hey Ducky!

Great photos! I love them!

If you're having problems adjusting your digital camera resolution (It's usually in a Menu somewhere), you can always get some free photo editing software which you can use to resize, crop, and make other adjustments or add effects.

I did a quick search and found these links to free photo editing software which you can download from the net.

http://www.picasa.com/index.php?tid=Y2NpZD0zNzc3

http://www.fotofinish.com/specials/phot ... p?id=24183

http://www.qurio.com/product/

http://www.freeserifsoftware.com/softwa ... sp?SP=G600

I've never tried any of these products so this is not a recommendation for any of these in particular... there are many out there..... but maybe one of these would work for you if you want to make your images a little smaller so they load faster.

:D

Sober Duck

Thanks

Post by Sober Duck » March 22nd, 2005, 9:31 pm

Thanks Doreen and Mousey, yes I can resize them through photobucket and I was resizing to 25% of the origional size but for some reason I went back to 50 %. However the root of my problem is still the origional download size that Potobucket recieves. I'll figure it out sooner or later. For some reason my camera sends a poster size pic. I can just imagine how much room my pictures are taking up on my PC.
Is this one smaller?

mousey1

Post by mousey1 » March 22nd, 2005, 9:46 pm

It loaded mucho fast. But this could be deceiving. :roll:
The picture is smaller, I believe.
I'll let you know on your next go round of pics. :)
Last edited by mousey1 on March 22nd, 2005, 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » March 22nd, 2005, 9:48 pm

Yes, that one is smaller. Much!

Try the links I posted. You won't need photobucket's percentage adjustment.

Whatever size the image is to begin with will be shown in the photo editing software application and you can resize it to any exact dimensions which you choose.

The reason why your camera is taking poster-sized photos is because of the camera settings which you can adjust in your camera settings menu. But it won't matter if you make that adjustment, if you use photo editing software.

I read on another thread, though, that you said your camera only holds a small number of photos in its memory. That's because of memory card limitations. If you find the menu where you can adjust the resolution, you can make more room on your camera for more photos. Some cameras say "good", "better" and "best" resolution. Select the lower one or the middle, not the best. Some use numbers like 1280 or 1024 or 640 .... Selecting the lower number will make your photos smaller.

But any of the links above will give you the tools you need to open the photo on your computer and adjust the size.

What did you do to make this last photo you posted smaller? Whatever you did, it worked!

I hope I'm helping and not making your frustrated or pissed at me or anything for offering advice.

ONe thing is, too, I like it when the photo is a little larger than the window here because you can click the photo and it opens up in a new window, bigger. It just takes a long time, especially on a 56K modem, for multiple large photos to load in one thread.

Sorry, I'm rambling.

jimboloco

Post by jimboloco » March 22nd, 2005, 10:09 pm

the initial pics load fast with me and the total screen enlargements are really kool for getting in to the scenes.
Last edited by jimboloco on March 23rd, 2005, 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[color=darkcyan]i'm on a survival mission
yo ho ho an a bottle of rum om[/color]

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » March 22nd, 2005, 11:17 pm

jimboloco wrote:the initial pics load fast with ,e and the total screen enlargements are really kool for getting in to the scenes.
I agree, Jim, that the screen enlargements are very cool!

It's not a browser thing, in regards to how much time it takes them to load, it's a connection thing. (I assume you meant IE when you typed ,e)

On a cable or dsl connection, bing bam boom! They all load lickety-split! No matter which browser you're on.

Unfortunately, most people on the internet are still using dial-up connections. I have a 56K dial-up connection on the computer I'm on right now and it took something like 10 minutes for all the pictures to fully load (and I'm using IE for my browser). On the other computer on a cable connection, they came in right away.

When it comes to photos or any other images on the web, sizing them is determined by how many people you want to be able to view them. Most people won't wait 10 minutes for a page to load. Many people, believe it or not, are still using a 28K modem which is half as slow as this one.

I still have a hard time believing that 90 percent of the viewers still use a screen resolution of 800x600. *sigh*

Anyway, bottom line is, the quicker images load for the most wide-range of viewers (no matter their connection), the more likely the viewers will look, which is what we'd all like them to do.

---------

SoberOne - feel free to continue posting your images as large as you like.... we are enriched by them. I'm just relaying info, that's all.

Sober Duck

Here's some more.

Post by Sober Duck » March 23rd, 2005, 8:17 am

Circa 1918 after the fire.

http://www.rosewell.org/

Marksman45

Post by Marksman45 » March 23rd, 2005, 2:02 pm

Holy crap, Duck, that *IS* Rosewell House of the College of American Wizard Arts!! That is exactly what it looked like in my dream, and my initial idea was that Conrad accidentally started a fire, not caused an explosion, but I changed it (don't really know why)

THE DEAN: Nonsense, Conrad, if you're capable of that fire last year in Rosewell House, you're capable of this.
CONRAD: ...That wasn't my fault...
DEAN: ...Not to mention when you flooded out Eddings Hall
CONRAD: ...An honest mistake...
DEAN: ...And if my memory serves me, which it never fails to do, you're *still* on probation for that incident in the alchemy lab.
CONRAD: ...oh yes, that... Has Professor Hedgewithe been released from the hospital yet?

Circa 1918 would've been the correct date for Conrad to start the fire also...
This is wonderful, S. Duck! Thank you for this!

mousey1

Post by mousey1 » March 23rd, 2005, 8:57 pm

sober these images loaded quick like a bunny!

You found the knack!

Not that I ever minded waiting!

And I hope you are not losing any quality in your images by doing so, they look fine to me.

Sober Duck

Post by Sober Duck » March 23rd, 2005, 9:05 pm

Good! glad to here I'm making headway.
Yes I do loose a little clearity by reducing but that's alright. I would rather have them load faster.
Yep, the idea of a computer course is sounding better every day. I barely scratch its potential and that's frustrating.
Well, glad you enjoy the pics.

Return to “Photography”