Post your photography.
Sober Duck

Pier Preasure

Post by Sober Duck » November 5th, 2005, 10:49 am

Mother nature taketh away.
Man puteth back.

whimsicaldeb

Post by whimsicaldeb » November 5th, 2005, 10:54 am

I like the first photo best, I like the perfection in the natural "uncivilized" side of life.

Sober Duck

Post by Sober Duck » November 5th, 2005, 11:12 am

My last night on Harrison’s
Fishing Pier.
By
Richard Moylan Jr.
I had found myself between dwellings as do a lot of people in Ocean View. I contemplated staying up in the sand hills or trying to find an unlocked laundry room but now a days they’re all locked. Man times have changed. There was a hurricane on its way and the more I thought about the sand hills the less I liked the idea. Then it hit me, I could jump the barricade at Harrison’s Fishing Pier and have shelter at the bait house. So now I have a plan. I would take my Five dollar bill to the 7-11 and get me two bottles of wine and head over to the pier.
When I got to the pier, the bay sure was churning and I thought this will be exciting. I love a good adventure. I managed to get over the barbed wire without breaking any of my wine bottles or requiring any stitches. As I looked around the wind began to howl through the railings and the two power lines. It was almost deafining. I walked over to the rest rooms and was quite surprised that they were unlocked. I thought, man I’m in tall cotton now. I found a small metal trash can and plenty of trash to make a fire with so I set up house in the ladies room only because I had never been in one, what the hell.
I remained in the ladies room for about two hours and drank one of my bottles of wine and ate the packages of Twinkies I shoplifted while buying the wine. I decided to go outside and see what the storm was doing. I couldn’t believe my eyes when I saw the water level just inches from the pier. In all my life I never saw the water that high. The wind was blowing hard enough to pop some of the rails off the pier. I figures it best to go back inside and wait out the storm. As I worked on the second bottle of rot-gut I didn’t notice the water coming up through the floor boards. I did notice my ankles were getting extremely cold. When I looked down, I found about six inches of water in the rest room. I jumped up and opened the door. The pressure on the door blew it open knocking me to the floor. Just about the time I stood back up and the pier began to shake. I fell back down and quickly tried once again to get up but now it felt as if I were aboard a boat in rough seas. What the hell is going on? The noises I am hearing are unfamiliar. The cracking and popping made me wonder if I were going to die. All of a sudden I felt movement as if I were under way. To scared to let go of the commode I visualized sinking to a watery grave in a ladies room. I managed to make it to the door and forced the door open enough to look outwards. I was floating and being tossed over the turbulent bay. I couldn’t see where I was. I couldn’t see shore or anything for that fact.
As evening fell the storm seemed to become more intense and by now I figure I was way up the bay. I kept praying that my vessel, this ladies room would stay together and afloat. Now that darkness has fallen There is no reason to even look outside, nothing to see. All of a sudden a storm surge hit my floating throne and threw me against the wall knocking me out cold. What happened next will always be a mystery. I woke up the next morning surprised to be alive and hesitated to open the door. Worrying to see if I were still earth bound I reluctantly opened the door and couldn’t believe my eyes. My floating head had come to rest on the rocks at Fort Wool. I was alive! Now how was I to get back to shore. I didn’t have a phone or a flare. I managed to get the attention of a Hampton Roads Bridge tunnel guard and he called for assistance. Within hours a small Coast Guard craft came and removed me from my vessel that kept me alive through one of the most violent storms of a life time.
I may have learned a few important lessons through my adventure. Next time buy three bottles of wine and next time, pick the sand hills.

whimsicaldeb

Post by whimsicaldeb » November 5th, 2005, 1:31 pm

EMS Rule No. 20: Heaven protects Fools and Drunks.

ain't it the truth ...
:lol:

~great story~

Sober Duck

Post by Sober Duck » November 5th, 2005, 1:32 pm

Fools and Drunks, man I got it made.

whimsicaldeb

Post by whimsicaldeb » November 5th, 2005, 1:33 pm

I can't stop laughing ...

whimsicaldeb

Post by whimsicaldeb » November 5th, 2005, 1:34 pm

you're a sweetie