Photographer Chronicles Martin Luther King Murals

Art news & posts that can't be categorized.
tinkerjack

Post by tinkerjack » January 21st, 2008, 11:59 am

Veiw more murals here

I think I will take the day off in his honor.
Celebrate the birth of a great american
free rice

I used to be smart

tinkerjack

Post by tinkerjack » January 21st, 2008, 12:56 pm

Historians Fear MLK's Legacy Being Lost
By DEEPTI HAJELA
The Associated Press
Monday, January 21, 2008; 9:23 AM

NEW YORK -- Nearly 40 years after the assassination of the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr., some say his legacy is being frozen in a moment in time that ignores the full complexity of the man and his message.

"Everyone knows _ even the smallest kid knows about Martin Luther King _ can say his most famous moment was that 'I have a dream' speech," said Henry Louis Taylor Jr., professor of urban and regional planning at the University of Buffalo. "No one can go further than one sentence. All we know is that this guy had a dream. We don't know what that dream was."

King was working on anti-poverty and anti-war issues at the time of his death. He had spoken out against the Vietnam War and was in Memphis when he was killed in April 1968 in support of striking sanitation workers.

King had come a long way from the crowds who cheered him at the 1963 March on Washington, when he was introduced as "the moral leader of our nation" _ and when he pronounced "I have a dream" on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial.

By taking on issues outside segregation, he had lost the support of many newspapers and magazines, and his relationship with the White House had suffered, said Harvard Sitkoff, a professor of history at the University of New Hampshire who has written a recently published book on King.

"He was considered by many to be a pariah," Sitkoff said.

But he took on issues of poverty and militarism because he considered them vital "to make equality something real and not just racial brotherhood but equality in fact," Sitkoff said.

Scholarly study of King hasn't translated into the popular perception of him and the civil rights movement, said Richard Greenwald, professor of history at Drew University.

"We're living increasingly in a culture of top 10 lists, of celebrity biopics which simplify the past as entertainment or mythology," he said. "We lose a view on what real leadership is by compressing him down to one window."

That does a disservice to both King and society, said Melissa Harris-Lacewell, professor of politics and African-American studies at Princeton University.

By freezing him at that point, by putting him on a pedestal of perfection that doesn't acknowledge his complex views, "it makes it impossible both for us to find new leaders and for us to aspire to leadership," Harris-Lacewell said.

She believes it's important for Americans in 2008 to remember how disliked King was before his death in April 1968.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... id=topnews
free rice

I used to be smart

tinkerjack

Post by tinkerjack » January 21st, 2008, 4:23 pm

I thought he blew it when he started speaking out against the war in 1968. I was a patriot, my country right or wrong, all I knew was what I read in the newspapers and saw on TV. I was true blue red white and blue.
Everything I knew was wrong.
Took me years to realize I was born to follow.

So now all the political pundits are saying it is the ecconomy stupid, but it ain't the ecconomy. NO
It is the fucking war stupid.
But the war is hardly an issue
full lunch pails take precedence

God is the pooh bear
jews are his chosen people
angels watch over me
heaven is up above
hell is beneath
I am sure of it
Jesus christ is lord
and I will kill any mother fucker who says different

I am the only hell my mama ever raised
Somebody comfort her
I am no comfort
I am just a problem when I am stoned

A jew by accident of birth
a southern jew by grace of god
http://www.uga.edu/gm/304/FeatOney.html

This country has been good to me
free rice

I used to be smart

jimboloco

Post by jimboloco » January 21st, 2008, 8:40 pm

murAls do capture the sentiment

ya i remember opening up the door to our xcollege apt
and seeing the newspaper with the headline
KING ASSASSINATED
i said an audilbe "shit"
my black classmates in the AFROTC program wore black armbands

i heard his famous last speech in memphis the day before he was shot
i wonder if he felt that is was inevitable and he just said
to hell with it
when he stepped out onto that balcony

i saw a forensics show last month
john kennedy was shot first from behind, this per the forensics evidence
the bullet went in at his c-spine and came out slightly higher above his sternum mid front neck

then i saw the film clip
he got shot fell forward, his wife held him in her arms
then his brain exploded bright red bloom
the second shot was oswald's
the first came from behind the car and level with it

