More Roads to Nowhere...

Post your photography.
mnaz

More Roads to Nowhere...

Post by mnaz » March 27th, 2018, 5:09 pm

Roads, and then ... No Roads...
"Falling off the End of Earth ..." (Death Valley, CA)
"Out on the Energized Plane ..." (Adobe Flat, NV)
"A Mysterious Moving Rock ..." (Racetrack Playa, CA)

mtmynd

Re: More Roads to Nowhere...

Post by mtmynd » March 27th, 2018, 9:19 pm

(3) good photos each showing the barrenness of the areas you were in.

The 'moving rock' surprised me showing it's track. I had heard and seen about this always with unsatisfied answers. That in itself makes it more interesting! ;)

Death Valley - seeing the well-traveled road with no others in sight, another interesting play with the imagination! How long has this been travailed and for what reason would repeated journeys be taken to and/or from one place to the other? Perhaps you know..?

I enjoyed, as you can well surmise. ;)

mnaz

Re: More Roads to Nowhere...

Post by mnaz » March 28th, 2018, 2:52 am

Thanks Cec.

The first photo (Death Valley) was a trail out from the Skidoo ghost town (gold mining) toward the huge field of sand dunes somewhere way beyond and below the rim. The Park Service (sort of) "maintains" a few of these trails, but I imagine there were a lot more of them early last century at the peak of DV mining.

The moving rock is indeed curious. Apparently, no one has actually seen any of these rocks move, so it's interesting to hear various theories. The prevailing idea is rain and high winds (since the clay turns very slippery when wet).

The middle photo is a dry lake playa-- a "deprivation medium," or "blank reset button," as I came to think of them. Leaving the grid ...

Return to “Photography”