Exhibit Proposal

Art news & posts that can't be categorized.
Artguy

Exhibit Proposal

Post by Artguy » October 3rd, 2008, 9:18 am

SUBMISSION - KURT ROSTEK

I remember as an art student many years ago the Art Gallery Of Ontario was a place I frequently visited, taking in each room with solitary rumination. Every room was carefully curated to vigilant effect. There was a cavernous room that would house perhaps 5 or 6 large canvases by Jack Bush, Molinari et al. The rooms' size bringing these pieces down to an almost human scale, yet I still felt the isolation of the modern world doing it's work on my psyche. I would always question where to stand to see each of them or, some of them, but to see all of them was out of the question. It just wasn't meant to be. There was one room though that always excited me. Not so much for the individual pieces, although I still have a fondness for a select few of them, amongst them works by Paul Kane and Cornelius Krieghoff. It was the room it's self that drew me there and often kept me there for more than just a glance. The walls were a deep blood red, which was at times hard to tell as there was mere inches between each piece on the wall. This was a salon.
My proposal is to turn gallery 1313 into an historic salon with the modern context of 100 of my paintings , in a multitude of formats and styles. The pieces would cover a period of 15 years of work. Not to suggest that they would be hung in any linear manner suggesting the chronological progression of the work, but rather in a manner that would suggest the workings of an urban mind in the second millennia, over stimulated, over communicated over stressed, but with the orderly appearance of a circuit board, with each fundamental part joined by a fine tenuous wire.
Travelling through and around each piece gives one the feeling of traversing roads in an urban environment. Broken grids giving the viewer the options of a maze, which way next? How do I travel through this collection of images? How is the Artists' life reflected on these walls? Only a few of the questions that may challenge the viewer.
My own challenge in this projects lies in the editorial , in laying out each wall so that the linear is avoided and yet maintaining a cohesive exploration of my path as an artist.
I have enclosed with this proposal 2 images of what a typical layout of a wall may look like. There are in all 42 paintings in these 2 images. Should you wish to see more of what will be included please visit the gallery of my web site, www.kurtscanadianart.com . Thank you.

SmileGRL

Post by SmileGRL » October 3rd, 2008, 4:23 pm

wow! this is very impressive...both the collection of work and the dream. well done.

jimboloco

Post by jimboloco » October 4th, 2008, 7:53 pm

been blessed to see your works oer the past several years
and i find this mix of works interesting because it unfolds onto your several threads of interest, shows how you donot limit yoursef with your visual explorations, but have some sense of continuity

good luck with your exhibit
Toronto is a great city
sanity north of th border
[color=darkcyan]i'm on a survival mission
yo ho ho an a bottle of rum om[/color]

Arcadia

Post by Arcadia » October 28th, 2008, 1:26 pm

it´s still a great clear proposal and you´re are still a great painter and artist!!!!!! Circulation efforts are ok, but at the end (as it happens with some other things and topics) your paintings would be seen by the one who have to seen them at the right moment!!!!! :) . Still-congratulations!!!!!!! :wink:

Return to “Artstalk”