1960's
i still remember sitting on the runway at loc ninh
abandoned artillery base
viet ong on the classified radio frequency
played a wooden flute
then a voice, "lot luck!"
i wanted to say lot luck uncle ho
but shit i ain't no traitor

the heart of the people written on walls

my step-grandson knows about it, a bit

yeah
mlk shoulda survived
it sucks
rip

the war on poverty became a war on the poor vietnamese
for profits o course
[color=darkcyan]i'm on a survival mission
yo ho ho an a bottle of rum om[/color]

tinkerjack

Post by tinkerjack » January 23rd, 2008, 1:00 am

Over two thousnad books written about JFK's assasination, but who cares about MLK
The King family said it was "deeply saddened" by Ray's death. "This is a tragedy not only for Mr. Ray, but also for the entire nation," the family said in a statement.
"America will never have the benefit of Mr. Ray's trial, which would have produced new revelations about the assassination of Martin Luther King Jr. as well as establish the facts concerning Mr. Ray's innocence," the statement said.
Interesting show about Oswald on PBS last week. I like this bit from Norman Mailer.
Norman Mailer, Novelist: The real shock was philosophical, as if God had removed his sanction from America. Which to me is a most basic notion, because to this day a majority of Americans feel that America is the God approved nation. It's the one that God loves the most. After that assassination there was a feeling that there was something under everything. That the U.S. might not go on forever. The country was washed in the same kind of pain and confusion and consternation that followed 9/11
I thought this bit was interesting too.
Robert Dallek, Historian: Johnson to the end of his life, I'm convinced, believed that there was some kind of conspiracy. He never fully trusted the Warren Commission's conclusion that the only killer was Lee Harvey Oswald. But Johnson was a man with powerful paranoid impulses and thoughts. At first, he thought it was the South Vietnamese who were retaliating for the coup detach that toppled the Diem government and the killing of Ngo Dinh Diem in Saigon, which happened roughly three weeks before Kennedy was killed. Indeed, it was a coup d'etat sanctioned by Washington so there was instant suspicion in Lyndon Johnson's mind. Now over time, Johnson moved away from that, continued to believe there was a conspiracy, but now believed it came out of Cuba, 'cause he learned that there had been assassination plots in CIA circles to take out Castro. Johnson would say they were thinking of assassinating Castro, but he got to Kennedy first. So, he needs to show the Soviets, the Chinese Communists, the Cuban Communists that he's tough. And the one place he sees where he can do this most directly, most efficiently is in Vietnam
Oswald's Ghost

Meanwhile Ron Paul's news letter called Martin Luther King Jr a homosexual pedophile. Paul is very sorry and takes moral responsability for the statement although he says he had nothing to do with it. But it makes me wonder about his supporters.
free rice

I used to be smart

jimboloco

Post by jimboloco » February 2nd, 2008, 7:08 pm

strange
Oswald's Russian widow
she was acquainted with a local Quaker lady, back then,
the lady was a working phd in psychology
had something to do with caring for Ozzwaldo's poor widow
I guess she freaked,
plus the Quaker lady was being followed by the FBI
but she fared well, never worked a bit as long as I knew her,
was involved with Pro-Nica

the widow stayed here in AmericA

the Viet Cong played a wooden flute
wished me
"lot luck"

johnson took his paranoia to the grave
too bad he didn't have a clue

i saw a documentary a couple of months ago on HDTV
s forensics expert testified that the first shot that hit jfk was different from the official report that claims he was hit from the front thru the sternum and out the back of his neck, then was hit from same direction thru the cranium,

the forensics expert showed jfk's actual shirt, the bullethole entry was from the back, a clean hole, he showed the diagrahm of how the bullet entered his c-spine, angled slightly upwards, exited out thru his upper sternum

then we saw a film of the shooting
jfk was initialy hit from behind, he fell forward (was sitting on the right side) jackie caught him, held him up on her shoulder, then he was clearly hit from the front as his whole head exploded in a red bloody flame towards the rear, and jackie crawled forward.

he was shot from the rear at street level, first.
[color=darkcyan]i'm on a survival mission
yo ho ho an a bottle of rum om[/color]

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » February 3rd, 2008, 5:33 am

Rest in peace Saint Martin
Thank you for all did

Return to “Artstalk”