Geranium Blossom

Post your photography.
nannabug

Geranium Blossom

Post by nannabug » October 6th, 2005, 4:14 pm

Took this one today during my lunch break. Slight digital manipulation. Had to bring them inside on my sun porch as we had a blizzard yesterday and freezing temps last night. Wonder how long I'll be able to keep it alive?

Sober Duck

Post by Sober Duck » October 6th, 2005, 4:56 pm

Wonderful flowers. Snow hey? I'm jealous. We don't get near enough.
Pond Lillies in June.

nannabug

Post by nannabug » October 7th, 2005, 1:05 am

Beautiful lilies, Sober Duck. Not a flower I get to see very often, that's for sure.
Yes, snow! We usually have first snow in September but it held off until October this year and hit us with a double whammy. Power lines were downed and electricity was out over quite an extended area. Winds were gusting up to 40 mph and many trees were downed or damaged.

Sober Duck

Post by Sober Duck » October 7th, 2005, 7:06 am

Here's one you probably haven't seen.
Allium Ampeloprasum
By
Richard Moylan Jr.
Just what is Allium Ampeloprasum you ask? Well I thought they were flowers from outer space. With their unique purple color and perfectly round buds they seem foreign to our world. But foreign is just what they are.
Just across the river on the banks of the York along Colonial Parkway grows the Yorktown Onion as it is more commonly known. These onions are also known as wild onions, giant wild garlic and wild leeks. It is speculated that the onions came here during colonial days from the old country mixed in bags of grain. I guess livestock didn’t care for onion seed and left it lay on the ground. The most interesting thing about the Yorktown Onion is it only grows in Yorktown and no where else in the Untied States.
The plants appearance is eye catching when the onion field is in full bloom usually in mid spring. Hundreds of perfectly round medium purple flowers sway side by side two to three feet above the ground with a strong tall stalk supporting the round buds. While in bloom the landscape transforms into something from a Star Trek episode where the plants might shoot intoxicating spores at Spock.
There is one other unique and important fact about the Yorktown Onion. According to Section 17-35, Subsection B of the York County Code, “Gathering or collecting of the Yorktown Onion shall be prohibited”. And that fact is not posted around the onions.

Sober Duck

Post by Sober Duck » October 7th, 2005, 7:20 am

Here is a southern jem.
Magnolia

Wisteria

African Violets

Cactus with cigarettie butt.

And of course the popular sunflower.

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » October 7th, 2005, 10:37 am

Great shots you guys have posted! I have been on an enjoyable "bloom shoot" since spring myself... some contributions -

<center>my potted cactus in spring bloom</center>

<center>Graham Thomas Rose</center>

<center>Field of Spring Poppies</center>

Return to “Photography”