Something weird happened today.

Post your photography.
Sober Duck

Something weird happened today.

Post by Sober Duck » August 3rd, 2005, 6:10 pm

I veered off my daily route today when a sail boat captured my eye. The young man up the mast made it even more interesting.
The Virginia is her name and I fell in love.
I managed to get aboard for an interview and some photos. That's when the goose bumps began.
She is a brand new replica of a 1917 schooner. Been wet for two months.
Now for the weird stuff. When I downloaded this next photo and it came up on my screen I lost it, emotionally. When I saw what I had captured it just blew me away. I don't know why? That's the weird stuff. It's not a sad pic it is just an inanamate object with a scenic background.
I just don't know??? Damn, I need to put my boat over!!!

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » August 4th, 2005, 2:35 am

gaff rigged schooner? how long do think she is. how old? Never mind I will check it out myself. Thank you for being a wandering duck. Reminds of a bit about Zen navigation from a Douglas Adams novel 'The Long Dark Tea Time Of The Soul' "I may not always wind up where I intended to go, but sometimes I wind up where I needed to be." (paraphrase from memory)

jimboloco

Post by jimboloco » August 4th, 2005, 10:25 am

Really enjoy your scenic world, from tempests to teapots.
[color=darkcyan]i'm on a survival mission
yo ho ho an a bottle of rum om[/color]

mousey1

Post by mousey1 » August 4th, 2005, 11:40 am

A fine vessel!

"Sea Fever" by John Masefield

I must down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and sky,
And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by,
And the wheel's kick and the wind's song and white sail's shaking,
And a grey mist on the sea's face, and a grey dawn breaking.

I must down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.

I must down to the seas again, to the vagrant gypsy life,
To the gull's way and the whale's way where the wind's like a whetted knife;
And all I ask is a merry yarn from a laughing fellow-rover
And quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the long trick's over.
I used to walk with my head in the clouds but I kept getting struck by lightning!
Now my head twitches and I drool alot. Anonymouse

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v475/mousey1/shhhhhh.gif[/img]

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » August 4th, 2005, 12:26 pm

I could easily smell the salted sea.

Nice pics.

Sober Duck

Post by Sober Duck » August 9th, 2005, 11:52 pm

Pride Of Virginia Visit’s the York River
By
Richard Moylan Jr.
It never fails! Every time I drive over the Coleman Bridge something out in the York River catches my eye. Today it was of course, another boat. A ship to be more exact, a tall ship. The two-masted gaff topsail schooner Virginia, a replica of the 1917 pilot schooner Virginia was moored at the new Yorktown Waterfront dock. Recently launched from her home port of Norfolk Virginia The Virginia was up in The York training high school students from Texas. Her mission is just that. She is a training and teaching vessel extending hands on sail training for students, sailors and anyone interested in marine science and maritime history.
Virginia is the first all wooden sailing schooner to be constructed since the early teens. She is 121 feet long, draws 12 foot of water and has 6538 square feet of sail. Sparred she is 126 feet long and has a beam of 23 feet. The all wooden boat weighs in at 97 tons and is powered by two twin diesels. The schooner was replicated as exact as the U.S. Coast Guard would allow her to be with a few updated regulations, some modern plumbing and of course the diesels. Her masts stand 112 feet above water level and she is quite a sight under sail.
Virginia carries a crew of eight but can accommodate a crew of twelve plus twelve passengers. To my surprise the crew is all volunteer according to First Mate Dana Mancinelli a former HASMAT tech. who heard of the Virginia project a few years back. She aggressively pursued a position on board the majestic vessel. Her Captain, Nicholas Alley also a volunteer has been sailing tall ships and tugs for several years now and enjoys his new commission.
Although the Virginia has only been in the water since June 2005 she is already cloaked in mystery. Her name sake, the original Virginia has disappeared without a trace. She can be traced back to the late forties when she was sold to Mr. William H. Hoeffer of New York. He owned her until 1947. No one has been able to find any records of her where a bouts. The original Virginia was originally owned by The Virginia Pilot Association.
Although Virginia is a in the process of training at this time and not available for the public she will be available for charters and functions all around the Chesapeake Bay soon and she can and will sail the waters of the world. Over night trips are on her schedule but they are selling out quickly. I believe Virginia will be back in Yorktown on Friday the 12th. She is a wonderful sight moored at the new dock of Yorktown and I do recommend visiting her while she’s there. She is a one of a kind vessel.
Anyone interested in Virginia or has information on the original Virginia can contact her office at (757)627-7400 or you ca visit her web site at www.schoonervirginia.org.

Arcadia

Post by Arcadia » August 11th, 2005, 1:02 pm

beautiful velero!
I specially like the third photo.

Return to “Photography”