White Sands, New Mexico

Post your photography.
mnaz

White Sands, New Mexico

Post by mnaz » October 6th, 2005, 6:46 pm

(for K & D).....

K&D

Post by K&D » October 6th, 2005, 8:10 pm

oh wow, i really want to get the chance to visit new mexico...everyones like how's new mexico and i'm like i don't know i'm studying and staying on campus...now i have a flat tire and i don't have that much money for gas.
Blah!

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » October 7th, 2005, 10:25 am

Another shot from White Sands -

jimboloco

Post by jimboloco » October 11th, 2005, 1:48 pm

n oh yeah, I compullsively will once again polish these diamonds in the rough into the jewels they really are, waiting to be released.
another shot from white sands -
oh, mr magoo, you've did it agin :o
¡muchas gracias!
(for k & d).....
oh i am sure you are absolutely entranced by your environz, locale, ma'am, and oy have a suggestion for you, the artist-writer, natalie goldberg, not boig, not burger, she is an enabler for expressiveness, writing down th bonez, and living color. she hangs out in your borough, your urbane colloquial enrichedbythevistasandclimate country. a part-time meditater as well
[color=darkcyan]i'm on a survival mission
yo ho ho an a bottle of rum om[/color]

mnaz

Post by mnaz » October 11th, 2005, 2:33 pm

jimbo.... I'm not sure what you're doing with the pics (I missed that info., I'm sure), but I like it.... darker and sharper.... Thanks.

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » October 11th, 2005, 3:28 pm

Looks good, Jimbo... or should I say 'better"...?

Thanks!

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » October 11th, 2005, 3:44 pm

I love the original photos and jimbo's enhancements, too!

Very nice, both of you!

Hey, today has been a little bit like a different type of image jam.... maybe we should do this some time.... do an image jam where people download other people's images and play with them using digital tools to turn them into artwork or create a different look with them and add their versions to the thread.

Whaddya think?

mnaz

Post by mnaz » October 11th, 2005, 4:09 pm

Doreen, I like that idea. I think it has great potential, given the creativity of this bunch. I don't really have the image enhancement software.... I'm long on photos and short on technology. But I still like the idea....

Zlatko Waterman

Post by Zlatko Waterman » October 11th, 2005, 6:27 pm

With affection and gratitude for all the great travel writing you've given us.

From a non-travelling cartoonist . . .

Zlatko

jimboloco

Post by jimboloco » October 11th, 2005, 6:40 pm

You all know that this is all very liberating. I mean, I know about limits, like Judih knowz, "Yesh Gvul," man, plus I indeed belabored the possibubility that I had infranchized upon other pooblez territories, the tories waz a comink, but the graciousness prevailed.

la victoria
Last edited by jimboloco on October 12th, 2005, 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

mnaz

Post by mnaz » October 12th, 2005, 6:59 am

Zlatko....

That is truly amazing.

You read my mind. That is pretty much how it happened..... that first trip to Vegas..... I remember that photo. I remember making an internal vow to come back. I remember that hat....

Great post!

jimboloco

Post by jimboloco » October 12th, 2005, 8:32 am

in·ex·o·ra·ble

(audio) Pronunciation: i-'neks-r&-b&l

Function: adjective

Etymology: Latin inexorabilis, from in- + exorabilis pliant, from exorare to prevail upon, from ex- + orare to speak -- more at ORATION
: not to be persuaded or moved by entreaty : RELENTLESS

Really nice illustration of the desert rat himself. The dude abides.
The swift shaded lines all parallel remind me of the old European illustrators and printmakers, and the windswept moustache, hearty details in the portrait, yet the rest is a minimalist yet informative set of lines, and the addition of the gray tone, rich in it's subtle hue of yellow, inexorably emanating throughout, the yellow in the lightning is pervasive and relentless, the red is actually a darker value and serves as border and enhancemer of the yellow. Tell it like it is.

Zlatko Waterman

Post by Zlatko Waterman » October 12th, 2005, 9:22 am

Jim:

I've never felt so appreciated. Thank you.

I must say, this is a salubrious antidote to the treatment I got from the last pizza meeting. You recall that I gather with a group of "pro" cartoonists, movie board artists, writers and other denizens of Hollywood on the first Wednesday of each month in Burbank.

I took a portfolio full of the paintings and drawings I've recently posted here on StudioEight. Not a peep out of anyone, save my friend Mike.

Their indifference is something I've grown used to, however. They are fixed on commercial gain, on commissions, who you know and what you can win at it. The casual presence of a Hollywood director ( there was a young one there-- Brian, a forty-ish very nice guy who just cut a deal with USA network for an eight-film contract after making his third feature-- he had the new DVD with him . . .) commands rapt attention.

Brian was a nice guy, humble and knew how to listen. I have met other directors like him, including the great Jack Arnold, about whom I wrote articles and did an interview in 1972, all published in France and Italy.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000791/

Mr. Arnold was gracious and knew how to listen to others. Some of the "pros" at the pizza palace don't.

My good friend Mike invited me there, and I have become a regular, but I will need some exchange with the denizens before I will stay:

(Mike's website)

http://www.vozart.com/

(Mike's "Lambiek" -- the world standard--"Comiclopedia entry--)

http://www.lambiek.net/vosburg_mike.htm

It's dismaying, at times, to realize the extent that artists don't talk to each other. I suppose, being a writer in addition gives me some advantage. But just acknowledging someone else's work ( as I do theirs) is common courtesy, even if I'm not winning contracts and working for the gods of Hollywood.

( grumble, grumble . . . am I becoming a curmudgeonly old man? Answer: Yes. But I was a curmudgeonly YOUNG man too . . .)

mnaz: I'm so pleased you didn't take my cartoon wrong. I meant it as an homage. I was haunted, however, by the possibility you might take it ironically-- or as an effort at satire-- the damned Internet is such a one-dimensional medium.

I am a dedicated fan of your travel ( and any other) pieces.

Thanks to all,

Zlatko

jimboloco

Post by jimboloco » October 12th, 2005, 9:35 am

Well I took the illustration of mnazzz as an homage, Z-man, instead of waiting to be discovered i see that you ane inexorably emanating a salubrious presence at the pizza parlor. Beware the old adage, cast your pearls before swine and you will wallow in the mire.

as i said, i gotta try a portrait like that of somebody recognizeable.
did the phrase come from yourself or is is h.s. thompson?

So you are friends with this other illustrator? you go have pizza monthly in Burbank and get to schmooze with the elite.
Last edited by jimboloco on October 12th, 2005, 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zlatko Waterman

Post by Zlatko Waterman » October 12th, 2005, 9:38 am

Right, Jim!

Those pigs are heavy lifting!

I saw some pearls in the pizza and cast my swine at them.

I knew I was doing something wrong . . .

To answer:

It's my phrase, but I think it was bent through the prism of some Marvel comics writer, like Stan Lee . . .

That's what you get for hanging out with the pizza guys.

Mike is working on some "She-Hulk" pages-- he was invited to do them for a commemorative issue.

( link to a MV page from 20 years ago-- "She-Hulk" ( Marvel) )

http://fanfare-se.com/GalleryPiece.asp? ... &From=Room

--Z

Return to “Photography”