saw

yet another stretch of the Gunpowder River

Post by saw » January 11th, 2020, 11:50 am

If you do not change your direction
you may end up where you are heading

sasha

Re: yet another stretch of the Gunpowder River

Post by sasha » January 11th, 2020, 5:43 pm

Nice shot! & nice reminder that greener times WILL return. I've been trying for years to get a decent shot of a great blue, but they always seem to take wing just as I get my telephoto mounted. If you want a blurry, out-of-focus or out-of-frame shot, let me know. I'll give you a deal on an autographed copy.
"Falsehood flies, the Truth comes limping after it." - Jonathan Swift, ca. 1710

judih
Site Admin

Post by judih » January 11th, 2020, 11:08 pm

oh, what a gorgeous shot.
i've never been up so close, before

saw

Post by saw » January 12th, 2020, 10:39 am

thanx y'all....because I hike to a lot I wanted something small camera-wise...a pocket camera....but wanted a little zoom as well...the Canon G9X was just the ticket....allows me to sneak up on wildlife at times without startling them...mostly birds and deer thus far, and butterflies and insects, ha
I do have some wild horses pics, which I'll try to find from Assateague Island....and domestic animals like cats and dogs ( candid )....The Heron are spectacular....one of the coolest sights is one coming in for a landing like a Boeing 707.....soaring over the river for a quarter mile....I do have some cool turtle shots...and of course ducks and geese.....and cannot forget dem fungi....they never move !

sasha

Post by sasha » January 13th, 2020, 1:57 pm

A few years ago, I posted a slideshow of wildlife shots to YT - mostly insects and amphibians, but a few larger critters as well. I should redo it to include some of the beasties I've captured since then....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYJkiUisCJQ

saw

Post by saw » January 16th, 2020, 1:16 pm

Excellent sasha !

sasha

Post by sasha » January 16th, 2020, 5:50 pm

Thanks - moments after snapping that pic of the moose calf, Mama stepped out onto the trail, putting a quick end to the photo shoot. Though about 100 ft off, there was no question they knew I was there, because they were both staring right at me. So I just froze until they got bored and wandered off. I was trying to get closer to the bear for a better shot, but I ran out of cover and had to settle for what I got.

I'd like to redo the video with less redundancy; more attention to when to use - and NOT use - pan/zoom effects; and maybe to include text identifying the critters (when I know myself). Only two more medical appointments in the coming days - and one is for the dog - so my time will soon be my own again!

This is a view along my favorite hiking trail along the Millers River, through the Birch Hill Wildlife Management Area in Royalston MA. The story is the native peoples used to hold council fires by that boulder in the background. Maybe yes, maybe no, but it's a spiritual place to be.

IndianRock BHWMA.jpg

saw

Post by saw » January 17th, 2020, 9:45 am

gorgeous spot !
I too visit a place where native Americans held council meetings ( supposedly )
It's a waterfall in Falling Branch ( northern Maryland ) called Kilgore Falls
so nice to sit on a rock there and ponder the universe
Best of luck with remaining doc visits ( man and dog )

sasha

Post by sasha » January 17th, 2020, 1:48 pm

alas, no waterfalls in BHWMA - it's a floodplain (actually upstream of a US Army flood-control dam). But I've hiked all its trails many times, taken lots of pix, smoked a bit of weed, & written some variable-quality haiku there. It's my default - if I can't decide where to go hiking, I usually end up there.

The dam was built in the wake of catastrophic flooding in nearby towns back in 1936 and 1938. Part of Winchendon is still known as Waterville, in dubious homage to the events. I learned only recently that, like the Quabbin valley to the south, the WMA was once inhabited, though much more sparsely. I've kept my eyes open for remnants of that past, but so far have only found the ruins of an old pumping station, and what I think was a Baptist church. There is an active cemetery, named after the village it once served, New Boston.....

There's a mystery I haven't been able to unravel. The trail from which the above photo was taken (River Road) follows the original rail line built sometime in the 1800s - a short distance to the east of the photo, where the tracks once crossed the river, the rail bed ends at a crumbling old abutment, built of field stone. After the flooding, the rail line was moved a mile or so south, where it remains active, and passes right by the dam. But the topographical maps show the ghost of a third line, which merges with the current line right by the dam. This line crossed the river atop a huge abutment, 30-40 feet high, built of precision-cut granite blocks. The construction looks to be early 20th century, so I suppose it could be the remnant of a temporary line built by the Corp to serve construction of the dam - but what a colossal amount of work and materials that bridge must have cost! Surely the Army had access to temporary structures that would have served the purpose just as well. I can find no reference to this line, either at the library or at the visitor's center of the dam itself. But the dead-end remnants - especially that to the west of the river - make fine hiking trails for me and an unleashed dog.......

sasha

Post by sasha » March 29th, 2020, 12:01 pm

sasha wrote:
January 16th, 2020, 5:50 pm

This is a view along my favorite hiking trail along the Millers River, through the Birch Hill Wildlife Management Area in Royalston MA. The story is the native peoples used to hold council fires by that boulder in the background. Maybe yes, maybe no, but it's a spiritual place to be.
and here's that same view as it is now, before the foliage has awakened...

IMG_20200327_20559.jpg

Return to “Photography”