Post your photography.
panta rhei

Post by panta rhei » October 5th, 2005, 5:52 am

i'll have to look for a picture of me
please do.
it's always a delight to see you.

jimboloco

Post by jimboloco » October 5th, 2005, 5:57 am

Woah Nellie! What I needed to wake up. Smiles from here to there. Soitenly delightful.
[color=darkcyan]i'm on a survival mission
yo ho ho an a bottle of rum om[/color]

Zlatko Waterman

Post by Zlatko Waterman » October 5th, 2005, 9:18 am

Dear Panta:

One of the wonderful things about the Internet is that it brings so many cultures and countries together.

I sometimes forget, and my friends remind me, that my generation, their fantasy villains and heroes, and particularly their Western Cowboy heroes, are not universal fantasies. I was reminded of this when a friend of mine, born in England, raised in New Zealand and Israel, and later a colleague of mine at an American college, was puzzled by a film I lent him. The film was "Rustlers' Rhapsody", a 1985 parody of old western movies starring Tom Berenger. Knowing all the cliches well from my Fifties boyhood, I found the film hilarious. My friend was completely puzzled and bored.

George Francis ( Gabby) Hayes is another case in point. An actor who was typecast as the Western "sidekick" or factotum and general foil ( the Sancho to the Don Quixote) of the hero, such as Roy Rogers (Leonard Slye) or Hopalong Cassidy ( William Boyd).:

http://www.hopalong.com/home.asp

George Hayes was, in my little-boy American memory, a pervasive presence in my western hero films. His somewhat jerky and histrionic style, in addition to the turned-back front brim of his cowboy/prospector hat, made him instantly recognizable, as did his "whiskers", which were sometimes joked about. The "Gabby" nickname probably came from his rapid-fire hilarious patter, often a sub-text or ironic commentary on the main action.

Pat Butram was another famous sidekick, first for Gene Autry, and later for Roy Rogers, replacing Gabby Hayes:

http://www.biglittlebooks.com/royrogers.html

George Hayes was a featured player, appearing right next to Roy on movie posters ( see the web site below), and even generating his own comic book, detailing his adventures.

Never heroic except ironically, Gabby was permitted to be "colorful" and human in a way the hero never was. Gabby never ended up with the girl, but he was allowed to approve the hero's choice on occasion:

"She's MIGHTY pretty!"

( George Hayes/ Saddle pals site):

http://www.surfnetinc.com/chuck/pals-gh.htm

Zlatko

Anonymous-one

Post by Anonymous-one » October 5th, 2005, 6:18 pm

Hugs to everybody.
Pierre
:D

mnaz

Post by mnaz » October 5th, 2005, 9:02 pm

On the playa....

Driving to Vegas.... (yes, I did have a drop-top, once)

yeah, something like that.

Arcadia

Post by Arcadia » October 5th, 2005, 10:45 pm

judih: I´m waiting for your photo!

panta: amazing bucles!! your are shiny in that photo!

jimbo: licor de anís!! wonderful!! who has a bottle now?

mnaz: cool photos! yeah, it´s good to have protection from the sun!

Return to “Photography”