Photo display comes together

Post your photography.
stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » July 15th, 2005, 8:27 pm

The top picture looking out over the bowl I started to get sea sick :)

Buzzard's Point Marina, Washington DC almost right at the point where the Anacostia and the Potomac come together, a long sail down to the mouth of the Potomac, started out in my little lightning sloop, made it about half way journey interupted by stepping on broken beer bottle.

Trying to figure what kind of boat that is. I see a mast but no boom, looks like wood rails. Just looks beautiful, thanks again or did I already say that.

Sober Duck

Post by Sober Duck » July 15th, 2005, 10:45 pm

Stilltrucking, She's the Iva W., a 1929 Chesapeake Bay Buy Boat. She has had a face lift and now cruises warmer waters.
Her D-13000 Cat and a forty inch prop pushes her along at 6 knots only turning at 600 rpm's. She just tugs along.

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » July 16th, 2005, 12:37 am

thank you for taking me home again

maryland virginia shooting wars over skipjacks using wind to dredge and virginia waterman using power, and the tongers, does anyone still use tongs anymore, who is man enough for that these days. The eastern shore of maryland, like Camelot to me, the people there not that crazy about Baltomorons. They look to Philly as their town.

Indigenous population must be more incestuous then the Hapsburgs I think there only three surnames there, seems like all the skipjacks were named Rosie B Parks, or Rosie T Parks or …

you just brought so many pleasant memmories from the land of pleasant living :)

jimboloco

Post by jimboloco » July 16th, 2005, 12:00 pm

Nice going, Mr Duck,I dig your style, bro.
[color=darkcyan]i'm on a survival mission
yo ho ho an a bottle of rum om[/color]

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » July 17th, 2005, 4:36 pm

Buy boats, would buy the shell fish out on the bay so skipjacks could keep dredging and the tongers keep tonging. They did not have to come in and dock to unoad their haul... Skipjacks are (or were been a long time since I been home) the last fleet of working sailboats. Maryland Fishery department limits motor dredging. Virginia did not, there were some tense moments between the waterman. Eastern shore not a bunch incestous idiots. But there must be a lot of second and third cousin marriages. Yeah you got tons of style, I always dug that picture of you in the high hat and the clown make up. Reminded me of one of Kesey's pranksters.
Her D-13000 Cat and a forty inch prop pushes her along at 6 knots only turning at 600 rpm's. She just tugs along.
Unbelievable. I have been trucks that will lope along 1300 RPM, such a soothing diesel hearted big mamma. After a long day she would start to sound like that Aum thingy. The trawler I worked on had a big Cat too. 72 foot steel, looked so big tied up at the dock in Ilwaco, yet so tiny out on the ocean.

rocking on the water
listening to a throbbing diesel heart.
life is beautiful

Sober Duck

Post by Sober Duck » July 17th, 2005, 9:55 pm

Lonely sailor enjoying a soda.
There's that green hat again.
Captian Craig, my youngest. He was so young he doesn't remember sailing the boat.

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » July 17th, 2005, 11:00 pm

Did not realize the hat was green. I think it was a black and white picture.

I think maybe the thing I miss most about sailing is the sound. I can remember the sound of the water, the lufting of sails, halyards slapping against the mast. I had a main sheet part in a storm, I was around the Lady Bird Johnson Fountain in the Potomac, trying to make it back to Buzzard's Point in a 13 foot Penguin. The storm came up the river so fast I could not get back in time. A fresh breeze blowing, I might have made it if not for the rotten main sheet. Capsized, the boom went down in the water and it was all over. Harbor Police had to pull me out. My first boat, no idea what I was doing. Accidental Jibes all the time. . This was back in the sixties when that river was dirtier than it is now. I wrote a letter thanking him. I thought it would look in his file.

Vicarious thrills thanks. still not found power cord to scanner.

. I got Joshua Slocom's book on an audio tape. I listen to it a lot. I used to have a book on celestial navagation huge thing about 1700 pages. Finally gave it to a guy in suburban Maryland who was building a thirty foot catamaran, planing on sailing across the Atlantic in it.
Last edited by stilltrucking on July 17th, 2005, 11:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sober Duck

Post by Sober Duck » July 17th, 2005, 11:05 pm

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » July 17th, 2005, 11:18 pm

That was beautiful thanks.

When I was on a long trip home from Astoria Oregon to Nashville TN I woke up one night as the bus was going through Kansas. I looked out the window and saw ocean waves in the moonlight. As I slowly came fully awake I realized that it was a wheat field with the breeze rippling the amber waves of grain.
I spent twenty years as a shiftless sailor on a concrete sea. My body attuned to eighteen wheels.

Captain Craig :) How old is he in that picture? I have not cried in twenty years, I suppose it was a life changing event. The day I laid Alamo Rose in her grave. But when I was a kid newsreels of the Americans marching off to the slaughter in World War One, brought tears to my eyes. Sailing was a happiness for me but I can't say it changed my life. I just loved it. Writting is about as happy as I get these days.
Last edited by stilltrucking on July 18th, 2005, 3:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » July 17th, 2005, 11:31 pm

Love the ships!

I used to live on Cape Cod.... I miss the ships and the boat people.

Would make nice banners, too. ;) If you want...

Thanks for sharing, Ducky!

:)

Sober Duck

Post by Sober Duck » July 18th, 2005, 10:16 am

Doreen, use anything you want for banners you don't need my permission. I feel privalaged to have you use my photos.
Besides, I get a kick out of it.
Use away, use away.

Sober Duck

Me Ship

Post by Sober Duck » July 18th, 2005, 10:54 am

Rrrr! Me ship
She Sails without me
Leavin me high and dry
Land-locked on the shore that holds me
Whilst I hopelessly watches her sail away.

Dave The Dov

Post by Dave The Dov » July 18th, 2005, 10:56 am

What happen to the boat???? Do you still have it????
Last edited by Dave The Dov on March 15th, 2009, 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Arcadia

Post by Arcadia » July 18th, 2005, 11:00 am

what a beautiful thing ships or boats are...I can´t feel the same for planes, buses or cars. Evidentemente I´m not a sailor, I can´t think about them as "she", for me are just amazing "it". Last week I was in a 1978 rompehielos that belongs to the navy and it has male name. The government bought it to Finland in 1979.

Sober Duck

Post by Sober Duck » July 18th, 2005, 12:11 pm

Rrrr, Dave. She's not my boat.
I just met her in a passage.
This be my boat.
I road her all the way in until she sat down in the middle of the road a hundred yards from the shore.
What a wave.

Return to “Photography”